Coolant pump help

Great job! Doing the WP is a PITA for sure. Add the oil cooler seals and that only adds to the fun. I disliked that portion more.

Ed

I take it the car must be in service position to do the WP and oil cooler?

Correct.

Ed

I would say yes definitely service position. The oil cooler isn’t too bad - just need to remove the alternator. That water pump though - not fun. Hope you have an easier time than I did. Either way though do yourself a favor and put it into service position.

This was the tool kit I was going to buy to replicate total technik, the youtuber. Aside from jack stands, hand tools, and the kit, anything else for service position? Maybe a bucket to capture coolant.

I’ll be honest I’ve not seen that kit personally but it looks pretty cool. However in both the case of the oil cooler and the water pump it was much easier for me to open that entire front clip like a book but leaving the condenser connected - then having the clip propped up on something firm and of the proper height. I also used a bungee cord to help keep it in place if I bumped it. I’m sure more seasoned guys could probably get it done by just pulling the clip forward like Total technik but for me it was easier to go the extra steps to get more access. Keep in mind though I was also was doing an alternator swap, multiple hoses and o-rings, idler pulley, tensioner and crankshaft pulley. Your mileage may vary.

I did the same thing, left one side connected and opened it like a door with it propped up. I think I used my engine hoist as added security when I did my WP & Oil Cooler o rings.

Ed