B8 S4/S5 Suspension Thread

So I finally received a response from Jobn and H&R. He doesn’t recommend going with any spring higher than H&Rs

RF160080
456lbs/in

I asked is this was because the strut couldn’t handle it, and he simply stated “Yes”.

Now,whether or not it can, and H&R simply doesn’t offer a stiffer spring for the rear and he didn’t want to say “shop elsewhere” I can’t say for sure.

Dang, that’s kinda sad. That’s pretty much stock rear rate.
Are the RSS adjustable? If you can dial up the rebound out back, that would help a great deal!

They are single adjustable, and I have them on full stiff right now and my fronts are 3 clicks from full stuff. Car handles great(to me), would love to have drob23(Mike) go for ride in it since he has been on a track.

Like I said also, sway bar is soft in front and full stiff in rear as well.

Considering they are only 66$ a piece on amazon I will probably pick them up, this is my DD after all.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C7LIFM0?pc_redir=1406669691&robot_redir=1

I had mine installed on Wednesday. I do like it so far - the car does have some more noticeable grip around corners. The ride isn’t harsh at all. Me likies. It’s raining a bunch (since it is the Pacific NorthWet) but I will be flogging the car around corners quite a bit. Next track day is in November.

I confirmed the springs that came with the RSS+ is the below:
685lbs/in Front
342lbs/in Rear

I have it 5 clicks back from stiffest to start.

Haha I’m in the novice class man, not even close to a credible butt dyno! I’m sure Ray can tell you a lot more. Will be fun to meet up again. You gonna do a day at Milan in the fall? Or you could always come down to mid-Ohio on October 18-19 8)

I will be hitting the strip every Saturday starting Ovtober 4th until they are closed.

St Thomas Ontario Oct 4

Ubly Michigan October 12

Milan or St. Thomas after that as Ubly is closed after the 12.

http://i59.tinypic.com/qpigc3.jpg

This is my JRZ RS1 kit. Just a few more modifications to it. Some kind of spring gasket has to go on it to keep it quiet.

niiiiiiiiiice
these are single adjustable for rebound? have you seen a shock dyno?

Yes, single adjustable. I presume Performance Shock in Sonoma would have a shock dyno. What would I ask them to measure?

Those are going to be a bitch to adjust based on the location of the lever.

Right. The dialing in and alignment process will probably take as long as actually installing the suspension. Lots of putting it on the lift, adjusting, lower the car off of the lift, measure, repeat. I’ll test it at Thunderhill. I hope we get it right the first time, but that would be the first time that’s ever happened with a custom suspension :slight_smile:

Would be cool to see what the JRZ curves look like on this application.
Usually, they test the shock at all the settings, so you see all the curves available at each “indent” for the rebound adjustments. It gives you an idea of how the shocks were tuned front vs rear, and based on that, you can make more thoughtful choices on how you’d want to adjust…bc you know what the base curves look like for front and back.

You can also see how much each shock adjustment affects the curve. Sometimes, you see funny things like the “stiffest” setting actually being softer than the initial setting…stuff like that.

I should be able to accommodate your request. I’m curious myself.

“Dyno costs are $15.00 per damper. If you brought them in today we are probably about 3 weeks out. Rush service is $75.00 per damper. Please let us know if you are coming by, we close at 5pm and 4pm on Friday.”

I suppose it would be useful to also have them dyno the OEM suspenion with 39,000 miles and 25 track days on it, to see what the relative performance is.

That would be sweet!

Here’s what it should look like:

http://rs4.thefarnys.com/psi-racelines-ohlin-ttx36.html

When I find out the numbers I should be able to dial in a precise stiffness on the JRZ. What is ideal for half track half street not daily driver aggressive alignment?

Didn’t see this till now.
Interesting! There is a TON more front rebound at the stiffest setting compared to the rear. You can also see the digressive curve, so ride quality is probably quite nice on the JRZ’s to boot.

On full stiff, the front favors rebound, and the rear favors bump. But on the softer settings, the reverse is true. The front struts are valved for a lot more spring than the rears. What rates did you end up going with?

RE: alignment - not much to play with on a street car (toe/camber/caster). I recall your previous alignment settings to be pretty solid. Again, it depends on what you are trying to address. Me personally, I’m gunning for -2.5 to -3 front camber, -1 to -1.5 rear camber next year, with 1mm front toe out, 0mm rear toe. I find there is way not enough trailing throttle rotation, and the car totally stinks on corner entry. Those #'s should loosen it right up :smiley:

I’m not worried about it being “too loose” bc let’s face it, it’s awd and 55/45 weight distribution. FWIW most proper front heavy awd/ff track cars actually end up running rear toe OUT to help with the trailing throttle rotation. I’m not going that crazy until I try something more neutral first.

Boro,

Correct me if I am wrong, bust West’s link was to another coilover setup, he is saying he can hopefully get his similiar, I believe the setup he posted is a 5000$+ setup.

If he could get his dialed in similarly, than, like you said, it should be very nice indeed.

LOL wow, I did not even catch that. I went straight to the graphs.
Right. One is Ohlins, one is JRZ. Both are for different chassis applications to boot.
Still interested in how JRZ’s look. The Ohlins look SOLID though! I personally wish there was more rear rebound for our application though :slight_smile:

Got them today. I think they have 24 clicks of adjustment. I suppose I should get like 6 plots on the shock dyno? Do we have to space them out (to let them cool down) or will these shocks just perform on back to back dynos?

http://i61.tinypic.com/dbmbzk.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/2i7tpjq.jpg