Are there anymore JHM mods coming for the 3.0?

Does anyone have any inside information if JHM has anymore mods coming out for the 3.0? Or if they are still doing any R&D? So far we have…

Clutch Kit with LWFW
BBK with LWR’s
Downpipes with FI Catback
Short Shifter or Trio Kit
ECU and TCU Tune
Phenolic Intake Manifold Spacers
Zingo Air Box Mod

I’m not complaining, and that’s a decent list to get things going but I really hope JHM is still doing some R&D on our platform. I think from here either we need to go FI and have a reasonably priced supercharger kit which I’m sure a lot of work has already been done towards that using the kit from the S4. Or what other mods would the 3.0 benefit from? NA mods can only go so far especially for most 3.0 owners who are daily drivers are not going to be putting light weight wheels, batteries and extreme things of that nature.

I don’t know much about technical engine work but would the 3.0 benefit from a port and polish? bigger throttle body? The S4 has headers I think available so wouldn’t it make sense for the 3.0 to have them too? I know that topic has been discussed already some already. I’m just trying to figure out what else can be done. I am very happy with how my car sits now but I would REALLY, REALLY love a cost effective Supercharger kit, and by reasonable cost I mean something along the lines of what the PES kit sold for which I think was just under 4k, so if it was somewhere around there but not over 5 I think that would significantly change this platform.

…stay tuned :slight_smile:

My money’s on built motor and supercharger… The advantage of the V6 being more room in the engine bay for a lower cost intercooler… although maybe sakimano might’ve let on following his trip

Wonder what the stock engine can handle. Built motor is a bit of a stretch…with a blower you’re looking at 25 grand minimum. Not to mention clutch and exhaust. Not sure that people who spend that money on mods are going to start behind the 8 ball with a relatively undersized V6.

You’ll be at $30,000 with the car easily. Why not so it for $35,000 and be in a B6 S4.

25-35k!? what are you smoking!? the S4 kit from JHM is 8k, how do you figure it would be more for a smaller motor. I figured it a supercharger kit would cost less since its a smaller motor and thngs usually cost less for lower platforms. Also you can buy a 3.0 forged internals for 3-4k since the 2.7 stroker kits for fit the 3.0. I don’t see where 30-35000$ is coming from. and what do you mean, " why not so it for 35000 and be in a b6 S4? typo? not sure what you mean?

Does anyone know how much the B6 1.8 and the S4 can handle??

25-30 is built motor plus supercharger dude, calm yourself.

Adding a supercharger to a stock 3.0l may not be worth it without a built motor option.

You can do things a lot of ways, but saving money usually isn’t the best.

Your in a tough boat…you actually care about your 3.0 performing, but most 3.0 owners are just happy to get from point A to point B. That makes it hard to justify a performance market and for as low as b6/7 S4 are dropping you can get a car built better with more potential than you will ever get from an A4 3.0.

I’m just looking at it from a logical perspective.

I’ll be interested to see the 3.0 future. I’d tend to think a supercharger for the 3.0 will still be expensive. Not from a mark up stance. More so from a component standpoint. It’ll be hard to believe the 3.0 can handle too much more power on a stock motor.

they are all dropping that low because they all probably need timing chain service, I have said it in many posts I am very happy with my car the way it is. I plan on owning it for a long time. I think my car looks damn good for its age. I get compliments daily, nobody has a clue its 12 years old. I love my car and think it would hard to find a car that looks better and in better condition maintenance and aesthetic wise. It may not be faster than a S4 but who cares the speed limit is 65 so what good is a faster car unless you go to the track. I only modify my car because I think its worth putting little things into it especially when most all of those things require service anyways. If I could get what I wanted for it then i would consider selling it and buying a B7 S4 but nobody is going to give me 13k for it so I’d rather keep it.

There has to be some history of guys with PES supercharger that can show how much the car can handle. without forged internals, I’m sure it can handle a little bit of boost just fine as long as it isn’t beat on. Can’t you just estimate that its somewhere in the middle of what a 1.8 and a S4 can handle???

Would think nitrous could be an option. JHM could fabricate some direct port nitrous plates.

is that a serious comment? ^^

Bill a Tech from Induktion started with the 3.0L and put a PES Supercharger on it and was told it would
yield a 100hp performance gain. The labor and 8k at the time for the PES supercharger got him a 55hp gain.
The only people doing tunes for the 3.0L were the people that made the PES Supercharger setup for the 3.0L.
Bill said they tried several different times to tune the car right to get the 100hp gain that was promised.
But could never achieve the promised 100hp.

So he got a B5 S4 and set it up himself with what was available at the time and was making 450-475hp.
So he said. And I didn’t get the exact details on what he did to the B5 S4 to get the hp he said he was making.

If the guys at USP in Florida or JHM would spend mad money to R&D a true 3.0L power house that would be
every one here’s dream.

There’s still a lot more on the table. with the pes supercharger, when things didnt explode the car was a mid to low 13sec car… Unfortunately there were so many cases of things going south that most people avoided them.

It’s been a couple years but I remember a conversation with CV about the 3.0 being capable of performing at the level of a pes sc’ed car with the right boltons and tuning. I can’t remember the details enough to say anything more without risking making something up lol.

Furthermore, the vortech s/c from JHM would work, and I don’t see why nitrous wouldn’t either. ALthough the latter wouldn’t likely be a popular option.

Now that I don’t own one I can look at the situation more objectively. JHM owns at least 1 3.0, and their tuner owns a 3.0, so they are dedicated to the platform. However the S4 and RS4 market is where they need to focus, as they are already so deep into it, and that is where the competition is. And I know they are further along with the 3.0 platform than the information that is currently released.

Keaton’s car sounds sick in that video where it ran 14.7. Once they are done with all their products I will likely pick one up again, as they are quite inexpensive.

Why wouldn’t that be a serious comment?

Take a second to realize that the serp belt drives more than just the alternator on a 3.0. It would take hell of a lot of cool brackets, pulleys, and a mile long five rib belt to run the JHM SC. The kit will still require moving the AC receiver drier to fit the blower and modifying some AC lines which costs money too. Then I never liked the PCV system on the 3.0s either since those plastic lines break if you look at them funny. As where the nitrous plates could be used with much less cost to make similar gains just like with the S4s actually.

Headers would be cool but I don’t think the demand is there. It would be nice to be able to install 3.0 headers without having to remove the engine like on the S4s. Well most people have to remove the engine to install headers on the S4s.

I suspect the connecting rods are going to be a similar problem on the 3.0s as the S4s. That tapered fit is a weak link.

Read the thread before you respond like an asshole …or people will figure out that you are an asshole.

Someone mentioned built motor and JHM supercharger. I said a JHM built motor and supercharger will be around $25,000. That’s conservative.

Their B67 intro kit is $8,000, yes. Last time I checked that doesn’t require a built motor though. Want a built motor and want to run more power through that now stage 2 supercharger kit? $25,000 minimum. JHM isn’t going to ‘throw in some forged rods’ like the high school method, so you can throw that out the window. If rods were the only part of an engine that needed support when you go built motor and run big power life would be really easy. Unfortunately that’s not the case, unless again, you’re a high school modder .

I said if you get a bargain basement 3.0 for a few grand, and go JHM built motor + blower you’re looking at $30,000. You could get a bargain basement B67 S4 with the same mods for only a few grand more so who wouldn’t do that?

Massively improved interior and exterior, better brakes, suspension, transmission, not to mention the V8 engine and 40% more displacement.

If you’re staying all motor and doing a couple of mods, getting a healthy 3.0 is very cheap relative to getting a healthy S4 and doing the same, and the price difference allows a whole new demographic to participate with the 3.0 that maybe couldn’t go the S4 route. For that reason there will be a market for bolt on in 3.0 parts and JHM will fulfill it. But if you’re looking at full motor builds and stage 2 Vortech V3 si kits, you’re now looking at $30,000 for the A4 vs $35,000 for S4…and at that point nobody in their right mind is going to opt for the $30,000 spend on the 3.0. And for that reason, JHM would not likely bother.

Totally serious. Like JimmyBones mentioned…

JHM already has the S4 nitrous kit down pat. I’m guessing nearly everything from that kit except the plates would work on the 3.0. With minimal investment and engineering they would have two kits that share the majority of parts.

So…you don’t care about performance because the speed limit is only 65

BUT…you want to know how much power forged internals can handle with some boost?

Even if you do get some power your going to start seeing failures other places because of the increased power in a 12 year old car and your going to get pissed and sell it or keep dumping money in it and you’ll still be unhappy.

I think you should drive your car, do aesthetic mods like you normally do, do the basic 3.0JHM performance stuff (tune, DPS, catback) and enjoy your car for what it is…since the speed limit is only 65mph

Focus on the light mods

Haha it was me asking about a built motor. The question behind the questions is relating to building the 3.0 V6. Is it like the same massive hassle of building the BHF V8? Or is it more like the AAN 2.2t 5 cyl or the 4 cyl 1.8t AWP, which I understand are not such a PITA.

The 3.0s are a hybrid of the older iron blocks (1.8T and 2.7T) and the newer aluminum-silicon S4 blocks. It has iron sleeves in an aluminum housing. I doubt there is much room to bore out the sleeves.

Good question.

The problem though is drop-in rods and pistons only go so far. Don’t these 3.0s have camshaft problems? What happens when you add more power and the heads can’t handle it? Is the crank forged? I just don’t feel like there is a “balls out” type of market for the 3.0. A market for bolt-ons is great, but it doesn’t make sense for someone to build up a plain jane 3.0 A4, when an S4 is only a few grand more and it’s 10x the car, like Saki said.

Not everyone loves their car as much as A43go6mt and wants to own it for decades. I had an immaculate B7 S4, but once I took a step back, modding it further (built motor/supercharger) was only going to make me happy short term. I knew I wanted to be in an RS4 eventually because it has almost everything I want in stock form so it was time to cut my losses and move on. Add in the diminishing value of the S4s and the decision was a no brainer.