Audi SQ5 Release

Figured this was worth a post. The “exclusive” version sounds great but not sure it’s worth 120k. Really like these just wish we could have seen a 3.0T/DSG/Sport diff version!

http://strumors.automobilemag.com/files/2012/09/Audi-SQ5-TDI-Audi-Exclusive-Concept-front-three-quarter-623x389.jpg

[quote]By now we’re familiar with the Audi SQ5 TDI — not only the company’s first crossover to wear the vaunted S performance badge, but also the first S product to have a diesel engine. Now the automaker has created an even more special version of the SQ5 TDI, called the Audi Exclusive Concept, and it’s limited to just 50 units.

The main difference from other versions of the Audi SQ5 TDI is a new Aral Blue paint for the exterior and black Nappa leather for the interior. Also on the inside, that Nappa leather covers the seats, steering wheel, armrest, and dashboard. The sport seats have snow white contrast stitching, and the center section has what Audi claims is the first production-car implementation of “woven” snow white and black leather.

The smattering of black leather contrasts against snow white Alcantara on the headliner, pillars, and door panels. Natural ash wood trim adorns much of the interior, while the door panels and doorsills bear special Audi Exclusive badges.

Mechanically, this Exclusive car is no different from any other Audi SQ5 TDI. The crossover has a twin-turbo 3.0-liter diesel V-6 good for 313 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque, which Audi says enables a 0-to-62 mph time of 5.1 seconds. An eight-speed automatic transmission and Audi’s quattro all-wheel-drive system are standard. Despite the performance credentials, the automaker says the SQ5 TDI can manage 33 mpg on the European cycle and tow 5291 pounds. A new suspension means the SQ5 TDI rides 1.18 inches lower than a regular Q5 crossover, and all models receive visual tweaks like a platinum-gray grille, aluminum mirror caps, a larger roof spoiler, quad tailpipes, and aluminum pedals.

Audi plans to introduce the SQ5 TDI Audi Exclusive concept at the Paris Motor Show later this month. The regular Audi SQ5 TDI goes on sale in Germany in early 2013 for €58,500 (about $76,600), while the Audi Exclusive version will cost €92,000 (about $120,500).

Read more: http://rumors.automobilemag.com/audi-creating-50-exclusive-versions-of-sq5-tdi-170109.html#ixzz26l21AcsP
[/quote]

I’d love to see that motor in a B8

Wouldn’t a 2.0TDI Q5/B8 Avant/anything-longitudinal-and-quattro sell in droves in North America?

When I bought my Q5 recently I was hoping they had a turbo diesel engine option, but unfortunately they didn’t. The 3.2FSI isn’t amazing, but it’s pretty sufficient of the Q5 and the gas mileage is decent. Honestly, my wife loves the damn thing and you guys know that’s all I care about. Wife happy…life HAPPY

I initially ordered a Q5 3.2 but ended up cancelling. Those cars in S-Line trim are beautiful.

I think if I were to consider one of those again I would go 2.0T and then bolt on an APR K04 setup. Would make for perfect power for a SUV that size.

I’d hope so, my gf has a mk6 golf tdi and it was pretty much already sold when her lease expired. If I could get longitudinal/tdi/awd I’d come back to audi, especially if its a 6 banger. I’d still like to get a v10tdi toureg.

scary thought, lol

I opted to not get the 2.0t for the reason that I would eventually want to mess with it like you just stated.

Here is a pic of our S-line http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=1030.0

When we were haggling price the dealership tried to act like there were 3 Q5 for sale in the whole country. Eventually they came to their senses and we made the purchase.

I was keen to grab a 2.0T turbo diesel Q5…but then a salesman at the local dealer told me not to hold my breath (and to just go ahead and keep my 2.0T petrol engined B8 Avant).

Apparently we are going to get a Q5 hybrid though.

p.s. interesting stat: wife and I drove our B8 A4 Avant (her driving) and B7 RS4 to a tire shop about 20 miles away from home (I got some new Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the RS4). We both reset our average fuel computer, then drove there, both going the speed limits (highway = 60 MPH).

RS4 4.2 FSI = 24.7 MPG
B8 A4 2.0T = 26.9 MPG

It’s all about how you drive it.

true, but the diesels love to be flogged on and still give killer numbers. My gf is a fairly aggressive driver and never sees less than 38mpg measured with the odometer/pump in a stop and go commute. On longer trips, once the dpf gets cleared out its normally mid 50’s mpg.

There is another side to the story in the UK (and probably true for the rest of Europe). There is an annual road tax to pay in the UK. When I bought my 2.0TDI in 2006, it was £120/yr for the 2.0 FSI (non turbo, yes such a thing exists) A3 vs £60/yr for the 2.0 TDI. Not much of a saving to offset the additional buy-in cost.

But then there’s insurance. For whatever reason, the TDI cost me about £600/yr to insure vs £1500 for the non turbo gas/petrol version. I guess diesel drivers are less likely to drive like a twat and crash their cars. When in reality, TDI drivers are generally single road overtaking junkies due to the 236 lb.ft of torque available.

Those kind of ongoing financial incentives don’t seem to exist here in Ontario. There’s just the 2 yearly e-test ($55, the same if you’re diesel or not) and annual insurance which does not seem to be car performance related. A B6 1.8T sedan would cost me about $400/yr more to insure than my B6 S4 Avant. B6 1.8T and 4.2 Avants cost the same to insure.

insurance is purely statistical from my understanding… which results in oddities like you saw. For instance when I bought my s4 it was $170/month, an 05 sti was $420/month.

for the incentives for getting diesels, iirc there are tax credits you can take for getting a gas/electric hybrid but not diesels, or they arent as large. Its ridiculous, gas/electric hybrids are a joke. The pizza cutter tires on a prius probably help as much as anything else.

edit* checked and all the incentives are gone, but for reference in 2006 the prius had a $3150 credit vs the $1300 for a golf tdi manual

not really any tax incentives…and in fact there’s a massive DIS-incentive. The diesel fuel in the USA is primarily used by trucks. Trucks fuck up the roads the most (wear and tear) so the states and federal governments through supertaxes on diesel fuel. The old days of diesel saw that this was unfair, but since diesel was so ‘dirty’, governments turned the other way (especially in the 70s/80s when they were in a war to protect the domestic manufacturers…and 99.99% of diesel cars sold were imports).

The net result is that if you buy a diesel gas miser like a 2.0TDI you get hit with truck taxes on your fuel purchase…which is going to hurt the efficiency you can obtain.

It’s really lame.

true, but I was talking about the tax credit program. if it were extended past the 60k car mark to everyone buying an alternative fuel car (maybe a smaller credit to those buying preowned) maybe there’d be a shift in buying habits

I’m well aware, but tax added to fuel or tax incentive given to electric cars…it’s all the same tax. Mine and your income tax.

Not only do you not get the tax credit/rebate at purchase on a diesel…you have to pay an unrealistic premium that was designed to address the logistics companies costing the states billions in roadwork costs.

The whole electric car thing is ridiculous. Works great! Saves $3000 a year on fuel! I’m green!

They forget that the guy is paying $1000 a year in electricity…which comes from coal fired generators lol. They’re also forgetting that the car, vs an equally equipped car, is about $15,000 more expensive to build/buy. So you save a couple grand a year…but pay $15,000 more to do so. Brilliant business model. Fortunately the moronic government gives you a rebate when you buy the car (BIG rebates too). Where’d they get that rebate from? MY FUCKING INCOME TAX!!!

WTF is going on here??? Are we this dumb?

I’d rather have my income tax used to switch people over to small diesels vs paying for any number of ridiculous entitlements/foreign wars/foreign aid so in a way I’m alright with it. Using tax money to encourage the move towards a sustainable future is fine with me, as long as those sustainable solutions are truly that. Granted hoping for a true unadulterated solution from the government is a colossal pipe dream. I deal with this kind of system often at my work, we contribute about $400k to two industrial energy efficiency funds collected by our utilities providers on mandate from the state. This money can then be tapped into to cover the capital for energy efficiency projects. Its fairly useful at the moment for getting some natural gas use reduction measures in place, since the low cost of natural gas at the moment is putting the payback into the no fly zone.

and yeah, the plug in electric car is fucking moronic… look at transmission line losses as a start.

I think Top Gear highlighted the carbon footprint that these electric cars and their batteries in particular leave in the manufacturing process.

Yes, my S4 produces a lot of CO2 and uses the annual fuel of a small Pacific island, but at least most of it can be recycled!