RS5 Strange Intake Valves!

I ran the car for 10 minutes and wiggled, unplugged, and investigated many of the plugs i worked with while working on the valves

Can I ask again for some comparisons? Anyone with a hand vacuum pump, can you manually pump your actuators and see the valves before and after? You don’t have to remove any parts to get to it, just pop off the vacuum hose on the actuator. Trying to figure out an issue that typically only solenoid-based actuators have is tricky…

I’ll be home this coming Thursday if you don’t get a reply by then I can check on the old engine.

I meant using VCDS and pumping the actuator while watching the values I posted earlier change. I bought a mighty vac and will see if they change while I’m measuring it. They didn’t earlier when I had the car running and my lovely assistant was revving the car.

May have figured it out. Unfortunately I dropped a damn upper intake grommet after the 10th time removing the intake LOL. Will post soon. If I’m right, I’m an idiot.

Alright folks false alarm. That black vacuum thing in the “V” was half plugged in even though I superglued it on. Side note, anyone got an upper manifold grommet? One of mine escaped into narnia.

Glad to hear. I am also glad to hear your RS5 can take the punishment.

Your extremely low level of carbon build up on at least one cylinder, to me, can only be explained by the fact that you drive it hard.

I wonder if there are any specific fail points in the RS5 B8 engine, or if we can use mainly the R8 V10 and LP640 as proxy data to decide the risk of catastrophic failure. This is mainly for the people who get to drive theirs very hard.

None of the parts stores sell the grommet for the upper intake manifold. Does anyone have an extra they are willing to part with?

I’m sure I have some extra ones. Do you have a pic so I make sure I’m getting the right ones?

1 Like

Sorry the the late reply. I’ve had a busy week. It’s the grommet that holds up the upper intake spacers. I’ll pay handsomely for a few just in case I screw up again down the line.

How many do you need? I’ve got a few extras, I’ll just send them to you on Monday. PM me your address.