06 BPY 2.0T FWD transmission.

Hey guys,
What is your opinion on a transmission fluid change?
Car is a 6MT 138k with unknown last time transmission fluid change.
Audi stealership told me not to change it. “Because of the high mileage just leave it as it is coz it will cause more harm then good” - hmmm never heard of that before, but even though I am able to turn wrenches, I’m not the guy that knows everything…

Should I just change it or not?
Any recommendations? Any feedback on Motul transmission oil? I use their oil for absolutely everything (2 stroke oil, dirt bike engine oil, this audi engine oil) but never looked into their transmission fluids.

Thanks guys.

Paulo

06 A3 6MT - APR stage 2+, APR turbo back, IE HPFP upgrade, Borg Wagner FMIC, Hotchkis sway bar, K&N CAI …work in progress…

138 is a lot of miles. The thought behind not changing the fluid is that the transmission clutches are worn down and that the fluid contains the old particles of the clutches that have worn down. This fluid is thought to have better friction holding ability due to the fluid content. If you change the fluid it’s thought that the new fluid will be too slick and the results will be slipping gearshift. I changed mine early and it took some abuse. I could see my fluid was dark but I never had any issues and continue to have no issues.

Your about 100,000 miles past when I changed mine. It’s a tough call. I say pull out a small sample of fluid from the front of the pan. There is a small drain plug. Look at the fluid and see how bad it is. That would be the starting point.

Thank you for the info Justin. Does make total sense.

Anything in particular I should be looking for when draining a sample? What’s a “good / probably ok/ definitely change it” indicator? Oil color, deposits, metal flakes?

06 A3 6MT - APR stage 2+, APR turbo back, IE HPFP upgrade, Borg Wagner FMIC, Hotchkis sway bar, K&N CAI …work in progress…

In a related question. I have noticed a whinny noise only in first gear and very sporadically. I haven’t been able to reproduce the whine specifically. In the past month I noticed it 3/4 times, only in first and it would go away after a few miles not coming back till a few days later.

Maybe related? Gear bearing?

A 6MT has clutches?

If it’s a lot of load on deceleration it could just be gear noise

6 manual (6 speed) sorry if I got the names wrong.

It is indeed under load but either slowly accelerating or decelerating.

What should I look for on the fluid Justin? Color wise? I’m assuming it will be ridiculous dark, anything to look at that would be an indication of “must change it”?

You have a manual transmission so just go ahead and change the fluid. Most of the concerns about changing transmission fluid apply to automatic transmissions.

I use Motul GL4/5 75w-90 gear oil and it works great. You can get it relatively cheap too.

Check the fluid by putting a magnet in the pan. That will catch any metal bits

Also your a manual transmission I was thinking more along the lines of a 6 speed auto. There isn’t any reason you should replace the fluid.