B9 S4

Let’s stick with this thread. Disregard the other two.

are you guys sure it’s a single turbo, and that’s not a typo from motor authority?

:slight_smile: had to troll the mods

Automobile magazine quoted “turbocharged”; “twin turbo” would’ve been stated if it was, right? Autoguide states the same

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/15/a3cd59007dc27f9fcac61b0a9efdd573.jpg

#huffingandpuffing

No, but it would make sense for them to do a single.

I haven’t seen anything that said single turbo really but it probably is.

They copied the BMW dashboard, and copied the MB C class Nav screen, so why not copy the BM’s engine as well.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--GjE0J-6G--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1431812251766757008.jpg

This thing is pretty cool…tesla killing range, and equal ‘fuel efficiency’…for $80,000 less. How does 150 mpg sound everyone? aka $5 to go 300 miles. Oh, and over 10 years, you get paid $600/month to drive it compared to the tesla. Or you can use that $80,000 to buy a 2 year old RS7 and trounce the Tesla.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TiR5rjNAlIc/VfhLY22hCiI/AAAAAAAAW1g/FrUgc1U4BZQ/s1600/audi-a3-e-tron-iaa-livepics-8.jpg

I was just under the impression from this statement:

“The S4 still features a 3.0-liter V-6, however, the previous model’s supercharger has been replaced by a turbocharger

Could be typo though

Haha. Didn’t know there was a B9 section. Guess I need to get out more… You can delete this if you want as it looks like there already a similar thread.

nah, it’s brand new. Clochner just added it today. I be trollin

yeah, saw that too. That’s what I thought was potentially a typographical error.

So far the best part of the auto show was the BMW CEO giving a presentation. At that precise moment, the Audi S4 was revealed with its copycat 3.0 single turbo and BMW dashboard…and then this happened

http://static.theglobeandmail.ca/68e/report-on-business/article26363583.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/-544255752.JPG

he actually just fainted. Pretty poor showing lol.

the new S4 is 187 inches long

the B8 is 185.7 inches long interestingly

getting steadily bigger

the B7 is only 181 inches long!

Yea that’s pretty fucked up that he fainted. Got to be one of those super bowl moments for those execs, at least in terms of the public spotlight. Wonder where the M2 was, that will be a cool little machine.

In terms of interior, I really like the instrument cluster, hopefully there is a solid HUD to interact with it. The center stack is very bland and then I’m not a fan of the new center console. The cup holders are positioned in a strange place. I will admit that the mmi button orgy in the B8 (marginally better in the B8.5) was pretty awful, so hopefully the ergonomics are improved. It’ll probably have the modular nvidia tech, so you’ll in theory be able to update the infotainment, but probably will cost serious $$$

Slushbox = no go for me. Won’t drive a performance car without at least one clutch (whether automated or manual) and no torque converter.

I don’t like where the engine start stop button is though, and the seats in the red car photos are aweful

have you driven any of the new ZF cars? It’s not that bad at all. I reckon your rules will mean you either find yourself driving nothing but older cars or driving small displacement 4 bangers (golf GTI, S3 etc), because the DSG systems are frankly not keeping up with the power and torque being made by the newer models. The manual is just being dumped altogether.

You are now looking at 500 hp being the ‘normal’ starting range of HP for AMG/M/RS type cars, and with turbo torque being part of the picture, the DSG is being left behind in favour of 7 or 8 speed ‘slushboxes’. Interestingly I hear virtually zero complaints from automotive periodicals who review these cars.

Now that I’m back in a traditional automatic, I have to say it’s not bad at all. Granted, I probably have one of the better autos on the market, but I thought my reaction would be more negative than it turned out in the end.

I do think it is very telling that Audi decided to drop the DSG even from the new S4. It must say something about long-term reliability.

OH YA, PLEASE KEEP ALL POSTS ABOUT THE B9 IN THE THREAD THAT PRIME CREATED.

I’m shocked that someone from Germany would be an introvert and faint when talking in front of people. Not really. Maybe someone from America can do it for him while he goes back to his day job of corporate espionage to make sure the 320i is exactly the same as the C250 and A4?

I believe it’s a few factors: cost, reliability. First, the S4 is going to come in a hair under USD$50,000. You’ve got turbo motor that can easily make 400 ft/lb of torque with proper fuel. You’re not going to drop the engineering equivalent of a $14,000 heavy duty PDK from the 991.2 turbo cars into an S4, because it will make the car too expensive (like the Jag F Type which didn’t sell well despite being pretty awesome). The old DSG probably doesn’t have 250,000 miles in it under any circumstance, but every one of these ZF8’s should make it that far unless they have a serious irregularity or defect. It’s a more reliable part for a car where most people frankly don’t care what automatic is inside. Would you check the box for an $8000 double clutch transmission option if it were available? Doubt it. It’s $4000 for a PDK option on Porsche and the manual is actually the same 7 speed box with the actuators and software removed. The ZF8 part is cheap and “good enough” to deliver the numbers.

Not looking good for the RS4.

I wouldn’t touch a used S4 with a DSG and 100k miles on it under any circumstance. Then again, the manual needs a stronger clutch but it’s only a $3k job.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--lQK7oxuk--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1431812251603147152.jpg

Yeah, I just don’t like “not that bad.” I like engaging and not a compromize for a main connection to the car on a 50k+ car. I was planning on keeping my B8 a while anyways, but this makes it easier. 3 pedals is my first choice, as it is just flat out more fun for me, speed be damned. If I can’t have that I want something with a true manual mode (i.e. the RS5 DSG or M3/4 DCT). The latter will likely be what I get in my next car as it will keep the fiance happy, but I don’t like the slushy engagement, “manual” programming that still upshifts or downshifts for you, undefeatable kickdown switches, and inability to engine brake.

In any case, it appears you can still get BMWs and a couple MB AMGs without a torque converter, so there are still options and will be for the next several years.