Audi TT 2.7T

Subtitle: The original Audi TT was a handsome little bugger, but it was always lacking under the hood. Audi’s quattro GmbH built one with Audi’s 2.7 liter turbo V6, which is more Audi RS4 than TT.

http://jalopnik.com/this-never-seen-audi-tt-prototype-could-eat-porsche-911-1454164828

Great link. I love factory Frankensteins!

That is a very cool car. Would have been a winner if they could keep the costs down. However I suspect it would have been in R8 territory!

That’s one awesome TT.

Wonder if Audi shut down the idea as too much of a performance competitor with the Porsches or simply too expensive to make/sell? I know they’re two totally different cars, but back in the day that would have been a serious performer. The current TTRS is awesome, but doesn’t touch the speeds the new 911turbo does stock (granted, twice the price lol).

I know VAG keeps a pretty close eye on where the performance of each platform falls so there’s a little overlap, but not too much. Just as each manufacture does within each model.

Pretty cool concept though. One I certainly wouldn’t have thought would fit in the little TT. I was expecting to see some company making a pitiful attempt to cram the old 2.7 in there for some nutty B5 guy, not an oem install from Audi themselves.

very cool! thanks for sharing…

Definitely not. Don’t forget Audi and Porsche were angry competitors back in 2002, not friends under the VAG roof.

In fact in the following 5 years, Porsche was loading up on call options to quietly takeover VAG back then. The financial crisis made the LBO impossible, so VAG ended up buying Porsche.

Ah, didn’t know that. Cool info. I figured they never were really direct competitors due to model lines available and price point.