c6 s6 e85

I have been wanting to convert my 08 s6 to e85 for a while now but dont have any info about it. what all would need replaced to run e85? would just an e compatible in tank pump and tune work? and know of anyone around indiana area that would tune it for e?

bumping this up because it is something i will be inquiring about once my S6 is up and running again. On the new DIT WRXā€™s we can run up to E30 with zero tune adjustment and helps keep detonation to a minimum as well as much cleaner when it comes to carbon build up. Also on all my DIT Subarus i run e50-e65 (not straight e85 to keep the high pressure fuel pump from overheating) and whenever i pull the motor either to replace (weak rods) or to upgrade, i have ZERO carbon built up on the valves even after thousands of miles of use and abuse.

1 Like

FIRST OFF WOWā€¦Demetrius back on the TEAMā€¦WOWā€¦ That is hugeā€¦Seriously Hugeā€¦ It will be great to have you backā€¦Should be very funā€¦

This has been a popular car as of late. They are so cheap itā€™s hard to not look at them as a great option. From the logging I have done for the few local guys. What I have seen is you can get close to E20ish on the OEM tune and the JHM tune will let you get to about E30/35.

Being that the cars are NA. You really donā€™t need more than that. So straight up E85 isnā€™t really needed and to be honest there doesnā€™t look to be a ton of power hiding past the E30 range

What you can also do is the math like this.

add 2 gallons of E85 to every 5gallons of 93 and you will have 98 octane. MORE than enough, Remember you can over octane a NA car. Too much octane isnā€™t always better from what I have seen.

A good readā€¦for guys interested in blending.

yes sir, saw all the fun you guys are having so i went and found me a ratty, high mileage s6 to play around with. it was wacked up front so it needs new fans but i already got me a lightweight crank pulley, IM spacers, new IM, injectors, doing carbon cleaning and then go from there. does it get any cooler than a lambo v10 in a 4 door sedan? im excited to get back to some grass roots modding with you guys

running a little corn mix will really help these guys fight back heat soak and detonation especially come summer time. also help with carbon. im sure the full power benefit of it wont be seen until we are force fed and have long tubes and what not but i will be running the corn juice to avoid carbon build up. even at e50-e65, the factory system on a NA car should stay happy and build little to no carbon at all. obviously will pickle the system time to time to keep thing lubricated but for us int he subaru world, ethanol is the fountain of youth

Hey D just wondering if you ever got around to mixing any e? If so did you see any differences and did you change anything up before doing so?

Just finally got around to doing it today. About 6 gallons of 85 and 15 gallons of 93. Drove around for like 2 hours maybe. Canā€™t really say itā€™s a difference you can feel. But going off of the facts im going to assume its running a little cooler than usual. Donā€™t have any access to a vagcom or a dyno right now so I couldnā€™t say for sure.

I always throw a couple gallons with each 93 fill up to help with detonation and keep the valves a bit cleaner. Its kept my car running consistent. Its a practice i do on all my cars even my non DI ones.

Awesome. Something im going to try to start doing. Any issues with wear on any fuel components from it? Iā€™m sure if we were to try to run higher ethanol content we would see that quickly, but wasnā€™t sure with the lower content if you do.

Ive ran some high content briefly prior to hitting a gas station to spike with 93 and car felt fine but nothing extended. Id say im probably consistently between e25-e30 regardless. I really do it to keep carbon at bay since it really causes a ton of issues with injectors and whatnot. CV hasnt given me the go ahead to tank fully on e85 yet as im still on the standard jhm flash

Im on their catless tune right now. Yeah cv can get a tune and everything to go full E85 Iā€™m definitely on board.

On the NA cars a splash of E85 helpsā€¦ Just remember too much and your going to over octane it and since E85 has less energy release than standard petrol you have to make sure you weigh the gains.

I think as demetrius_prime said e25 is a good place to be. E40 would be close to the max as at some point your fuel trims are going to get maxed out.

Damn Iā€™m behind schedule from yall! I need these cats GONE and a retune asap! I only get 91 here too ugh

If you ask me. Being in states that only have 91. E85 is a Night and day life saver. NA cars generally donā€™t pick up a ton with E as the cooling properties and octane make bigger gains on turbo or boosted apps where the heat is really an issue.

Still tho 91 especially 91 in heavy emissions controlled states with crazy additives added. E makes a big difference and you only have to add a few gallons. Once you find the stations that have it in your area.

Do you think adding that little bit of E we should change to a different plug setup or even gap them different? Iā€™m assuming that little of a percentage probably not

I over Eā€™d todayā€¦misfired real bad, cel flashing, multiple misfire and extreme lean mixture codes. Once i got 93 in there it was mint but it ran ROUGH

So got it all sorted out. I was running around e28. Car was very happy with but imo the worry isnā€™t worth the reward. So I think Iā€™m gonna save the corn mix for race nights.

There is a good homebrew race gas thread on here. Itā€™s worth looking into thatā€™s how I do it.