Another SRM fantasy

$600 for intercoolers that will net you 18-28whp increase…

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3865/14283533219_76b442dd1f_o.png

Wowza! Not even the highly overpriced AWE intercooler makes claims that large of power gains.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2902/14283551910_4b9b4e43d3_o.png

38whp, that is 48chp assuming a 25% DTL, so you can gain roughly 24%(48/200hp) more power simply by adding these intercoolers.

No vendor has even claimed that much…that is just hilarious, it is so grossly overinflated that it just makes you wonder who actually drinks this koolaid.

Yet another reason not to buy from SRM…and another reason why Dyno’s are hilarious.

Interesting find. I’d have a hard time thinking anyone would look at the two options and believe the AWE wasn’t the better offering.

AWE is kinda pissing me off lately.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/600943-Something-carbon-is-coming-Are-you-ready?highlight=carbon

[QUOTE=well_armed;9831355]Zack,

Will you be including any pbox or acceleration testing data? (Ie. Not interested in dyno pulls).

Thanks for sharing the pics.
[/quote]

[QUOTE=Zack/AWE;9831669]We prefer the dyno, as it’s easier to measure exact gains in a controlled environment. There are simply too many uncontrollable variables when you remove dyno testing from the equation. [:)]
[/quote]

“Too many variables” = “I’m scared shitless of what could happen”

#becausedyno I just told that to Zack@AWE

the new AR war cry.

Hahaha this was funnier

" Post up some acceleration data, I dare you."

^^^ That’s awesome!

lol that AWE thread is hilarious.

I should clarify, I am not an AWE fan either.

AWE has always been my benchmark of overpriced performance. $1600 for an intercooler… There is a saying I like that says you can get 90% of the benefit for 10 % of the cost, but getting the remaining 10% of the benefit is going to cost you 90% more.

In other words for $700 you can get a perfectly good intercooler, or you can overpay to the skies to get an intercooler that is 10% better. There is no better example than AWE for this. $1600 for an intercooler is just laughable, $2300 for an exhaust for a 4 cylinder is insanity, what is more funny is that these objects have DOUBLED in cost over the last 6 years…Just because “Material’s cost have increased”, must be a very bad supplier if they are somehow able to completely manipulate AWE’s pricing ::slight_smile:

But thats another rant. This rant I am on right now is about SRM.

I brought up AWE because they claim to have the “best” intercooler and yet claim 14bhp…pretty aggressive claim I would say, because you really should not gain much power from an intercooler without any other modifications.

Then SRM comes along, claiming nearly 4! Count them nearly 4x as much power gain from SMICs…it just blows my mind at what kind of person these companies are advertising to. Who in their right mind sits down and says “wow I could gain 48bhp with this mod, that seems realistic from SMICs.”
or how about
“a minimum of 18WHP gain just by installing these SMICs, I believe that because SRM says so”

And I especially don’t understand the person that says “$1600 for an intercooler seems fair” but thats another story.

Be realistic with your expectations of what a product can and can’t do. Don’t expect a fantasy to come true just because an advertiser tells you so.

Common sense…the average car modder lacks it.

I just don’t understand how Zack thinks you can accurately read gains from an intake on the dyno (ie. since when do you drive a car inside a small room?)

If they post a picture of the hood up on the dyno I will just laugh.

same goes for acceleration data…can be tough to see where 10 whp shows up. SO easy to shoot down.

I think mods like these are “every little bit counts” mods. You outlay why it helps and what the design does, and let the market decide. Throwing down a 28 whp number is clearly insanity. Maybe 28 whp vs. non-intercooled on it’s 3rd dyno pass in 7 minutes…