2008 S6 3rd Manifold

Been a while since i’ve posted, turned 200k miles this week. JHM ecu/tcu tune, exhaust, balancer, rotors, spacers. It think without those mods, i would not have kept the car.
I’m looking at going on my 3rd manifold, need TC replaced (this has been throwing a code for over a year), shocks need replacing. Most everything else has been replaced, and it’s been running ok, but for the usual oil leaks and wiring issues.

Have a local shop that can take care of the TC, but the cost of oem manifold is over $3500, and can’t find any Pierburgs. I love the car, but not putting out $3500 at this point in the game. I’ll be taking my old manifold apart next week and hopefully I can salvage the flaps and make a temporary replacement. Anyone have any tips on gluing the flaps? What did you use to reseal the manifold?

Have you ever had a new intake manifold. Or mostly used.

Once you crack open the old intake you can figure out the best road. Either fully gut it or you can save and lock the flaps for big TQ down low and in most driving.

Thanks Justin, I have always purchased new manifolds. I have the original one apart, it’s not too bad, i’ll be locking the flaps. The one on the car now is not too bad, the back clip that holds one side of the flaps is missing, but i locked it in place, so for now, it’s better than it was. As soon as I can get my hands on a Pierburg replacement, it will be swapped out. I’m thinking now that doing carbon cleaning more often, mostly to keep the manifold clean.

That sucks. Good to hear you have a stable of intakes to choose from… That tends to be helpful. It would be interesting to know or see if the carbon it self was causing the damage.

I think that it’s a mix between carbon deposits and heat that makes the flaps anchors loose, then once it’s too loose, it falls and the flaps shaft breaks.

I would agree, based on what I’ve seen inside my manifolds. I would add that there is always a sludge that builds up between the flaps. I’m wondering if the flap motor has enough torque to overcome that resistance and just breaks the weakest point in the chain.