Audi s6 c6 avant 2006 oil leak oil filter housing procedure

Hello All,
This is my first post on this site, and reading some of the interesting posts I think I’ve arrived at the right site!

Audi S6 c6 5.2 v10 2006 UK.(oil leak).

Hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction for my first of many jobs on a long list😩.

Bad oil leak
First step, lifted car as oil was apparent from several areas.

Undertray removed and cleaned accessible areas, sump etc.

First diagnosis is oil is coming from underside of front crank pulley area.
Unable at this stage to see if oil is above the pulley.

I intend firstly to run a dye through to see if this will aid identify the source of the leak.

My areas of concern will be:
Front crank seal.
Oil pressure switch.
Oil filter housing o rings.
Valve cover gaskets.

Car is used a a vital daily runner so I can only tackle a few jobs at a time over a 1-2 day period.

From what I have read, could you guys point me in the direction of a detailed procedure for replacing the oil filter housing seals?

This is firstly to start gaining knowledge before I pick up the spanners🙂.

Thanks in advance

Rich

Hi Rich and welcome to one of (if not) the best Audi S6 forum in the interweb :wink:
I’m a noob here as well, but have had a lot of help in a couple of threads as well as from reading a lot here.

I can’t give you much “experience” feedback on the 2 last “jobs” on your list, but I have personally done the 2 first.

1. You should consider doing the 2 o-ring seals on the engine oil cooler as well. If your valve cover gaskets are leaking those 2 o-rings will for sure, as well.

2. It is possible to change the oil pressure switch without much dismantling (done that) but it is way easier to do it in conjunction with one of the other jobs (also done that).

3. I would make this a (not more than) 2 job project.

Why a 2 job project you might ask… well front crank seal, oil pressure switch and oil cooler o-rings all require coolant drainage, so it makes a lot of sense to group those.

Front crank seal is quite easy. I did it last year and wanted to do a writeup on that job because I didn’t have all the special VAG tools “needed” so I did it with “layman’s” tools. Will do a thread soon.

When doing the oil cooler o-rings I recommend doing the 4 hoses attached to the cooler and generator and also using new clamps!
Its not a big-big job, but it requires patience :wink:
Perhaps also do the belt and wheels while you are in there… you have to remove it anyways.

/Kim

Hi Kim, cant thank you enough for your advice, its well appreciated!
Yes you are spot on with only a couple of jobs at a time, and me too only have layman’s tools, if there’s a will there’s a way😉.
I need to plan this well as I will be properly stuck if I cant complete within a couple of days.
Scouring the Internet as I type to locate the spares, would you recommend anywhere or straight to the stealers?

Again thanks for the information, its top shelf.

Will look out for your thread on the crank seal as this is going to help me.

Its nice to know people like yourself are around when something goes wrong with these S6’s as none of the local garages want to touch them.

Best regards

Rich