Audi violently shakes when braking

Hey guys my audi s6 2007 it violently shakes when braking from high speeds does anyone know why it would do this? I don’t think it’s the brake pads. Could it be the control arms? Because I never changed them. Or possibly the rotors?

I also forgot to mention when it’s violently shaking hard when braking from a high speed the steering wheel violently shakes.

My recently reassembled s6 is doing this also after also putting on new lower CAs. From 120 down to 80 hard brake, violent shake, dont know why either. I am going to try an alignment and then dig further if the problem persues

I wonder if it’s the rotors plaguing us

No I am a brake queen def nothing to do with brakes on my side

Hmm I wonder what it could be then. I literally just got a code for my knock sensor going yesterday I wonder if that has to do with it

Hey guys
I though I would chime in on the posts regarding the shakes when braking.
I would say that it is likely the rotors or something in the front end.
Do you have any brake pedal pulses?

What do you mean by brake pedal pulses?

Well when a rotor is warped enough it will push the caliber piston back into the caliber which in turn creates a hydraulic pulse that can be felt in the pedal.
I have had this in my other Audi, including steering wheel vibration and shudder.
Does the vibration occur in any other driving situations?

I’ll take a video of it hopefully today or tomorrow

https://youtube.com/shorts/bVqET2jLfbk?feature=share

It’s worse at high speed

Definitely sounds like a warped rotor if only occurs when braking,
Have your rotors been recently replaced?

No they never been changed

Depending on mileage I would def say warped rotors and it doesn’t take much, I had a terrible vibration when braking from highway speed to a stop. One was out by 2 one thousandth of an inch. I put cheap ones on and was gone.
Improper bedding in pads can also cause issues
But yes send me a video I’m curious now

I had a very similar situation about a year and a half ago and it was due to an uneven buildup of friction material on the rotor disc. This can happen if you come to a complete stop with really hot rotors.

I just brought my two front rotors (and an old hub) to a local machine shop and they took off just enough to get them back down to a “smooth” surface. I remounted them on the vehicle along with some new pads, took it for drive and the vibration was completely gone.

Yes Eng92 has a good point as well, if your rotors are still good try that, a set of pads and a turn would be a lot cheaper than rotors

I took my FL wheel off to do an inspection of all my stuff. I noticed my hub centric ring on my FL tire wasn’t seated correctly. I think this was my issue but will keep yall posted.

There is no such thing as warped rotors. its impossible metal doesn’t warp this is an internet thing not a real thing. No such thing of warped rotors exists.

Other than having some suspension issues. Where the suspension is juttering under load change due to possible end link or control arm issues.

Generally it’s as the guys already said. Pad deposits. A small part of brake pad gets “cooked or baked” into the actual metal. You it the brakes from a high speed. The rotors start to glow and heat up they get to very high temps. The rotors are still glowing hot and you come to a complete stop and hold you foot on the brake pedal. Thus pushing the brake pads into the glowing hot metal. A small amount of brake material gets imbedded in the metal.

Once you have this brake pad imbedded into the rotor when you stop from higher speeds the rotors heat back up and pull the brake material back to the surface and then you have brake pads in the calipers now making contact with brake pad material in the rotor. It causes a violent vibration due to the coarseness of the two materials coming in contact.

This is not an uncommon thing. You can either high speed scrub your rotors by heat pulsing and cleaning them. Or take them off and have the rotors turned. That will take off enough material to in most cases eliminate the issues.

Thank you. My eye was starting to twitch.

I concur with the above statement about the brakes. I know it’s not brake related for me because it didnt do it before I replaced my control arms. I think it is my tires or wheels as I am getting mild vibration out of the front after changing these. I’m going to try swapping wheels left to right and see if vibration follows next. Alignment didnt do shit