any ideas on a suspension clunk, usually while backing out of parking space

Not for me. No clunk until I turn the wheel.

i was gonna say check the brakes as well. Floating caliper. Im moving on from control arms because he said they were replaced recently. ALSO. Does this model have anti rattle clips like the B7 s4? If so it could be those if they happen to have anti rattle clips.

This clunk happens when control arms are going bad upper and/or lower, also there was a service bulletin on the bushings and bushing grease that makes a noise similar other this. Also the bushings make noise in extreme weather.

When does this happen temp wise?

I haven’t noticed any difference between summer/winter. Garage is 2 floors down, maybe 18-20C now going into summer.

What suspension components have been replaced and at what nileage vs now?

I have a little clunk in the front passenger side when it’s hot out. I didn’t notice it at all during the colder months. I’m pretty positive it’s my UCAs and the bushing is just stiffer when it’s cold and doesn’t allow the extra play.

I finally got my car on a lift for new pads & rotors. All the control arms/bushings looked fine and we were finally able to hear the ‘clunk’ when we backed the car away from the lift. My mechanic is convinced the sound is coming from the brake assembly. Apparently there is a TSB on this, and it’s not a problem. It only seems to happen during parking maneuvers so I guess I can accept that.

But does anyone have more details on this TSB?

I’m convinced that the sound is coming from my steering rack - usually when I am turning the wheel a fair amount with the brakes applied. This seems to be the case when parking. Does anyone have any experience with inspecting steering racks?

Mine did this their was a TSB which I never pursed where they used different grease I believe on the control arms or some other part of the suspension. It only happen to me on full lock scenarios driving slow and typically when cold and it wasn’t worth me investigating. If it’s killing you yeah check out the steering rack but I’m not convinced that’s the problem given similar symptoms mine had?

Have you checked the steering rack bolts? There is one on each side as I recall, but I had one loose UNDER the battery tray that caused a clunk at low speed when turning from side to side. Worth checking out as it’s pretty easy to do.

Yes I would try this first. I have seen this before. The bolts should be semi easy to get to. You will have to pull the intermiediet firewall cover off and look down in that area. I think its packed up front due to the battery being in the trunk on the S6 and S8 but if you look around you should see the bolts. Or even have someone look from up top as you slowly go in reverse with the steering in the position that causes the clunk

Happy Fathers Day everyone!

I’m going to the mechanic tomorrow to get the AC checked out. But while I’m there, I’d like to have the “steering rack bolts” inspected. Can someone help me find a part no/diagram to show the mechanic - we have a little language barrier.

Here are some links to help out:

http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/images/parts/Audi/fullsize/448422100.jpg

http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=748495&ukey_make=1081&ukey_model=15649&modelYear=2007&ukey_category=21739&ukey_driveLine=8056&ukey_trimLevel=19048&searchString=steering+rack

http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=5643554&ukey_assembly=748853&ukey_make=1081&ukey_model=15649&ukey_driveline=8056&ukey_trimlevel=19048&modelYear=2007

I can’t help with the numbers but I would say that you get a mechanic that understands what you’re trying to have done

This is the best like to use

http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/images/parts/Audi/fullsize/448422100.jpg

If you have more questions about the picture or what parts to mention to your tech feel free to ask

Thx justincredible. Are we talking about bolts 11,12 on the diagram above?

FWIW, I had the exact same symptoms you describe on my A6, but on the right side. One of the lower control arm bolts wasn’t tight. This wasn’t visually apparent, but was obvious as soon as I put a a wrench on it.

It’s an easy thing to check if that wasn’t done already (it sounds as if they may have just checked the bushings?)

yup 11 and 12 hold the rack in but you really do need to check the upper suspension bolts that can be found in the engine bay and from there check the pintch bolts and all the sway bar and end link bolts as well. usually the clunks are the suspension pushing out under load and they can only do that when there is a little play somewhere. So checking the steering rack is a good idea but I would think it would be an issue all the time and not just backing out. Still check it but also give the full suspension bolts a good look.

Sorry for the delayed report.

Had the car on the lift (with a different mechanic than usual) in order to check the AC compressor.

But I told him about the suspension clunks and he proceeded to push/pull the tires around the steering axis on both sides and took a pry bar to all the joints to check for play. The control arms joints were all tight and bushings were all fine. But he could hear a noise when he rotated the driver side tire through a turn. He said it must be somewhere inside the steering rack.

Thanks for the update. It will be interesting to hear what exactly is the issue