B8 S4/S5 track videos and pictures thread

For what the 458 costs, I was surprised how little of a gain he made on the straights. The S4 didn’t give up until I hit 5th gear. 80-115 MPH I was holding to him pretty good. It makes sense that Ferrari is going to turbo motors. The Z06 or the 997/991 Turbo would have dusted both of us on that straight.

where in the video is the Z06?

7:18

Random video student took in my car, from Thunderhill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN11kwhHKFE

OK just got back from CTMP (Canadian Tire Motorsports Park aka Mosport).
Pulled a 1:38.1… :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbZz6TwA6fQ

Car is driving great now with the latest tweaks. Weak link is still the brakes :frowning:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-C8W7eLDNS9o/VbunXtgSs6I/AAAAAAAAA38/oo3PEeF8x3E/s1600/IMG-20150730-WA0001.jpg

That’s a fun track. Drove Porsches there a few years ago. Made me head sick it was so fun. (concussions history). But it was big enough that you could chill out and just enjoy the fast sections and take it easy through turns. Places like Cayuga or Shannonville seem like they’re more about attacking corners which is less fun in 4000 lb cars with lots of hp. Ideal for something spritely though.

^Yup, totally with you on the Mosport comments.
There’s a lot more time between corners. U can just chill there and enjoy the straight line speed between corners if you wanted to. That said, I do find Mosport a bit too slow pace for me (read: not velocity, but time between corners), so it’s a little less engaging. Worth going to for sure though.

Saki, you still get out to the road course much (despite head sick problems?)? I wonder if a flatter track would reduce or not cause the sickness.

nah, I never go. If I do, I end up with headaches for the rest of the day and maybe the next.

I was never really into it and have only taken other people’s cars, never my own. I can totally see what you mean about mosport though. I can see it being fun for a day, but not a place you want to go every week. It would be like an 800 yard par 5…fun to blast your driver off the tee the first couple of times you play it, but you quickly realise there’s just a bunch of boring walking interrupted by a couple of shots before you get down to actual scoring (chipping/putting greenside). On the track, scoring is the corners, and the straights are blasting the driver. Blasting the driver is fun…but not all the time.

It’s funny when road course guys try to say the dragstrip is boring. It’s really not totally boring…getting there, ripping the car, that’s fun. Getting your report card. But you don’t want to do it more than 1 or 2x a year. Because it is frankly boring. It’s like a dyno really. You don’t join a dyno. Just as you probably don’t join a dragstrip. You might join a driving club though because it’s always different and always fun.

Man, I really want to go out to mosport. Let’s do a BMW 2 day event there next year? AR track day 8) West can be my instructor.

Drag strip becomes boring when it takes 2 hr to stage and they don’t post times on the big board. But otherwise, it’s a good time. Like all these events, pretty much everyone is into cars and loves to talk about them. The one car activity that is boring to me are car shows. Haven’t gone to tons, but it gets stupid hearing/telling people “how much HP” this or that has. Oh, and AutoX can be pretty boring.

I only go to the dragstrip

1. when it’s cold - keeps away 80% of the cars, and all of the spectators/people who are there to fuck around
  2. on Saturday or Sunday mornings - again…keeps away the party crowd who come in droves on summer nights

Basically I go when there’ s areason to test my car, and I go in November or April, otherwise, I don;t bother. I have been like 10 x over the past 7 years and 2 of those times were at night in the summer…what a waste of time, money and petrol.

It’d be fun to do a track like Mosport in the CTS-V.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/31/2016-cadillac-cts-v-first-drive/

I’m careless enough to let at least some of you from out of town run my car at Laguna or Thunderhill if you wanted to share a car for an event. Maybe pay something nominal to cover wear and tear and keep it arm’s length. I don’t need to be your instructor.

I would love to take you up on that offer when i am in the bay area! would be fun times

That is a really generous offer west.

also yes, let’s do a ctmp day XD
not sure i’d want to do trillium tho. they are veryyyyy anal and slowly run :frowning:
how about OTA school? :slight_smile:

That’s an awesome gesture. Mad props. Let me know if you’re ever up here too. :slight_smile:

If anyone can take me to Road Atlanta again, that would be awesome. I last drove it in 2008 in my BMW. I know GEOJOE on Audizine is based in Atlanta. I’m out there for work a lot now. Heading back to the Porsche Experience Center next week to drive a 991 GT3 and a 991 Turbo S. It might ruin my life.

How does that Porsche drive thing compare to an actual event? I’ve been pushing my boss hard to cover an sae class at bmw’s track in SC. He isn’t really going for it lol.

The 991 GT3 is an absolutely gorgeous car…

I wonder if the cooling on the cts-v is better than the new z06? There is more room for air to circulate in the engine bay at least.