RS5 Engine failure

Thanks!

If you check the specs, the Castrol Edge sold in N. America isnā€™t as good as the stuff sold in Europe so it wouldnā€™t be my first choice in N. America. Iā€™m going to stick to my Redline oil.

1 Like

Will check that out. The discussion about which oil to use probably deserves its own thread. It would be possible to compare oil samples of different oil using the kms/miles to oil change intervals in the on-board computer, as it takes driving style, # of cold starts etc into account (although probably not perfectly).

On another, new, topic, for burning off water and similar after the car has been sitting, before revving high, I am guessing just use the oil temperature gauge. You can maybe even just let it idle, since the fans and any cooling from air movement is minimized.

Well, at least the new engine/transmission are in the same picture as the car. Currently rebuilding the rear suspension but hopefully get the package installed in the next week or two. Sold the OEM hood so I have to wait until Seibon does another batch of hoods, hopefully Jan or Feb.

2 Likes

You could just get an A5/a4 hood in the meantime along with the whole rear subframe, might be easier. Have you considered Ohlins struts?

Those headers look mean as fook !! Very nice indeed buddy nice job will be beautiful once it all together. Keep up the good work :+1::grin:

I could do the A5 hood or steal the Carbon Fiber hood off my S5. I originally bought the Seibon Carbon Fiber hood for the RS5 but the S5 project got finished first so thatā€™s where the hood ended up. Got the hood painted so now it would look out of place on the RS5.
Iā€™m going with KWV3ā€™s as I have them on another Audi and have been very happy with them. I know the Ohlins have a good track reputation too but the recommended rebuild frequence on them is too often for a street car.
Iā€™ve also got the JHM Aluminum flywheel and now there are a few on Audizine who are compaining about some rattling going on. Sounds like it isnā€™t a driveability issue, just when idling. Iā€™ll definitely follow that thread for the next couple of weeks.

Guessing thatā€™s just gear lash. The dual mass is designed specifically to target that but if you go supercharged, itā€™ll be a weak point. Not so with the single mass JHM flywheel.

Well, not what I wanted to read the day my car goes in for the JHM flywheel.

I guess we will see :frowning:

I would think the sound is going to be very minor. You wonā€™t be able to hear it over the engine anyway, LOL.

1 Like

You can hear it but only in park once you select gear that goes away completely its not terrible itā€™s just something you have to get used to as it different from the dual mass flywheel.
And as Ape is saying its gear lash something you get with having a single mass flywheel.

Good to know, thanks!

Again, with JHM race headers, probably wonā€™t be able to hear it, lol

Look up Ducati dry clutch sound on YouTube. Iā€™ve owned one and it always sounded like the motor was about to fail when at a stoplight, LOL. But the clutch basket is often ā€œventedā€ and open so makes it extremely loud.

So what was the verdict ? I had one on my B7 RS4 and the noise didnā€™t worry me but being a manual meant you could control shifts etc, with the RS5 Iā€™m more interested in how it impacts gear changes or driveline snatch

Flywheel or Headers?

Flywheel

Itā€™s installed but the engine is still out for the header install.

From the feedback Iā€™ve heard itā€™s a great mod, very little to no chatter, and because the car is a dual clutch, no issues with the clutch engagement, stalling, rpm etc

No issues with gear change etc at all just as smooth as it always has been thatā€™s up and down the gears. Gear chatter you do get but only when in park but its not to bad at all and once in gear it goes away and sounds silent just as before with OEM flywheel !

Ok sounds the same as I had in the RS4 manual then :+1:

First footage Iā€™ve seen of an RS5 with the flywheel other than JHMā€™s launch video 12 months ago:

RPMā€™s rise and fall super quick, looks great:

@SteveRS4 any luck on some footage for your pals?!