Intake Manifold flap lock in long position thread

The S6 has the ability to have a coil over suspension installed and then have bigger sway bars installed where the S8 isn’t going to be able to have much done when it comes to suspension due to the air suspension. So I def agree with sixsix on that part.

1 Like

Long time lurker first time poster. Been following this thread for years and consider it the pinnacle of BXA intake manifold knowledge, so thank you all.

Ill add myself as a static here. 2007 S6 opened my IM to find 4 flaps broken and plastic bit hanging on for dear life above intake valves in cylinder 5. I gutted the thing and got nothing but EPS faults and CELs. Got a brand new OEM IM and things went back to normal. I plan to do the aluminum sheet mod to the old one as a backup.

I was told by the dealer there is a special metal gasket that seals the OEM manifold halves, can anyone confirm? I just used red RTV and they boo hoo’d my choices.

I took the risk and got these. Having them installed in a couple of weeks. I hope they’ll at least last until I can save up for a replacement manifold or another solution.

To whom it may concern, currently dealing with this. My solution.

1 Like

Nice RRussell. I would file down some of those rivet shanks if you haven’t already. Keep this thread updated with your progress I’m curious to see the result.

How I found it. M manifold.

Looks great. Nice way to handle this situation.

Great idea!

Quick question if you do end up gutting the intake what do you do with the electric motor at the front of the engine that controls them? Do you just disconnect it from the control arms? Unplug it? What’s the solution as I’d imagine it would through up issues? Thank you and I aplogise if this has been asked 100 times?

I thought the M manifold was supposed to be somehow upgraded, how come it still breaks down like that ?

Would recommend leave the electric motor in, and connected electrically, then you have no codes and no issues, but disconnect it mechanically so it doesnt actuate anything.

Long time ago i did that, no flaps but motor installed and connectoed, it work but still CEL light was on

Thanks for the replies

Turns out who ever last installed the im thought it was a good idea to silicone it :man_facepalming:ffs

Im hoping it won’t need to be gutted and looking at it tomorrow once everything else is stripped off as im replacing the pcv and a few other parts

It’s always a great idea to ask questions. When you disconnect the flaps. Its the arms from the motors you can disconnect as well. The only sensors are on the tumble flaps. Those are in the runners above the cylinder heads. So you can just leave the motor(s) plugged in. With the JHM tune you don’t need to remove or mess with the tumble flaps as they’re adjusted in the tune.

1 Like

Quick update from the Im question. Got mine off and the car has had a carbon clean recently and the I’m is in great condition and all flaps in place, working well and in good condition so feel like I’ve dodged a bullet for the time being!

1 Like