B8 A5 6 Month ownership review

I thought I’d share my thoughts on how I feel after driving the car for some time. Put shortly, I LOVE IT. The performance was a bit lackluster at first, but replacing the failed thermostat + carbon cleaning made the car run the way it should.
It feels incredibly planted and steady when cruising, almost as if it’s a much bigger car than what it is. The fuel economy when highway driving is actually comparable to my Mazda3 skyactiv. I find it odd how it can usually get 2-5mpg better than my 2010 CC manual did doing the same drive. The 8 speed auto is awesome.
The only small issues are some wind noise from the driver’s side window leaking in a couple of spots, which might be from the door not being aligned well. I also find the rpms need to be a bit higher than my CC & my mom’s tiguan to make boost.
It needs to be at about 2200-2400 to light up the turbo, where as the VW’s can make full boost at 1800 if they’re lugged down. Not sure if this is normal or maybe there’s an issue with the turbo. The DV is the D revision and I replaced the pcv just in case. I can’t hear any boost leaks.
The car also came with some aftermarket wheels with cheap tires that I mistakenly replaced with the same ones that would vibrate horribly at speed even though they were balanced properly, and the car would yaw quite a bit with some wheel input at speed. I put the 19" lemans wheels with Potenza re050’s I planned on using for the a6 for now and the car is buttery smooth now. Those old wheels are now up for sale.
Anyways, I will definitely be keeping this one for a while. A trans fluid/filter will be coming soon, and a tune down the road. It will most likely be a stage 1. I would like a k04 setup, but I don’t have regular access to 93, unless a company could detune it to make it safe. I find it funny how the gen 3 engines can make way more power on lower octane.
Cheers everyone!

1 Like

Should be a reliable car, a few known issues but nothing big. My daughter has one but she lives out of state so I have to try and manager her Mx from long distance. Definitely get the 8sp ATF/Filter done, it’s the key to a long transmission life, Audi doesn’t care about the fluid as it’s out of warranty at 50k miles. Do you have Vagcom? Otherwise you may need to take it to someone that can read the transmission temps for servicing.