APB Block Versions

I posted this data over at AudiZine but I figured I’d post it here as well.
After lots of talk of “BEL” blocks I started examining blocks I have and found 4 versions:

Block versions:

Version 1:
APB - Early, 2001 and before :
Part Number ### ### ### A*
No identification marking between banks
Producstion Year 1999
Block stamped APB
Plastic bolt in crank lock pin plug
Outer Main Bolts go through Main Web into “window”
Outer and Inner Main Bolts the same length
Window ~ 50mm wide
Window to Main Journal ~ 13mm

Version 2:
APB - ??? :
Part Number ### ### ### BF
No identification marking between banks
Producstion Year 1999
Block stamped APB
Outer Main Bolts do NOT go through Main Web into “window”, stronger
Outer Main Bolts shorter than Inner Main Bolts.
Window ~ 40mm wide
Window to Main Journal ~ 16mm

Version 3:
APB - Late, 2001.5 and after :
Part Number ### ### ### BF
“BF” identification marking between banks
Producstion Year 2000
Block stamped APB
Window ~ 40mm wide

Version 4:
“BEL” - 2003+??? :
“BF” identification marking between banks
Producstion Year 2001+
Block stamped APB
Screw in metal crank lock pin plug
Window ~ 40mm wide

More here:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/527211-BEL-vs-APB

I’m going to take a look at mine after the family events and post results in both forums. Good stuff

luckily i have a gen2 block! out of a 2002 A6

Yup, I’ve got an 02 A6 hence my curiosity on where it fits into the 4 versions that were noted on AZ. Either way it appears they’re all beefier than the 1st go around of APBs although I’m not looking to push that much HP (yet), but good still good to know.

My Eurospec is gen1.5, my other “spare” block is out of a 2003 allroad. If/When I get my project running and my block fails, I will finish off my spare. I the meantime I am looking for another gen2 or BEL to do a quick bottom end build on for my S4

If that flower pot posts in this thread I will have to tell him that cockroaches are not allowed on this forum.

How is that video coming along my good friend?

His car is blown up…And also would get walked by a stock C6 Z06.

Not as well as this dumb topic about blocks. I think that there is more things to be concerned about pertaining to building a proper running b5 than worrying about what year block is in the car. It always seem that for some reason the b5 crowd keeps coming up with more reasons to prolong a build and excuses to justify why their cars aren’t running at it’s best.

People have been running b5’s for years. Running good times and bad times. Blowing up engines because of poor builds and sometimes because of bad tunes.

I don’t see any reason for people to be furthering this topic, especially when the people most concerned with this block topic probably have never made enough power to even need to focuse on such a discussion.

I agree with the general point of your post. I laugh at the idea of people stressing over their block.

No need to stress on a mild to mid level build. Some of these guys are going all out and trying to achieve 1K awhp, at that level why not investigate every avenue available.

It is also good general info for those doing mild builds, if you can have a stronger base block wouldn’t you want to?

Take note of all of the markings I outlined in that thread, if you would. I’d love to have the complete data from as many blocks as possible.

Take your cockroach ass back to flopzine, or take your flower pot to the track.

I think it has been a tuning philosophy issue more than anything.

Wait, who is trying to achieve 1000 whp om 2.7t? You said some… As in a few? That’s sounding very supra ish.

1 b5 in three years has gotten into the 10s. Another ran 11.1. That’s it in 3 years. Are people just skipping making 500 - 600 etc and announcing their intention to make 1000 whp… A power level nobody has achieved to this point?

I don’t know who either.
My goal is 600WHP on the 2.7 and 750WHP on the 3.0.

FAW I don’t know what your attitube is about. The stock block isn’t as strong as I would like so I’m going to make it stronger. To this end I want to start with the strongest version. Makes perfect sense to me.

Britishturbo
Rockcandy
Mr Blue, cant recall his real name, lives in colorado.

I am sure there are others I am missing. Ultimately I would like to get there too

I

Faw makes a good point. I see guys with stock fuel pumps running stage 2 tunes on Chinese k04 turbos, worrying about which block version they have

Your build on the other hand bt is a no stone left unturned build and you have e the capabilities to exploit everything under the hood to its fullest without cutting corners… So addressing which block you start with might actually be a legit concern. The grand majority of the high school kids with stage 3 minus setups who agonize over whether they should start their build over based on their block being the ‘weaker’ one are kind of funny.

Absolutely. Kind of a moot point of you will never realistically push the limits of even a stock bottom end

Me, I have an attitude? Please explain.

Now can you please answer me this?

1. your goal is 600 on a 2.7 and 750 on a 3.0…why are you trying to achieve this? What are you trying to accomplish when you reach these goals? If you are going to the track please predict your 1/4 mile goals in correlation with your HP goals.
    )the stock block is too weak for you. How do you know that? you have never been to the track, or even dyno’d your car and please don’t mention your virtual dyno.
  2. Give your boy with the built 034 single Turbo the push that he needs to take his car to the strip and take it to the dyno. All tracks are open now. You predicted his power to be above 550 and his block is still intact, right?