Adaptive lights fault

Hi All,

Happy new year

Need some help as I have MOT due at any time now.

I have adaptive lights fault on my dash and worried this will cause a failure. I don’t have a vcds to turn it off.

Am I correct the sensor is in the windscreen, would changing my windscreen fix the issue.
Am I able to disconnect the sensor in anyway to get the light off so I can pass MOT.

My lights do work but I’m been told any lights on dash should be a fail

The adaptive headlights module uses input from the level sensors on the Left front & rear lower suspension for up & down and from the steering wheel left & right. They are controlled individually from the module mounted on top of the headlamp housing.
I think the only sensor in the top of the rear view mirror portion of the windshield is for Automatic windshield wiper control and a humidity sensor. I don’t think any of the B8/8.5 cars have auto dimming headlights?

Mark is correct the sensor in the windscreen is for the Automatic wipers.

The adaptive headlights are controlled by level sensors on the Left front & rear lower suspension it’s a little black plastic arm that moves up and down with the lower suspension arm these have been known to break as they get brittle and the little ball joints either end rust up inside the cup on the plastic arm, this would cause a CEL on the dash ! I always keep them covered in greese to protect them from the elements.

Awesome thanks for this guys.

So update for you
MOT is passed :grin:

The day before I had a new windscreen fitted and the it’s that did that reset the fault for me.
Hey told me the fault was saying front left when turning left. As I drove out the garage fault came straight back on. So now I know there is a fault and from what they have said and you have said it sounds likely this has happened.

Is there an easy way for me to check this. I’m guessing this is not a major job so is it worth me just getting a garage to sort it. I’m in no rush as MOT done but I’d like to sort it at some point.

MOT passed - advisory disks :persevere: but I knew this
Anyhow I’ve done a seperate thread in the brakes as its something else I now need.to look into at some point this year.

Don’t we just love these cars :money_mouth_face:

Could be in the AFS module but I’d bet it is an issue inside the Headlamp housing. There are little motors for up & down and for side to side and some little plastic gears that can strip and or crack/break.

thanks Hahn,
It sounds like it is that gear thing then as seems to be moving side to side that’s the fault

There is a guy over here in the states that rebuilds them, not sure if you can find someone over there. You guys can usually find those parts a little cheaper than we can, maybe Ebay Uk or DE?

A2929622-1338-438B-AEA4-BAB757A049CE

Would this be right. I know it’s front and rear but for £30 if it’s right part I’ll hopefully get this issue sorted

Mick,

Have you crawled under the car to see if you can locate the existing level sensors? Not sure if they change location for RHD vehicles, but in USA/Canada the front one is at the left front suspension attached to the lower arm, like this (https://static.ed.edmunds-media.com/unversioned/img/track-tests/2009-audi-s5/800-s5-sus-fr-sensor-det.jpg), and the rear is similar as seen in this photo (https://static.ed.edmunds-media.com/unversioned/img/track-tests/2009-audi-s5/800-s5-sus-rr-sensor-thumb-555x330.jpg). This photo suggests the right rear…

Can’t see a part number on the photo but I’ll throw these out there. Front part # is 8K0-941-285-P (previous revisions ‘J’ & ‘K’) and rear is 8K0-941-309-F (previous revision ‘E’). Although if it’s the turning portions I don’t think these are your issue. Have you been able to scan to see what the fault is yet? Vagcom is a must to work on these cars, pays for itself.

So someone did my windscreen scanned it. He did not give me code as he just reset them all but he did say it was the front left not turning to side