Official RS5 supercharger thread!

You’re right and you of all people know just how expensive these engines are, even used ones. The boost ramping of the blue car is stupid and unusable. It reminds me of big turbo Supras that get boost at 4K and redline at 7k. I’m considering getting a warranty for my engine but also considering 4.0tt swapping it while it’s healthy because selling my motor will pay for the 4.0tt and zf8. The only cost would be labor, harness, and tune for the most part. If 125 mph is all we can expect out of factory internals that makes me kinda sad but it’s honestly expected. The supercharger should be a great success but I fear it will be overshadowed by 4.0tt swaps.

1 Like

And for the transmission it sounds like there is some flexibility. In B8/B8.5 cars here in N. America there are some running the ZF8 and at least on that I know of, a S4 running the original DSG. I have driven a few ZF8’s but not a tuned one. I’d like to drive a tuned one to compare it to the DSG. There is the DSG option from the S6/S7 which stock are rated at 406 lb/ft of Torque and you don’t here about a lot of those failing. I even heard about a 6spd conversion in one forum but never heard how it turned out. Need to find the time to scrub these forums further. I’ve already started a folder with links and literature to parts and conversions…we’ll see. Had the engine out of my RS6 twice now and out of the RS5 twice, what’s one more engine plull :frowning:

1 Like

I think we need to put this into a real perspective. From everything we’ve seen from JHM this is basically just something to tease you with. If I had to bet I’d say this was not even close to what JHM has accomplished it’s just what they’re publishing right now.

But time for some perspective.

A $120,000+ 2022 RS7 with a gen 2 4.0T 600hp and 600tq goes 11.3@122. So let that sink in.

The 4.2 RS5 has cats that fail with no tune and no supercharger. I think it’s incredibly responsible to draw a line that someone with cats can look to and expect and if we’re really being honest that’s a crazy fast time for a car on 91 octane let alone a RS5

hahnmgh63 like always brings the sensibility to the conversation. There are a few useless POS hacks that will be happy to fuck up ANYONES car for money with ZERO proof and zero reliability but that’s how most frauds work… That being said JHM actually has a good reputation and has said here is something we believe that can be faster than a brand new 120+K super car but still be relyable… Now if you ask me I don’t see the cats staying alive for too long no matter what you do but applause for what JHM is doing here.

Now to the 4.0T conversation -
On average most 4.0T cars are gen 1 and they with hopped up turbo are in the 10.3 range @ 132ish. I’d be surprised if I didn’t see a healthy mid 10 second or faster pass from JHM on this kit with real gas 93 fuel or better.

Then I think once JHM shows what happens when you turn it up a bit on this kit you’ll really see what is what. This same blower jhm is using wen’t something like 10.7@132 on a stick shift RS4 like 8 years ago. So I think once it’s all sorted you’ll be able to get 4.0T performance for a fraction of the price with the JHM kit… but that’s my .02

2 Likes

I think you’re pretty much spot-on justincredible. The catalysts are really the weak link here but mostly because it’s engine-out to change them. Audi really screwed us with that move. If I spent whatever it’s going to cost for the SC kit and my cats blew out a week later, I might not be too happy. So I understand the conservative tune.

I’m assuming there will be a “plus” tune for cars with cat-less headers but I’d also like to know what the fuel situation is, whether the stock HPFP’s flow enough fuel or are they very close to being maxed out.

On the piston rings, they’re identical to the R8 and they all do quite well with turbos and superchargers. I believe I read a technical document a while back that everything was forged, pistons, rods, and of course, the crank.

On the transmission, the DL501 is strong enough to handle lots more power. The stock clutches are good for 800Nm and there are aftermarket alternatives. I’m in a DL501 chat group that mostly tackles problems with the transmission and it’s about 75% S6 guys. Heavier car, more hp, but many of them are making 700 to 800hp. And it’s still the same problem, the mechatronic, not the gear set. Sometimes it’s worn clutches and you just have to wonder if that is because of failed solenoids and not being able to maintain adequate clutch pressure. But it’s mostly the same as the RS5’s gearbox, different clutch part number and different clutch plate. I haven’t checked to see if the gear ratios are the same.

The ZF8’s are not bulletproof by any means. They overheat too and can have differential issues. But it’s a ubiquitous gearbox used in many different makes/models and probably has a lot more aftermarket support.

2 Likes

Anyone know if the DL511 (w/13 clutch discs) is the same outside dimensions as our DL501 (w/11 clutch discs)?

1 Like

DL511 doesn’t exist it seems

It may not, some literature says DL511 for the S6/S7 and DL501 for the lower powered ROW A6/A7. Some say it is a misprint but I’d like to know for sure if the S6/S7 is the same housing, ie length as ours. Just means on a 4.0t conversion you would need the engine flywheel placed the same and then the OEM RS5 driveshaft (propshaft and front halfshafts) would all work. And you would think the extra 2 friction plates were installed because of the Torque difference between the RS5 and the S6/S7. Tuning benefit to sticking with the DSG would mean the engines ECU base code is tuned for the DSG, an A8/S8/RS6/RS7 motor would be tuned for a ZF 8HP.

1 Like

The DL501’s are all exactly the same dimensionally. The clutches are different and given more clutches, you’ll have more torque capacity. If I remember correctly, the diameter is different and the clutch basket may be different as well. If you swap clutch packs, I would think it’d require a custom tune to adjust the friction points, micro slip and other drivability parameters.

1 Like

If it does not blow out enough by itself, if youre likeminded to me, you can just sort of poke the ceramics out without engine out – has been done. Then see if you pass emissions where needed with a suitable fuel.

I have found 1-2 accounts of engine failues but they could be lemons due to valves dropping. max rpm 6800 should last

1 Like

As far as the S6/S7 DSG, I was only considering the use of it with a 4.0t which it was designed to work behind. Yes, the NSD & PWW were probably designed (oil pump for one) for the higher RPM’s of the CFSA and less friction plates due to the low torque of the motor. I do know 034 used the stock S4 DSG behind their 4.0t conversion, last I heard it was still running. But if I can get a S6/S7 DSG along with a 4.0t that is the route that I would prefer to take. My PWW has low miles and RS5 transmissions are getting hard to find (currently Audi says the are a year out at least if you wanted a new one). I sold the low mile NSD out of my parts car to a shop in N.H. as they had been on a waiting list from Audi for one of their customer cars and finally couldn’t wait any longer. No doubt there will be a market for a low miles 2015 PWW, as of now only 25~26k on it.

1 Like

6400 redline according to this. Max rev rs6 rs7 i googled to be 6800 . Panamera probably the same. You’d want the most solid S6 gearbox as well to tune it up then

It goes up to almost vmax in the 5th gear. I think gears 4 and up are all very high. Exhaust note does not seem great on the s6, might play in

1 Like

That’s about 15.7s to just over 124mph, pretty quick and that is the Avant which is definitely heavier than are car. I’d say that motor with a good tune in a B8.5 would easily do over 300kph and probably easily get into the 10’s with just a Stg2 tune.

1 Like

I also think that a stock motor 4.0tt with bolt ons and tune paired to the ZF8 can easily achieve 9’s when in a weight reduced B8.5 platform. One day I might achieve that. I see no reason to keep selling cars and buying used ones that are a few years newer. There’s a distinct change in quality in 2013 across almost every brand and I am drawn to 2011-2015 cars of every European brand. I think a 4.0tt deserves to be in the B8.5 as much as the CFSA. If Audi had put the 4.0tt in the B8.5 chassis there would have been no debate on the 2010’s greatest car ever. It would’ve smoked GTR’s and MKIV supras that owned the streets back then.

1 Like

Have to agree, almost everything has taken a downturn in terms of quality over the past decade or more. Either The Atlantic or the New Yorker did a fascinating article looking at that very topic, taking in the cost of inflation, globalization and a few other factors. There was another article by a woman who compared a bra she’d bought a decade prior. Bought the same bra but none of it was the same other than the cost. The company had taken measures to decrease production costs to keep the end cost within earshot of what it was a decade ago. Yet the bra didn’t last like the old one did and was quickly done in within a year. Consumers often don’t want to pay the increased cost for the same quality product due to historical economic bias. Then there’s the whole wage and economic disparity gap that’s zapped the middle class.

We live in the iPhone generation, a new model every year, where expensive tech is quickly outdated. At least my iPhone 4 still works. It’s so small I can’t read anything on the screen any longer (without glasses) but it comes in handy as a music-only device.

My only criticism of the 4.0TT is the overall nature of the motor isn’t as exciting from an aural and even drivability standpoint vs the CFSA. Race car drivers almost always prefer naturally aspirated motors for a reason. On top of that, a car is a system and as such, the engineering, top to bottom has to be equal. Otherwise you get a straight line monster and not much else. Or a widow maker. I had one of those. It made 603hp at the rear wheels and weighed about 2500 pounds with me in it. Blindingly fast, no traction control, it’d go sideways in 4th gear round 4500rpm when the GT42R turbo came on song (think dinner plate size). I could only stuff 285’s all around, nothing larger without flares, but being RWD, it simply wasn’t enough.

Not saying the RS5 couldn’t do with another 100hp/100ft lb. of torque but just make sure the rest of the package is improved as well.

It’s pretty good as is. Not a day goes by where I don’t drive it and hit redline a few times. No rule against having 2 of them :slight_smile:

Hate to keep interupting the Supercharger thread with more 4.0t thread but here is an impressive video of an S4 with a RS6/RS7 4.0t

Wasn’t sure about the gear ratios on the standard s6 box but does not matter if it’s that fast. Standard it shifts very predictably into 2nd at 50 kph, 3 100 kph, 4 150 kph and 200 kph 5 (exactly) could do with a tune to rev it higher imo. It’s an interesting tradeoff high rev vs engine life. I wonder at what price the RS6 engine can be bought. Quite a face lift putting into the b8 platform in my personal view :wink:

First customer car looks to be getting the supercharger installed now. Looking forward to some more visibility on the kit. I have more questions regarding bearing health, fueling, and current limitations.

1 Like

I’m friends with the owner of that car as he’s a long-time client. Excited to hear his thoughts.

Just a PSA, JHM is looking for two more people to have the SC installed at the shop. You’ll get a discounted price for the supercharger and installation (and it’s a very good price). If you 're interested, email me, sales@redmistracing.com and I can provide pricing/info and get you connected. The car must be in perfect working order and any issues with the car will need to be either fixed first or fixed there at JHM before the SC installation.

This will be a final run to make sure the instructions all make sense prior to kits being available to the general public. You can also purchase the full SC kit through me at www.redmistracing.com once the time comes.

You’ll be responsible for the car’s transportation to and from JHM so those that are closer, this is a pretty good deal. Or if you’re looking for a road trip, might be an awesome way to go about it.

2 Likes