Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Solenoid-Oil Leak

As I just did this I will add a few tips.

Gain access to all 4 solenoids by removing passenger intake tubes and box, releasing coolant reservoir, and driver’s side intake tube, pcv box and valve cover to cover hose.

You will need multiple 1/4 extensions (pivotable is best), t20 bit, t20 t handle (for passenger intake solenoid, 1/4 socket does not fit past the solenoid casing and the engine hoist). Passenger side exhaust solenoid if you look from the fender at it, they seemed to have left a tunnel through the hoses for access with extensions. Smaller size telescoping magnet! (For removing bolts from holes and starting the threads after. Vacuum.

Before you remove the solenoids take a pick and loosen the dirt in the hole and vacuum it out, you do not want to drop sand in these holes.

Pretty much the hardest part if they are in there good is gently prying from different angles until you can get the solenoid to loosen and spin before attempting to remove.

These solenoids have a high failure rate and it isn’t just the orings!
If you are reusing, once you remove check for play in the casing, resistance is 5-8 ohms. Other failure point is the plugs on the harness side! Voltage was 3 at accessory on.

I had no leaks and all resistances tested within factory specs but had 3 solenoids loose in the casing, one almost about to actuate itself out. I also had 3 plugs, looked fine, but the male inside where terminals lock in were broken at the stem under the gasket.

Do not drop bolts! Do not over torque these bolts!