Throttle Body Connectors?

I have been having intermittent issues with my 2009 S6. Every once in a while, it goes into limp mode, displaying TPMS, EPC, and Stability Control failures. When this happens, cruise control is disabled, and the car will only barely reach 60mph, with barely any throttle response.

I only have a generic code scanner, and it is displaying P2101, P0121, and P0221. These codes are only present one at a time. If I clear the code, the same code may come back on restart, or it may display one of the others, but the symptoms are the same.

I had this same problem back in October. Took it to the dealer, and after several days of diagnosis, they cleaned the electrical connections to the throttle body as well as a loose ground, and reset the throttles. This only “cured” it for a while and now the problem is back with greater frequency.

From the research I have done so far - I am guessing that I have the infamous VAG throttle body connector issue. Can any of you tell me the correct parts and/or where to get the kit to fix this? I will need two plugs and the 12 wires with connectors so that I can splice in new connectors and hopefully cure this problem permanently.

Thanks!

I had the same P0221 fault, either in extremely cold or hot weather. My mechanic cleaned the connector and zip-tied it together and it hasn’t come back…yet

Its very well a connector issue. As mixofia has said you can try cleaning the connectors on both ends and zip tie the connectors on tight that tends to work in most cases.

But if you are going to clean the connections make sure to un hook the battery first before doing the work.

Replacement of the wires and there connectors might be the end goal but the best way to test it to zip tie and see if that helps before replacement of the connectors

Thanks for the input. I’m pretty sure that it is the connectors, as I have tried cleaning them, and it solves problem only temporary. I’m sitting at the airport waiting for my flight after driving here in limp mode (35 miles). I just want to make the repair permanent, so I order d all of the parts from my local dealer. I will replace them when I get home in a few days, and let you guys know how it worked out

I have also been having a problem with a fluctuating idle when the engine is warmed up, which I am hoping is part of the same problem

That could be part of the issue its going to be hard to say unless you have new codes.

If you could please post all the part numbers of the parts you got. That would be so helpful. This has been a topic a few times and we have yet to nail down the exact part numbers for the connectors.

I have an update for those who have been watching this:

Got back from my business trip yesterday afternoon. Started the car at the airport, and got all of the same warning lights and it immediately went into limp mode. Had to drive it all the way home with about 40hp (blocking traffic at 35mph on one hill). My Audi parts had arrived at my house while I was out of town, so I immediately went about changing out the throttle body connectors. Pretty easy job - just a bit worrisome to cut the wires that my car need to run! While I was in there, I think I found my poor idle issue. I had a vacuum leak on the hose that runs from the passenger valve cover to the oil separator. That hose was so brittle that it broke off at the oil separator when I bumped it working on the electrical issue. Got the hose patched together (I will have to order a replacement), and fired the car up.

It fired up and idled smoother than it has in weeks. Still had all of the warning lights on the dash, so I decide to take it for a test drive. The warning lights all went out before I reached the end of my driveway (100 feet), and the car ran perfectly! Drove it to work this morning with no errors or problems of any kind. I am hopeful that this is the end of my issues with those stupid connectors.

Sounds like a job well done. Can you please provide the part numbers for the ends that you got that helped fix this. This has been an issue for a few other members and everytime there is a request for the part number. It would be helpful If you could provide that here to help people in the future. Let us know In a few weeks if this issue is still sorted out or if it has come back again.

I am out of town for the holiday. I will post the partnumbers when I get home to where the packages are. And I will keep you guys posted on how it is running.

It looks like I am missing the packages that my parts came in. After looking at ECS, I’m prettty sure that this is the same as what I bought from Audi:
Mfg Part #
4H0973713KT
ECS Part #
ES#2834683

The wires I used are #000-979-019, and the butt connectors are 000-979-941. I cannot find the part numbers for the connector housings that I used, but your local Audi parts department can look these up for you.

I hope that this helps if someone else runs into the same problem that I had.

By the way - my car continues to run perfectly - replacing these connectors and wiring has completely solved my problem. No more codes or issues with limp mode. I also replaced the oil separator hose with a new one purchased from JHM, so I shouldn’t have any more vacuum leaks from that area.

Thanks for the follow up

I can’t see this not helping people in the future.

Nice to hear you were able to get even more of the little stuff sorted out. The oil separator hose can be tricky and really hide little issues. Good fix

Just a progress update for everyone - Did a 900 mile road trip a couple of weeks ago, and have been driving it daily, and it continues to run perfectly with no more codes or driveability issues. I think that I can now officially say problem solved!

Grrrrreat!

Great work. If you ever find the actual part number for the housing please update this thread. I think that will be helpful as this seems to be a more common issue.

On Saturday - the same problem cropped up again. I cleared the codes and drove it again Saturday night. Only made it about 20 miles before going into limp mode. All of the symptoms were the same, so Sunday morning, I cut out all of the butt connectors from my previous repair and replaced them with new ones. At the same time, I tidied up the wires a bit (I left them too long the first time. I have now put another 50 miles on it and it appears to be fixed once again. If you tackle this repair - I recommend doing a better job than I did the first time!