Cross post from Vendrorzine... TCU tune information

[QUOTE=Sean@APR;11297065]Some of this came up in another thread and we were asked not to thread jack, so I’m respecting that and copying the whole thing over here and answering it properly.

• Updated - - -

My initial response:

• Updated - - -

Bianco’s response:
[/quote]

[QUOTE=Sean@APR;11297113]Now, there’s a lot going on here and I’m going to try to clarify all of it. A handful of people have apparently been watching primes video and not understanding what they’re seeing.

This post is to clarify exactly what we do, why we do it and what it means to both the regular customer and the “I’m chasing the S4 world record” customer.

Yes, that’s the video of the record being set. What you’re missing is what’s actually going on and what the issue is.

First of all, prime has L/C disabled. The Gen 1 boxes don’t launch well enough for world record level runs. They have a smaller oil pump and can’t lock up the clutches as fast as the later units. So, we offer Gen 1 flashes with or without L/C. Prime has loads of experience launching the car and his “smash and go” technique is the best available for launching a Gen 1 car. It’s as good as L/C on a Gen 2. All of these are assuming good tires and good track prep. We’ve done Gen 2 cars with “street legal” tires or slicks and the results are basically the same. Everybody in the hunt for the top spots has either slicks or what I would consider “cheater” level “street” tires. (Ron runs cheater street tires… they’re basically as good as running slicks, but they have tread and are DOT approved… so they’re legit)

Best 60’s:

Gen 1 L/C: 1.69 60’
Gen 1.5 L/C, Gen 2 L/C, Gen 1 Primetime driver mod: 1.5x 60’

Also note that Ron’s launch technique is rather difficult to duplicate. He’s a master at it. +1 for driver mod

The following applies to all generations of DSG. We do it basically the same on all of them.

TLDR: Those shifts are as intended. The problem he’s having is much more subtle.

No offense taken. Others have called it “granny shifting” and said that he’s coasting for half a second on that run. Neither of those are correct. What you’re hearing and seeing in that run is called amax. It doesn’t shift crisply, because it’s not supposed to. Amax uses both clutches simultaneously and slips between the gears.

A normal shift de-rates the engine by telling the ECU to pull timing. It does this to prevent free-revving and to lower the torque at the clutch to make shifting easier. It has the engine de-rate while it’s opening the first clutch. The engine free-wheels for 50ms or so while the second one is being closed and then the TCU tells the engine to bring back the power. That de-rate timing retard is what causes the DSG “farts” you can hear on videos.

Amax doesn’t work like that. When in this mode, the TCU keeps the beans on the entire time. There is no de-rate at all. It controls the engine RPM by having both clutches engaged in the linear (slip) region together while it transitions between the two. The upshot of this is that there is no de-rate, the engine is making full power the entire time and is transmitting it to the ground even during the shift. The downside is that it’s extremely delicate. If the transition time is too fast, the clutches won’t slip enough, will be working against each other and will rip themselves out of the transmission. On the other side, if the transition time is too slow, the engine will free rev, hit the limiter and de-rate via the rev limiter. It comes back as soon as the clutch closes a bit more and pulls it off the redline, but it still spent some time in de-rate.

That is the problem that prime is talking about when he says he’s having “shifting issues”. If you watch the video VERY closely, you can see it peg the limiter twice during that run. We’ve been dialing the transition length back a couple ms at a time with him. Unfortunately, we’ve not been to the track with him and he doesn’t have internet at the track. So, we have to flash it at his house the night before and only get one try per track day. That’s made it a bit of a slow process finding exactly the right value.

As to what this is or isn’t worth:

During one of our previous track days, we tested Amax vs. non Amax shifting at the drag strip. Amax was consistently good for a tenth. Even if it does drill the limiter occasionally, it still shows significant gains. That’s why it’s on in our production files (only after a launch or a smash/go on Gen 1). We tested, collected the data and enabled it as a result. We could disable it and give crispy shifts (like the car does during normal acceleration with our software) instead. But, the data says this is faster.

The hitting of the limiter results in a de-rate for about 25 ms out of the 50ms transition period (we can see it happen in the logs). That occurs during the absolute center of the shift, when the clutches are both the least engaged and the least amount of power is being transmitted to the wheels. It DOES have a negative affect, but it’s not a very big one. We estimate, at best, that we could translate about 1/10 to 1/5 of that time into E.T. if we can get the transitions all to be perfect. That’s 5ms to 10ms worth of ET pickup (1ms = 1 thousandth)

We’re hoping to go visit Ron in the spring and bring our tools, his car and his driver mod to the track. That should give us the chance to dial it in perfectly and answer once and for all what it’s really worth.

That sounds good… We’ll find out in the spring exactly how much. Based on the data posted above, I don’t see tenths… maybe a hundredth.

Rynurz put up a nice time. But, it’s quite a ways off from Ron’s. Picking up a tenth in drag racing is no small feat.

Agreed. Ron’s in it to win it. He’s also faster with the TCU flash than he was without it. How much is left to be had is anyone’s guess until we go up there.

I don’t see that run posted on either of the prominent sites. Can you link it?

I don’t see it as misleading. I said that nobody else in the top slots is running a Gen 1 car. That’s true: Auditude isn’t, Jones isn’t, Eurocode isn’t, we aren’t. The nearest is rynurz, and he’s over a tenth behind the lead.

None of us know how many pulleys are out there. I have an idea how many are on APR cars, because the people have been PM’ing me to get Prime’s file (which we’re not quite ready to give out). I don’t know how many are on Giac cars (since their Stage 2 seems to run well with both pulleys out of the box).
[/quote]
Thought this was a great post by Sean explaining what is going on and how AMAX works. I think the ET impact is a little greater but they’ve done more testing than I have so hopefully we’ll get a better answer when it’s fixed.

I did want to clarify, and I’ve already emailed Sean, that I have NEVER ran anything but the stock peelers on Dunlops, and the 19 x 8.5 ET 32 BBS CHR’s on Conti DW’s 245 x 35 x 19 with a total weight of 47 lbs that have been on the car since May of 2011. Not sure where Sean got that information but I wanted to address it. I am contemplating 18 inch forged 17lbs wheels but haven’t made a decision. Personally I like 19’s on this car as I think they fit perfectly but I can also run a fatter tire to help offset some.

Pretty convoluted post.

Great is funny when he explains that Apr launch control isn’t used by the fastest car out there (you) by saying you do better with smash and go because of running slicks and effectively lying about it.

Yeah great.

Meanwhile we all know you run Continental dw and that launch control is just shit…nithing to do with Gen 1, slicks or whatever yarn he wants to spin.

Basically he painted himself into a corner by making excuses for their shit tcu tune on your runs. He said early b8 cars can’t handle the tcu tune changes. Then he had to backtrack when it was basically obvious nobody with a 2010-2012 should bother with a TCU tune based on that and launch control not working.

He’s all over the place. If I cared more I’d point out the horrible contradictions but I don’t.

prime, your getting at home flashing? nice deal!

How is it a great post if he actually believe the shift hangups ARE NOT really hurting you? You and many of the guys here are convinced your car has much more than a ‘thousandth’ left it it. I personally think he is a dummy and someone should take his keyboard away…Arin must be on vacation.

Saki, I thought the explanation on AMAX was great and would spurn some discussion over here thus my comment. I also posted to clarify the comments on my tires, since I don’t post over there and wanted to make sure everyone knew I am NOT running anything but 100% street tires of which I’ve stated in every drag race post I’ve made, again not sure where he got that? Haven’t heard back via email yet…

Will13k7, yes they flash me at home… Between the testing of the various dsg tunes and ecu tunes it was necessary. Was a little surprised that came up but it did… Honestly, they(APR and GIAC for that matter) need to consider going this route. Look at the results of the EPL group by of a basically proven slower product, it’s all because people don’t have to pull the ecu or go anywhere to flash.

Euro, Maybe it wasn’t a “great” post but it is a good explanation of what AMAX does and how it works. Figured we’d get some discussion going on it but not sure that’s going to happen… They know the hangups hurt my ET we just disagree to what severity.

If the OEM DSG disengages - retards timing - then engages the second clutch in order to shift, and AMAX maintains both but matches via slipping the clutches, then isn’t AMAX producing more wear on the clutches? Maybe it isn’t too impactful with a wet clutch system, but it seems like this would impact longevity. Any thoughts on this?

Does APR’s TCU tune increase clamping force for higher power applications? I don’t even know if it’s necessary, because I don’t think we’ve heard of anyone having slipping issues, but I’m just curious.

So this still gets me “Everybody in the hunt for the top spots has either slicks or what I would consider “cheater” level “street” tires.”

I believe auditude ran on the same tires as Ron or something similar, a conti all season… I’ve seen Jones car in action and he’s running normal wheels/tires… So what is Sean talking about lol? Seems like all the fastest guys are running normal tires

Is rynurz on slicks? Also does anyone know if rynurz is on production software or is he also beta testing an APR tune?

Dan, Yeah I think you are probably right but to your point maybe it doesn’t impact the clutches because they are wet? For me longevity is not a concern. I rarely drive the car, it has 9,800 miles and is a 2010. If the tranny breaks I’ll but a 2012+ one in so I can launch like the fast cars ;D

Muneeb, Yeah not sure but none of the guys you mentioned run anything but street tires. Ryan is on standard tune and street tires at least last time I talked with him he was… I don’t think APR has sent the dual pulley tune to others yet?

Right on, maybe he’ll chime in to confirm Managed to read all the old threads on here… Just don’t see much info posted by rynurz these days so I wasn’t sure.

Also, no they aren’t releasing the dual pulley tune to others yet… Sean told me they’re close to a passable file through the testing they’ve done on your car. They want to do a few more trials with you and also get some testing done on their dyno presumably with multiple pulley types… I’d love to come out to Thompson when they come up to visit/test with you. Looks like I’ll just have to be patient, they aren’t willing to let me test it quite yet. Hopefully they have something available by the time Milan opens in april

No slicks for me, just some “cheater” Pilot SS.

I do find it kind of shitty for Sean to be bragging about Ron being a tenth ahead of me, without adding some of the differences in our set ups. The way I read his comments, is I suck at drag racing, and our cars are equal. To bad that’s not the case.

1. I am running a standard APR ECU file. (Ron has a custom tune)I have never been given anything from APR other than broken promises.

2. I have stock cats. ( Ron has HFC’s) Now I understand that HFC’s probably don’t do much of anything, but my opinion having run test pipes, It seems to help MPH. Another thing to remember is, if Ron didn’t think they might be helping, they probably would not be on his car.

3. I have a stock size LW crank pulley. (Ron has LW oversize) something to remember that when we were both stock TCU tune and crank pulley, my best was 11.61 (Ron 11.69)

4. I weigh 195. (Ron 165) once again, probably doesn’t make much difference, but then again every little bit helps. Auditude must think so, he has a lightweight driver. :wink:

5. Last but most importantly, I don’t fold in my side mirrors! (Ron does) gotta be a tenth right there, right???

I have been debating on if I will go with JHM’s oversized pulley, or not, but now with Sean’s dumb comments I just might have to show him how easy it is to make up that tenth. Or course, all of this will depend on If I can get the tune to go with it in the spring. Then again, it should be available in say…2 weeks.

Here is a video of my slight hangup:
https://youtu.be/9lfZteRfv1s

And a shot of the log file:

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/jran76/APR%20DSG%20Hangup_zpsuxg0wn1w.jpg

I’ve only seen it on the 2-3 shift pretty consistently, but I haven’t been to the strip yet to see what happens in higher gears.

that looks exactly like slipping clutch to me, not a hangup. Txt book RPM spikes.Could be just me.

Make a video of you flooring it in 6th gear at 30 mph without downshifting (is that possible on these cars?)., That will show you if anything slips. You may need to do it in 5th since it might be the odd number clutch that is beat to shit. (i.e. if the 3rd gear clutch is slipping, that wouldn’t be the same as the 6th gear clutch, right?)

edit it appears to be slipping at high RPMs in 2nd

No, I think you are right. I do think that is what is happening, so maybe “hangup” isn’t the right way to describe it.

That’s basically the explanation your buddy Sean gave about what it does in AMAX mode, and why that slight delay occurs. Per Sean@APR:

[i][b]Amax uses both clutches simultaneously and slips between the gears. A normal shift de-rates the engine by telling the ECU to pull timing. It does this to prevent free-revving and to lower the torque at the clutch to make shifting easier. It has the engine de-rate while it’s opening the first clutch. The engine free-wheels for 50ms or so while the second one is being closed and then the TCU tells the engine to bring back the power. That de-rate timing retard is what causes the DSG “farts” you can hear on videos.

Amax doesn’t work like that. When in this mode, the TCU keeps the beans on the entire time. There is no de-rate at all. It controls the engine RPM by having both clutches engaged in the linear (slip) region together while it transitions between the two. The upshot of this is that there is no de-rate, the engine is making full power the entire time and is transmitting it to the ground even during the shift.[/b][/i]

You think he means it slips like your car does? Because that doesn’t seem like anything planned. That’s pretty random and looks like the clutch is giving up, not deliberately being slipped.

Slipping in a controlled fashion is a technique lots of people use on a launch of a big HP car. Doing it in a sporadic, randomly occurring, spikey fashion is hard to see as being on purpose.

Yes and no. I think it is doing what he is describing, but something with their timing is off (and the end result is not what they were going for).

The one thing I’ll point out (again) is that another local 2012 S4 had the same issue with the APR ECU/DSG tune, but the issue completely went away when he changed to the EPL ECU tune.

I’m actually running into this issue every once in awhile with my GIAC stuff, but only on the 3-4 upshift. My symptoms are slightly different than the above (didn’t want to start a new thread), but it does cost me approx. one tenth in the 1/4mile when it does happen.

With mine:

there is a pause on the 3-4 upshift, like the engine retards timing, and then upshifts harshly. its like how the transmission should be shifting, but in “slow-mo” form if that makes any sense? It goes away after I reset the ECU and cycle between GIAC modes on the handheld switcher, but rears itself every once in awhile after adaptation.