Broken PCV Hose clips

Hi Everyone,

Just getting back to some work on my car after a nice little break. In tracking down some misfires, I performed another smoke test, this time through the front of the intake manifold. This led to much better results and I located a vacuum leak through the throttle body gasket. I replaced the gasket and the car is running much better. I performed another smoke test and it looks like I still might have some small vacuum leaks, but I’m also questioning if I might have just had too much pressure coming from the smoke machine.

The leaks were coming from what looks like 2 PCV hoses which have broken clips. One is the clip that goes to the back of the intake tube, and the other is the main crossover pipe that connects to the PCV valve. I have pushed both of these in snug and didnt think they would be an issue.

My questions are: is it a given that if these clips are broken that it will result in a vacuum leak? Are there ways to ensure they have a tight seal without purchasing the whole new hose?

Thanks in advance!

I have some broken clips on mine but I have not seen them leak on a smoke test. I think those connections have orings, so you might check those and add a dab of grease or replace them to help the seal.

I’m not sure what others do for the smoke test, but I put a disposable glove over the air inlet and I always keep the pressure high enough to inflate the glove without blowing it off.

What I have done for helping some people in a pinch I remove the end of the hose clips and replace them with a rubber hose and then clamp them around the intake fittings