Great video showing how to launch from motortrend

mec, I don’t know how you launch a 2.0T. Tough call.

Go watch and see what Jason does when he fucks Jake’s wife…I mean drive’s Jake’s car… in the K03 record video.

On the v8 cars that make decent torque from pretty much any RPM, we tend to hold RPMs at around 3500-3800 RPMs, and just lights out drop the clutch and go full throttle when it’s go time.

ESP off
Clutch to floor
1st gear
hold 3600 RPM
in one swift motion, off the clutch, fully on the gas

If you bog, try 3800 RPM. THen 4000. If you spin too much, try 3400 RPM. Then 3200. You can also adjust tire pressure. I reckon with a 2.0T it’s going to bog though so 40 PSI may be better than 28. The key to a fast, effective launch is a little tiny hint of wheelspin but not too much…and not no wheelspin unless you’re a savant and know what’s perfect.

The wheelspin says ‘I’m making some power here and overcoming quattro’.
Too much wheelspin says ‘this looks cool but is fucking slow’.
Not enough usually says ‘excuse me guys, I just bogged it and am going to go get my 2.3 second 60’ timeslip that says 14 something now’

The turbo cars do it on the upswing sometimes. Primetime has a TTRS and I believe holds low RPMs, then pushes his throttle to the floor and releases the clutch at approximately 5500 RPMs on the way up (tach needle sweeping up).

Jason from JHM does it on the upswing in those old videos but his fastest times in the B5 he actually launched off much lower RPMs a little more conventionally.

It really depends on your car.

On this video, listen to my tires on the launch…tiny little bit of squeaky but predominantly good traction. That was likely a high 1.7 to low 1.8 60’ time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NbW68kZqPtM#t=33

Man does Mistro ever reel me in. I jumped WAY out on him and it came down to 1/100th I think. He has JHM tune, LW flywheel and LW rotors on me. Pretty solid delta. We both have JHM catted fullback exhaust.

Here’s another run in-car for me. Again, not sure how much this helps you, but it lets me whore out my videos and the JHM RS4 exhaust :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A139HdfABlA#t=17

Aw hey now!

The 2.0t needs some motivation. Our launch assist is at 5700 and it skirts the tires and goes… at least for a k03.

I can promise it doesn’t launch at 5700 RPMs. It triggers launch assist there, but probably launches down at around 4000

COUNT VOHN??!!!

It’s different than the NA v8 LA

How’d I do?

http://youtu.be/2qtHLTXTN94

Ps. Where is the button to embed videos? I am tech noob.

wanna bet?

We raised it up a few times to keep it from bogging and getting the right amount of wheel spin to get out of the hole. We have seen a consistent 1.8-1.9 60ft even with the stock S4 exhaust.

First go was 4500, Second was 5500, last was 5700. If they all just launched at 4k RPM then finding the perfect RPM to launch from would have been meaning less.

Like I said, this is not the same LA as the S4 or RS4. It does not hold Vacuum either like a modified rev limiter would as it bounces 1-2 PSI

Isn’t the jakemobile one of the B7 A4 test mules? I just love that JHM are using old OEM B7 S4 exhausts for this platform - eco friendly recycling!

Haha yessir! My car is the black one in all of the 1/4mile videos.