How-To: C6 S6 Intake Manifold Removal & Carbon Clean

Oh well.

Took off the intake last weekend to install JHM spacers and do some walnut blasting.
When I installed the Y plenum the last of the aluminum screws snapped at 9nm.

Lucky me I had an exact match in stainless, so no more snapping!

Guess I jinxed it.

I just posted this in another thread. I soooo completely agree with eng92.

I don’t use the TQ measurements for basic things as smaller bolts. The rule of thumb for me. snug + 1/4 turn. once you tighten something with a TQ wrench a few times you can see how much 9mn is and how much 20nm is. You get a general idea. The thinner the bolt the less tq it is going to handle. The thickness of the bolt generally has a TQ rating for both holding ability and tighten ability.

Even if you’re new to working on cars. Get the TQ wrench out get a feel for what is what TQ wise. But also use your Tq wrench to loosen bolts to get an idea on what range they are at after time. This too helps IMO. If you know you don’t have much common sense feel wise trust the TQ wrench. But most of us even if we’re new can gut instinct the right amount feel wise.

Too many times I have seen the Bentley or other manuals and said. WHAT… F that… That’s a bit too tight for that or even sometimes I think a little more tighter for that is a good idea.