B8 weight loss thread

A factory B8 with the spare tire and tools pulled out of the trunk weighs about 3860 lbs in 6MT, or 3900 with the DSG. Let’s assume a half tank of gas. Here’s how you can lose a little over 300 pounds:

Dry Weight +3810
gas - 8 gallons +48
front brakes BBK -20
Rear brakes RS5 -8
rear seats -67
lion battery -40
exhaust -7
LW flywheel -5
flowform wheels/cup2 tires -44
aluminum dampers -8
rear door panels -14
rear speaker deck -8
carbon hood -33
front recaros -111
rollcage +58
front door panels -20
front armrest console -10

I wonder what 300 lbs equates to in the 1/4 mile time reduction. One could also find a 100 lb person to drive.

2-3 tenths
2 mph or so

The 1/4 time is going to be impacted disproportionately by the unsprung weight: brakes, aluminum dampers, lighter tires, lighter wheels. If you’re not hitting the road course, you can go with a 4 pot 345mm brake for the A4 instead kf a 6 pot 380mm.

The rest of it just allows the car to change direction more easily. Some rear downforce balances the car’s weight distribution out so you can effectively use the rear tire.

Don’t worry west he wasn’t talking about your clunker at the quarter mile. He meant in general and in the hands of a non hack driver.

The S4 is only ever a $4000 clutch job away from being as fast in the 1/4 as a $19k Mustang with 0% financing and $4k cash back.

Funny after reading all your posts all these years you insult people for running the audi in the 1/4 . Yet you spent thousands and turned your car into a hack-sawed mess to go the the track…to be just as fast as a 5k Miata

If the S4 came with a full size spare you probably pulled that out I would think. So you can add that to the list.

The weights you put in do they off set the difference between the oem units and what you added or are those just the weights of the parts you removed

Great thread

it’s not full sized, but a donut. Still weighs probably 35-40 lbs

My Car with complete interior, nothing removed(Spare Included) stock 19" wheels, RS5 Brakes all around weighed in at 3898 Yesterday /w 1/2 tank of fuel. so pretty close in your guess

Let’s be clear - I spent the money to make it faster than the M4 around Laguna Seca and succeeded. Now I am working on making it as fast as the GT4.

An old Miata does low 1:5x at Laguna. A tuned german sedan is good for low 1:4x, so up to 10 seconds apart. A spec miata with the best driver in the world is like a 1:47, which you can do in an A4.

I have no problem with people who do 1/4 mile and autocross. I just don’t like the performance anxiety of sitting around for 30-60 minutes between sub-minute runs. Particularly because I am so bad at driving that I need a lot of mulligans.