APR TT RS Stage 3 Released

I would ditch both and go with the most exciting car in Audi’s lot right now (R8 excepted): the RS5. Based on what I’ve read from the V8 guys, the 4.2 in the RS5 is the most refined yet. And to see it running with the DSG and the 1740 would be nothing short of total awesomeness.

^^^yeah, the RS5 would be awesome. Better still for me if it had to be a new model, would be an RS4 avant. A little more useful.

Not sure modifying your daily driver to 600+ hp is the best idea, but sure sounds fun.

[quote=“clochner,post:21,topic:4580”]
The RS5 is an awesome car… I drove one the dealer had for part of a day and really liked it… However, IMO it is really not comparable to the TTRS though given the weight and size difference… Totally different types of cars… I prefered the RS, which is why I bought one, based on the above along with it being manual and FI… Again, just my opinion and to each their own…

[quote=“primetime,post:23,topic:4580”]
Clochner is talking about a supercharged RS5, so not sure how the TTRS being forced induction matters anymore. He’s saying the RS5 with a stage 3 kit provides an excellent new car with insanely good looks, sound, feel, comfort, and bat out of hell performance. The budget starts getting retarded though. To go RS5 + stage 3 + a few other mods, you’re pushing $85,000-90,000 since they sell so well they are hard to find for cheap. even used they’re selling near MSRP here.

Still, 4 doors is key to my way of thinking so a B8 S4 or a B7 RS4 to me seems far more useful. It’s also more interesting for a family sedan to be a mentalcase performer. A souped up TTRS or RS5 is not shocking. A B7 RS4 with 4 doors going 11.1 on pump gas is pretty fucking hilarious to me.

[quote=“sakimano,post:24,topic:4580”]
Nice! Did I miss a new time from JHM? Sorry, don’t keep up on all the boards as much as I should…

Two separate conversations.

Top down to the video is about why we didn’t launch in the video (because LC wasn’t finished, here’s a clip of it).

Second comment was that so far the clutch is holding up fine.

Two options:

1. Don’t launch it even though it’s ready.

2. Release it without the data.

We haven’t had time to get it to the strip yet. We’ll be taking it there and will provide data. I had too much other data to justify delaying the release any further.

[quote=“primetime,post:23,topic:4580”]

Hey Ron - just to clarify, I was definitely NOT knocking your awesome TTRS! I was just saying that I would prefer to go RS5 with blower and DSG. That’s all. You know by now that the RS5 is basically my dream car at this point. And it will happen. Though I kind of embarrassed myself early on in another thread leading people to believe that I was actually going to pull the trigger when, in the end, it just didn’t work out.

I can’t wait to see how your TTRS develops on here, bud!!

We would all appreciate that Arin - looking forward to the results!!

I definitely would love to see some strip passes but it’s great to see the 30-130. To me that is a far more important reflection of performance than 60-130.

This thing is very quick based on the data above.

Wonder if 10-130 is a benchmark we could get peopleinterested in. Something that shows 1-4 gears but doesn’t require a launch.
Everyone seems to instantly grow terrified to launch their cars the second after they show a dyno sheet. It’s funny because I know they rip away hard from a green light on a regular basis. Just do it at the strip! (not referring to Apr of course… They’ve shown they’re not scared of the strip/truth meter. B7 rs4 sc testing, b8 s5 sc, s7, rs5 etc).

Anyone who has been to the strip knows that it’s not that hard to be good. It’s hard to be great, but not hard to be good. If you can drive reasonably well and the parts you’ve purchased (or developed) work, you will get a good result. No question.

Brandon, totally understood… It didn’t take it as a knock and trust me I have thick skin especially when it comes to cars… I think most of the Audi performance cars are home runs so it’s just a matter of preference… If the RS5 would have been stick or my S4 was stick I probably would have really considered it… Just wanted another toy to row the gears in…

Saki, I get my ECU back today for the RS… Unfortunately, I have to go to Pitt. Sat. but I’ll be at the strip soon, no fear here ;D Hoping for 12.30 or lower on 93 pump in summer DA and 12.20 or better once fall arrives… Going to do stage II before the season ends and hoping to go mid 11’s on pump…

^^^was that result that Car and Driver posted total BS a couple of years ago? They didn’t go to a strip obviously, they just used a PBOX and corrected the results for DA…but it was kind of crazy good. DSG car on that one. Something like 12.2 @ 112 or something crazy. I’ve seen nobody even come remotely close to that result since. Magazines are all kind of in the range of the time you ran (mostly worse actually).

12.2-12.3 would be awesome with just a tune. It’s kind of crazy when you think about it, but that is really frigging close to 11.999 when you think about it. Hard to believe how quick cars in general are now. Used to be if you went 11.XXX your car was a fucking monster.

Saki, I haven’t seen anything close but we don’t get DSG so who knows… A few folks on VWvortex were talking about how awesome the DSG 60ft times were so I posted my stock stick times and challenged them to find better DSG times… No one has so I did some research and still haven’t found a stage II DSG car with better 60ft times, not saying they don’t exist just can’t find them… Bottom line is stick cars are very capable, assuming the clutch can take the launch IF driven properly… Most don’t have a clue at the strip…

yeah, today’s cars are really impressive… several 10 second cars stock and some at a reasonable price point IE GTR… Gotta love it!

I wonder what will happen with these certified dragstrips.

11.49 or better requires a roll bar in the car I believe. That’s not likely to happen.

10.99 or better requires a full cage. Nice try. I don’t think someone with a stage 3 B8 S4 or supercharged RS4 is going to get a full cage built just to try and push the platform into the 10s.

You hear all the time about guys getting kicked out of tracks for going too low. There was a stock McLaren SLR who went superfast a few years ago and got the boot after like 1 pass. At least they gave him the slip.

When Count Vohn took his GT turbo’d B5 S4 to LaPeer dragway they threatened to kick them out for lack of safety gear, so they kept sandbagging the runs. Then…

http://www.streetfire.net/video/vast-performance-gt-600-track-vid_142286.htm

Needless to say Mike from VAST wasn’t such a good driver lol

Yeah, Norwalk(Summit Park or whatever they call it now) is fairly strict but gives some wiggle room to new cars like GT500’s, Z06’s, GTR’s etc as long as they are being smart about it… Thompson and Dragway 42 will let you go 10’s w/o saying anything… I know all the folks there since I go so much and as long as your car is in good working order and you have a helmet your good to go… At the end of the day it’s for your safety so I respect when tracks enfore the rules especially on a race day which is another reason I prefer TNT’s as they are more laid back with way less cars… I won’t cage my S4 but given the TTRS really has no back seat I would consider it but highly doubt I would do it… My old Mustang went low 11’s fairly consistently and I had no cage…

just in case people are wondering…

Roll Bars and Roll Cages

•11.00 - 11.49 Roll Bar
•11.00 - 13.49 Roll Bar Convertible

10.99 and Quicker or 135 MPH
•Roll Cage
•Unless it is a full body car with an unaltered firewall, floor, and body (from firewall rearward, wheeltubs permitted)
•running
10.00 - 10.99 roll bar permitted

10.00 - 11.49
•Aftermarket Rear Axles (10.99)
•Harmonic Balancer (10.99)
•Transmission Shield (10.99 or 135 MPH)
•Drive Shaft Loop
•Seat Belts (5 Point SFI)good for 2 years from time stamped
Fire Jacket
Arm Restraints (Open Cars)/Roll Bar

Don’t forget that most of the guys that work at a drag strip are car guys. They want to see those really fast street cars go down the track too. Plus if you are smart enough to pull over when you break instead of dumping fluids all the way down the track then they are much more willing to let you go down the track a little faster than maybe allowed by the safety equipment rules.

^^^that has not been my experience in some 30 trips to the strip. While they are car guys to an extent, reality is they don’t want to

a) get fired for letting the safety stuff slip (if they’re an employee)
b) get shut down by the NHRA (if they’re the owner)

If it’s a non-certified track or IHRA it’s probably easier…but my experience has been that our track will go slack on the helmet for guys running in the 12s, but otherwise that’s it.

^^ Remember the GTRs at Cayuga? They were definitely having to shut it down once they’d put in a 10 sec run. I wonder how often the NHRA audit this sort of things.

That video was awesome.