Brembo GT-R as a solution to B8 brake heat

That’s my point.

AP’s other street car kit is the Radical, but this is just a downmarket Brembo GT caliper. Those AP race calipers you linked are not really for street cars, though they are interesting (would need constant rebuilds and would be prone to failure). I don’t think we need to reinvent the inside of the wheel - Brembo has productizied it as a GT-R, and someone has to take the bait.

The pad compound not a problem - pagid yellow RS29 is the best out there. I think the massive Brembo pad will help (it’s $650.25 for the fronts compared to the $308 I pay now). I don’t know anyone who has the tooling to machine a custom titanium shim for my AP kit, and I don’t think Stillen has the tooling either.

I’ve seen demonstrations where a vendor will take popular BBK calipers, put them in a vice, and show how the 2 piece calipers bend. Then they put a monobloc caliper in the same vice under 2x as much force and it doesn’t deflect. I see value in this.

You still need some direct airflow over the brakes. Makes quite a bit of difference. (and is cheaper than a new BBK)

Go to hard brakes.com, I’m sure they make shims for your kit.

Why? I know it doesn’t hurt, but why is it requisite? The pad is good for bursts of up to 1382 Fahrenheit. The disc won’t crack at sustained 900 degrees F. So what part of the system are we lowering the temperatures for?

If we’re optimizing for not boiling the fluid, that’s the whole point of this caliper design.

So west, why do you think the rs cars, m3’s and gt3’s come with factory brake ducts?

Are you really asking why brake cooling matters?

My 325i had wheel well ventilation, and some other NA sports cars do. The E90 M3 didn’t have that because all of the radiators in the front block it, like our S4. Wheel well ventilation is not the same as a ducting system that pipes air through a plastic tube onto the disc, held on by a metal flange. Those kits are cool but they require rebuilds every year. The tube rips from the action of turning the wheel. If the tube fails on track it can rip out your brake line and you can crash. It’s not a simple or elegant solution. It’s high maintenance.

The new Porsches don’t have front and rear ducting either. People still worry about it even though Porsche comes with great brakes. Rear and mid engine cars rely a bit more on the rears than we do (and there’s a lot of heat back there from the motor).

http://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-forum/757435-rear-brake-ducts-for-987s.html

Gents, I’ve been spanked for this but as some of you know I’ve got Brembo’s all around. No regrets, no problems except one must be careful their wheels fit over them, especially in the rear. Thanks.

So carrying your stock rear calipers around in the trunk wired up to spoof the parking brake controller is considered “no problems”? But fitting over the wheels is ???

lol… I’d say that’s a decent problem with an expensive “solution.”

OK, don’t put big brakes in the back, I don’t care! If anyone else comes up with a way to run a BBK all around please advise…but there is no other.

hwut now?

Dont confuse cost down with situations like this. All the GT Porsches still come with brake ducting. Boxsters are not driven on the track.

get em! it would be cool to see these on a B8 S4 and for someone to review them. doesn’t seem like your worried about the coin, so what the heck, yolo.

Didn’t you do that to retain the cruise control? If so then it is possible to go BBK all around just without cruise control.

Yes, that’s true but I’m uncertain what the shop did with the VCDS to keep the lights out. I also had no parking brake. This seems to horrify numerous people! GMP performance in Charlotte NC did the set up. Cody is the tech. He’s usually very busy but may advise you. Good luck.

Apparently a lot of the Boxster Spyder people are track nuts. Hooked On Driving and PCA allow them to run. The seats in the Boxster are really deep and the roll bars are quite high, more than a Z4, SLK, Miata, etc. It would be safe to track it.

I feel increasingly like the 981 Boxster is a modern interpretation of an e46 M3.

It looks like AWE Tuning fabricated front and rear brake ducting on their heavily modified car. Oddly, it uses OEM genuine Audi rotors and calipers (with Pagid pads).

This is a good idea, I just don’t want to invent and fabricate it myself and like I said it’s another thing to keep after. If they productize it, great.

http://i59.tinypic.com/15d2a92.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/358a140.jpg

As I understand it, those silicone hoses will tear from day to day driving and need somewhat frequent replacing.