RS5 Road Racing Upgrades!

Hey. @hahnmgh63, yes it definitely did, especially when attacking corners at high speeds. You can feel it esp when you go around roundabouts, hair-pins, etc. the car’s rear feels tight and composed, almost like thrashing an RS3/Golf around a corner. It’s only 80 bucks as well, so definitely not expensive.

I have a similar setup to you for my B8 RS4, as below

1. Canyon Run CR-15 strut brace
  2. Bilstein PSS10/B16
  3. 034motorsport spherical end links (front + rear)
  4. 034motorsport aluminium X-brace
  5. 034motorsport transmission inserts set
  6. 034motorsport transmission rubber mount
  7. 034motorsport rear subframe aluminium inserts
  8. ECS rear lower control arm brace
  9. 034motorsport rear toe link
  10. supersprint down pipe + mid pipe
  11. KN air filter
  12. 034 street density motor mounts for RS5/S5 V8
  13. Goodridge S/S brake lines brake
  14. Girodisc Magic pads
  15. SPC camber-adjustable upper control arms
  16. Powerflex bushings - purple for rear control arms
  17. 034motorsport rear sway bar 25.4mm
  18. JHMotorsport stage 2 ECU + TCU remap
  19. RMR transmission cooler for Borg-Warner DL501
  20. Girodisc front rotors 380mm
  21. Girodisc rear rotors 320mm
  22. JXB performance drive shaft carrier upgrade

I used to have H&R front + rear sways, however I found the front sway to be too stiff, causing understeer, and thus swapped out to stock from sway bar and rear is 034 + endlinks. The result is a livelier front end, which I find good for mountain carving

Interested to hear your thoughts on mountain carving setup as well!

Here’s latest pic of my car, with an added roof box these days

Looks like you have spent quite a bit on getting your RS4 to handle perfectly v nice !!

Have you got the links to the UltraRacing front top strut brace and the ECS rear lower control arm brace at all ?

I’ve just myself changed the complete front control upper and lower and suspension arms on the front with Mylar HD kit and swapped out my DRC to Bilsteins PSS10’s with KW DRC Cancellation Kit and love the difference its made so these other items will go well with what I’ve already done ! I already had H&R ARB front and rear with ECS front and rear drop links fitted.

Hey Steve,

Whoaaa look at all those different bright colors, you got a lovely setup there as well! Here’s a pic of mine with the rear lower control arm brace (black and red)

I initially went with 034 lower control arms, however the shop I went to did not install them properly, and so the bushings ripped after a year. I then went with Meyle HD on FCP euro since they offer that lifetime free replacement program for the same parts.

Here’s the links for the two items:

1. ECSTuning rear lower control arm brace: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/rear-lower-control-arm-brace/008050ecs01kt/

Simple to install, just need a good torque wrench as the torque values are quite high and require 90 degrees or more after tightening. Make sure to do it while at ride height.

1. UltraRacing front top strut brace: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394006543846?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=TjkuUTGBQEm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=-IBOhu_-S46&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

You can find this quite easily on other sites from eBay as well. I ordered this initially and it required a 5 week wait time, so I just cancelled it and ordered from another place.

Word of caution on fitment though; since this bar is intended for B8 RS5, which has a bulgier hood than B8 RS4, the bar will be touching the hood on B8 RS4. The mounting points are identical, so installing is easy. But you may need to file the bar at one certain point to alleviate pressure between strut bar and hood. You may also need to remove the heat proof mat attached to the hood. I have attached pic and circled the part that requires filing down. It will definitely not look pretty as you are removing the paint on the bar.

The torque values for the strut bar’s mounting points are 40NM + 90 degrees.

Just ordered 2 of the lower control arm braces from ECS, they are on sale right now. One for my RS5 and one for the S5. I’ll get them installed next week hopefully.

1 Like

nice, let me know what you think. FYI the torque values are 70NM + 180 degrees, at ride height.

Thanks for the links Andrew much appreciated :+1:

Yes I’ve went with FCP Euro for my Mylar HD arms etc for the same reason cost me an extra few quid but worth it. I might do the rear control arms as well now.

I’m happy with the set up its not to hard a ride one of the reasons I went with the HD’s than powerflex bushes or 034. I replaced all top mounts as well for good measure so everything front end is new feels great what a difference !

Love your set up you have dialed it in perfectly by the sounds of things.
Out of interest what have you set your Bilsteins to ie number of clicks front and back ?

Ooo thanks for the heads up Mark ill get this ordered asap :+1:

Hey Steve,

My B16/PSS10 is set to 5 clicks front, 4 clicks rear.

Since you already got the JHM stage 2 and also other power upgrades, may I suggest some drivetrain upgrades, it really helps with alleviating power loss/drivetrain sloppiness.

I have the following installed, which I found really helps putting the power down and improve throttle response.

1. 034 drivetrain inserts
  2. 034 density line street motor mounts for V8
  3. 034 transmission rubber mount
  4. JXBPerformance driveshaft carrier upgrade

1-3 are also available on ECSTuning, as polyurethane inserts rather than aluminium ones.

JHM has an upgrade similar to 4 as well: https://jhmotorsports.com/products/jhm/driveshaft-center-support-bearing-carrier-insert-billet-upgrade-kit-jhm-no-cutting-required-for-all-audi-vw-b5-c5-b6-c6-b7-c7-b8-and-more.html

all of them made significant, noticeable differences in acceleration and exiting corners; never tested it with equipment before but i am quite sure it helped me reduce 0.1-0.2 on my 0-100km/h time. I did a drag race with an IE Stage 1 B8.5 S4, and it exceeded the S4 by at least 1-1.5 car lengths, which was better than i expected (search Chris Harris S4 vs RS4 video on youtube)

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the info on Bilsteins I have not set mine up yet as I thought I’d get a few miles done so things can settle n a bit before I fiddle with them. I will defo try this set up first !

The only thing I have not done are the 034 engine mounts, I just haven’t got round to them yet due to other things that needed doing first as my DRC finally give up lol but there on my list to do !

I’ve got everything else on there apart from the driveshaft carrier as mine is the JHM upgrade you put a link too !!

Anyone who’s thinking of getting this defo do makes gearchanges up and down very positive and very smooth defo gets rid of any slack in the drivetrain !

1 Like

Good video, I like Chris Harris. I’d say my Stage 2+ S5 is definitely quicker than the RS5. Doesn’t sound as good and the interior isn’t as nice (Premium plus), brakes aren’t as good, doesn’t look as good (narrower fenders, no rear spoiler, I do have a RS look front bumper, works with the narrower fenders). It’s got 034 motorsports Stg2+ ECU & TCU, Supercharger pulley, mid-resonator deletes. I do have Cat bypasses that I haven’t installed yet.
RS5 has JHM Stg2 ECU & TCU, Full JHM Exhaust and Catless headers, SAI delete, Aluminum DSG flywheel, JHM lightweight pulleys, Carbon fiber hood (saves about 9Kg).
Both cars have Forged wheels and Antigravity Lightweight Lithium batteries.
V6 will never sound as good as the V8 though. Both have JHM Engine/Tranny mounts and JXB Center bearing replacments along with a few Powerflex inserts. Very similar to your car.

2 Likes

Nice, you own both engines and can compare them side by side.

i also believe the V6 3.0T is more versatile for daily usage than the V8 4.2 NA. I’ve chased an APR stage 1 B8.5 S4 avant on roads like tail of the dragon, and on corner exits, the supercharger along with better torque absolutely leaves the V8 in the dust. On the low end the 3.0T has such a big advantage that I can only compensate in the RS4 by going faster on the straights and braking later into corners.

I’m willing to bet that, the V8 4.2 will have its advantages, at high speeds like 120mph+, whereas the V6 3.0T will be better for under 120mph.

This is why a super charger would be nice on the 4.2 as then you would get that low down torque !
I bet then the 3.0T v6 would have no chance haha !!!

Hello Andrew,
Glad to make your acquaintance.

And everyone.

About lower control arms( front axle): Trw/stock, I am wondering if the bushing just rip more or less immediately after being installed. Meyle HD, have they held up? I also wonder if they snake their way out of that warranty (here in Europe 4 years). I had uneven (inner excessibe thread wear on the front right side and a flat tire – inner wall-- on the left front) on the stock control arms. Wonder if could be related. Alignment was within spec.