"Custom" elevation tune

So, might be moving to around 7000 ft elevation. Anybody know about tunes and compensating for elevation. Necessary, me7 adaptive enough to account for this? Any way to optimize tune for better performance at elevation? Thanks for any info.

My tune runs quite well I live at 6500ft. It an 034 custom dyno tune. I just get a little less boost and power.

You can contact jared@vlmspec or avalon motor sports they both due high altitude stuff

There’d be no need to change your tune. The manufacturers know there are large elevation differences modern day ecu units compensate for this, you have a mass air meter this is what tells the car how much or how little fuel to add…

Thanks for the replies

You’re JHM Tuned. You will be all set. The JHM B5 tune already has the altitude offsets activated and adjusted. Not only that but you don’t need to loose power as you go up in elevation. You have the ability to adjust the boost to help compensate for the altitude.

If you have any questions let me know.

I will CV, thanks! I don’t want to run the rs6r’s out of efficiency range though.

There is a pretty good range on the RS6r’s but, when you get ready to go out there, let me know. We can look everything over and if you need anything, we can make sure you get it.

Thanks again! I will def send over some info for you to review.

On another note, went to an airstrip roll race event today. Good times. Best 1/2 mile trap that I was told popped up for me was 142 MPH (4th gear) from a 40 MPH start (2nd).

But, I was having noticeable detonation episodes. It was pretty warm but not “hot”, in the 80’s anyway. I was prolly the only one there running pump 91. I kept bumping the boost down but it was still not loving it. I kind of took it easy and held back a bit then just didn’t make a ton of runs. Any other things I can look at on my end to help avoid this in the future? I still want to add w/m injection and call it a day on modifying this car.

Thanks for any help.

W/M will is a great investment. It helps keep EGT’s under control and gives a nice bump in octane to deter knock. It’s a worth while investment even if you don’t care about tuning the car aggressively as it makes the car much safer when beating on her! Lower egts and better knock resistance is always a good thing! You also get the added benefit of flat lined IATs.

Thanks Monty. I will be adding it soon. You have an aem kit, no? How do you like it? Separate res or did you use your washer fluid res?

Also remember seeing you post about some issue with an o-ring on the aem nozzles? I’m a noob on this topic and application so the more info and understanding the better. Thanks

Sorry for the late reply,

Yes I have the AEM kit with the 1 gallon res in the trunk. I posted install pics in my build thread somewhere around page 10-12.

As long as you don’t take the top part of the nozzle apart you won’t have any issues. Just swap the bottom restrictor orifice out for the size you intend to run and you’ll be good. However, if you run a decent amount of meth (50% or more) I do strongly suggest some sort of warning system (mine is my AFR gauge alarm) to let you know if you lean out due to the W/M system malfunctioning. But recent additions in ME7 knock based fueling make W/M much safer to run.

My tune is setup so that my AFR gets richer and richer as more and more knock is detected in order to save the motor in case of some sort of malfuction.

Thanks for the info. I’m seeing significant “knock” and pinging (I am assuming) in ambient temps above 85. A little worried and disappointed really. Hoping w/m will help.

What are the conditions when this knock and pinging is occurring? (besides the temps)

Have you changed anything on your vehicle lately since this issue has started?

You have had this tune for over a year without any issues that I am aware of. Come bring the car down so we can take a look at it!

Let me know,

Jake

Jake, it is only under full throttle and elevated temps. It was happening last summer as well. I just stay out of full throttle pretty much any time its hot out.

I have not changed anything major aside from my exhaust to a “better” recommended system.

I will do what I can to get it to you for a health check before I move. At the very least get you to review some logs you would need to see that all is good.

Sounds good man! If there is an issue I would rather get to the bottom of it before it gets covered up with meth ;D

Let me know!

Agreed! Thanks Jake. I’ll be in touch soon…

Water meth will help… a lot…

Cars at jhm as I write. A little once over health check, tune up (plugs), tune revision (thank you cv and jhm) and yes, w/m injection. No need to worry about nazi carb smog anymore since we are moving out of this state in a few weeks. Pretty stoked to get my car back this afternoon hopefully. Super cool to work me in on weeks notice to get me sorted before heading out!

That said, damn those B7 RS4’s are purdy! Sure would be a nice replacement in a year or so 8)

How many were there? Dan’s blue car that went 10.7, the daytona grey one that went 11.1 (both stage 2) and the black one that went 11.6 (stage 1)? All 3 supercharged.

An imola too