07 S8 Red oil light

Ok, my son’s S8 has started showing the Red oil symbol and does not allow the car to start. This has happened 2 twice now and this morning he was going to work and the car would not start and the red oil ligjt came on. Always the car runs excellent, especially after the intake manifold change out.

My questions are ( no codes, oil level is great )

Oil pressure switch?
Oil presure Sensor?
Anything else?

Thanks

Do a scan, VCDS will tell you which sensor to look at

Can you please post a picture of the light? Just to be sure.

Most likely the oil pressure switch went bad. It should be on the front of the valley of the engine I am not sure if you have to remove the intake manifold or not. Can probably move the front end into service position to replace it.

Not necessarily. The older cars would just throw the red oil can light for oil pressure with no fault code stored.

ah, did not know that, good to know!

Its just a red oil can looking symbol, no codes…

Ugh, we just did the intake manifold, any pic of the location??

Do you have any pictures of the intake off. I might be able to spot it and show you what it looks like. I thought it was off the back of the oil filter housing. But if you post a picture and it has the housing I should be able to point it out.

I went through our pics for reassembly and I didnt find one with the manifold out.

I did do some digging today because of Jimmybones post, the switch being located in the front valley, I did find a picture of a engine out and it does look like the part we ordered…just need to figure out how to get it out without removing the intake again, it’s right at the bottom of the intake by a few sensors you have to unplug to take the manifold out.

UPDATE, we were able to change the Oil pressure switch, which turned off the RED OIL CAN SYMBOL without removing the intake manifold, you will need time and an extra pair of smaller hands, long extention knuckle socket to reach the switch. It took us about an hour because we couldn’t line up the plug at first…

The B6/7 S4s had the oil pressure switch on the back of the oil filter housing but the FSI 4.2s and 5.2s have it on the front of the valley of the engine by the front of the intake manifold. It is really tight with not much room.

https://dms-discourse-static.s3.amazonaws.com/optimized/2X/5/5fafd57eb18c67023d46ee971a359b512590840a_1_690x388.jpg

If you zoom in on that picture then you can see it.

You’re welcome jabet413. Glad that it fixed your problem.