Helping my Dad, ordered a Q5 but then ran across the SQ5

Thank you for the insight. You hit the nail on the head about his ride preference. I will continue searching on here as well, but I ll tell him to keep his existing order. Once again, thank you so much.

Another reason your Dad may prefer the Q5 3.0T is the availability of drive select dampers. They are not available on the SQ5 and allows you to change the road feel from comfort to firm (dynamic) on the fly.

What “seat inserts” are you referring to? If you select the Sline package on the Q5 you get a flat bottom steering wheel and sport bolster seating with adjustable leg supports.

That is great to know. I am referring to the seats on the SQ5 that have the choice of colors such as (I do apologize if I am using the wrong terminology for that option):

Black Leather/Alcantara® seating surfaces
Black Lunar Silver Leather/Alcantara® seating surfaces
Black | Lunar Silver Fine Nappa leather seats
Black | Magma Red Fine Nappa leather seats
etc…

The Q5, based upon my navigation of their site only allows these choices for seat interiors:

Black leather seating surfaces
Titanium Gray leather seating surfaces
Pistachio Beige leather seating surfaces
Chestnut Brown leather seating surfaces

You’re right, the SQ5 allows for some nice seat materials and colour combinations that you can’t get on the Q5. However, functionality the Sline Q5 seats are quite good.

That is kind of my feeling. Thanks a lot for your input, it has been truly help both you and justincredible.

Just wondering: Do you know if he drove/considered the Q5 3.0TDi? We drove all of them and ended up choosing the TDi. The torque and fuel mileage are both amazing…

Honestly, he owns a 2012 Ford f250 PowerStroke, diesel here is more expensive for most of the year in comparison to Premium, and the DEF was a deal breaker. He did not want to maintain 2 diesel vehicles. He did test drive everything but the SQ5.

[quote=“HighPsi_NorCal,post:9,topic:7258”]
That’s cool - I’m sure he’ll like it.

FWIW, we’re averaging almost 30 mpg so far with ours. Fuelly reports 11.1 cents per mile fuel cost vs. my S4 3.0TFSi’s 19.0 cents per mile…(similar motor, lighter vehicle)

[quote=“zcd1,post:10,topic:7258”]

Wow. I’m at $0.271 per mile. What do I win?

You win an ultra premium gold star for a tiny carbon footprint :wink:

A diesel motor is a very dirty motor, and while most things can be controlled on the diesel motor, the emissions are the one area that is a very difficult area for engineers to design an efficient system at this point, so the diesel emissions systems have become extremely complicated in the process of trying to meet epa and cafe standards. Hence the introduction of DEF, Regeneration Probes/Mode, Oxidation/Reduction Diesel Cats, Particulate filters, etc. Also in California, a gas vehicle is exempt from smog for 6 years while a diesel falls immediately into the emission program (every other year emissions test), additionally, emission warranty only last for so long (7-10 years), which once that is up, it falls on you for making the car emission compliant should something fail in this extensive system, so while you may report 11.1 cents per mile, after calculating in all the operating costs, it will above that figure and too mention again, he does not want to maintain another diesel vehicle.

That is awesome that you are satisfied with your purchase.

So he plans to keep the car longer than 7-10 years? Wow.

My first thought when I read this was that he/you thought that the TDi would have similar maintenance/repair costs to the PowerStroke. If that’s not what you meant, then I misunderstood. To say that the PowerStroke series has been problematic would be an understatement. By contrast, TDis have generally been very reliable and long-lasting.

Thanks.

That 3.0T is a great motor, and the Q5 in general is really well turned out. As I wrote, I’m sure he’ll really enjoy the vehicle.

He just sold his 2001 Ford Powerstoke with 350k miles, and 2006 MB E55, while he still owns a 2007 BMW X3, all bought brand new.

My first thought when I read this was that he/you thought that the TDi would have similar maintenance/repair costs to the PowerStroke. If that’s not what you meant, then I misunderstood. To say that the PowerStroke series has been problematic would be an understatement. By contrast, TDis have generally been very reliable and long-lasting.

Thank you, I appreciate your insight into this platform, as I have said, I am not the most fluent in Audi models…yet.

Cheers

I wanted to follow up. He got the car last night, really a gorgeous machine. Here are some pics (sorry for the crappy phone camera)

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/m-tre/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1908_zpssnco7jgh.jpg

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/m-tre/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1909_zpsmkmdaeq4.jpg

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/m-tre/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1910_zpsf6y60f6i.jpg

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/m-tre/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1912_zpsxzwwupbe.jpg

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/m-tre/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1911_zpsd5hfxvpz.jpg

[quote=“zcd1,post:10,topic:7258”]

that works out to about $3000/tank.

Have him bring it by for a tune!

Those are very nice cars. So it looks like he didnt go for the SQ version. If you get a chance to drive it I would love to hear your impressions of the car as you already own a high performance audi

You know I have already been in his ear about it. Well see if he goes for it.

I will have an opportunity this weekend so I will post back with my impression.

[quote=“sakimano,post:16,topic:7258”]
Huh?

[quote=“zcd1,post:20,topic:7258”]

multiplication fail by me

It was $30 not $3000

(assuming 300 miles per tank)

with that being said, you say 11 cents per mile? That’s $33 per tank (around 60 L assuming you get 500 kms out of a tank). Is that accurate? If so, where do you buy your gasoline!?!

Your S4 you said was 19 cents…that’s about $55/tank which makes more sense.

Fuelly.com calculated those figures. You can check the figures in my profile there if you like…

Q5’s tank holds 19.6 gallons. Pure (not Bio-blended) diesel runs about $3.15/gallon around here. Car’s averaging a bit over 30 mpg.