Tutorial on using JHM's new server to flash your RS5

Through JHM, didnt know i could do it through you or i would have

Doh! Yes, anything JHM, reach out to me first. I’ll take care of you :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all of your help on Sunday that you gave me with flashing the update to the 17.9 version…I have only put on a few miles so far but I am very pleased…it feels like the power is more readily accessible and acceleration has more torque in general. Sorry that I don’t have before and after stats, but the butt dyno gives it a :+1: Good times!

Awesome! Glad it all went well and it was good talking to you in person. Yep, definitely more accessible now, the speed comes a bit easier, especially in dynamic S mode. D is a bit more relaxed.

I didn’t even think about D yet, lol, I will have to check that out as well…

So finally got around to flashing stage 2 yesterday for my car and I tried to start the car and move before the cold start idle finished but there was no cold start, not sure if this may be a reason. I was driving around seeing how the car drive for a while and then later at night did a couple pulls and nothing was really noticeable other then the tcu part of the flash such as the gears being held longer and quicker shifting, I ran into the same problem every time I did a short pull when downshifting and then putting back into auto where the car would bang off the rev limiter at 8500 and not upshift. Just wondering if this is something that happens when the tcu isn’t dialed in since it seemed almost as if the car didn’t know to upshift at the new rev limiter. Also lastly, how long is the adaptation period before i see all the performance gains from the tune and if moving the car 3-5 seconds after starting on a cold start later today will help.

If your car is already warm, there won’t be a cold start :slight_smile:

You can log back in and see if the ECU flash was successful. You should have seen a “flash successful” at the end. You should have flashed the ECU again and the TCU.

What files did you have available under the ECU side? Which one did you flash on the TCU side?

I can’t remember if you have a VCDS or not? If so, can you send me a full scan? redmistracingllc@icloud.com

The flash was successful as stated at the end, i only saw 14. something as the version that was available, is there any way for you to check what verison i flashed to be sure on both the tcu and ecu side? The car was not able to do FOT or do any hard pulls or it would bang off the rev limiter and only seemed to be able to be driven hard if i drove it in manual. The car hasnt seemed to change much other then the tcu part of things such as holding gears longer and shifting faster and also the 6k launch controle but hasnt really chabged much in terms of power.

14.4…yeah latest version is 17.9 and quite an improvement but 14.4 was also a pretty massive change vs. stock. If you don’t feel a difference, there’s an issue with your car. Did you get a VCDS? Can’t remember…but if you can get a full VCDS scan, that’d be very helpful.

The only way to see what version you have flashed is to hook up your car again and log in. If you ID the controller, it’ll tell you which flash you have.

But 14.4 was most likely a 50hp increase over stock (I saw 46 wheel hp on a very hot day). So it’s something you feel. But if your car is not 100% and you have codes, it’ll pull back on the hp output to protect the motor. Car has to be 100% healthy as it’s now a much more precise instrument with the tune. It’s more sensitive to issues and this is a design feature actually. It’ll be more quick to enable protections if something isn’t quite right.

So if you can, get a VCDS scan and go from there.