DIY: COMPLETE B6/7 6MT ENGINE PULL GUIDE by JOEY CUCCARO

Here is the DIY that you all have been waiting for. I have taken a lot of time to put together this DIY while I removed the engine on my Avant. You can use this entire DIY to pull the motor or use sections of it to remove certain parts that are also involved with the engine pull.

Please note this DIY is NOT for the faint of heart. It is a very very detailed, tiring, and time consuming process. I highly recommend that you have a few capable hands working with you. If this is the case you should be able to have it pulled in a day, if you work hard. If this is your first time do not be surprised if you cannot fit the engine removal and re-install in a weekend.

This is also a very good time to do maintenance items while you are pulling the motor for whatever reason. We all know the engine bay is cramped and hard to work in sometimes; with the motor out you really have no restrictions or limitations to working. Take advantage and do as much maintenance items as possible. It is also a good time for other modifications.

WHILE THE MOTOR IS OUT, YOU SHOULD CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING:

Maintenance
** Timing Chain Service ( Tensioners, Tensioner Guides, Timing Chains, Adjusters)
** Valve Cover Gaskets
** Serpentine Belt / Idler Pulley / Belt Tensioner
** Spark Plugs
** Coil Packs
** Air Filter
** Oil Change

Modifications
** JHM Headers (Recommend Ceramic Coating or Header Wrap) / Aftermarket Downpipes
** JHM Intake Manifold
** JHM LW Pulley
** Snub Mount
** Upgraded Motor Mounts
** LW Flywheel / Upgraded Clutch JHM Shifter Trio
** JHM Tune
** JHM Intake Spacers

WHAT YOU WILL NEED FOR REINSTALL:

** 2 Jugs of G12 Coolant (1.5 liter)- $25
** 1 Can of Power Steering Fluid (1 liter)- Recommend CHF- $20
** AC Recharge- $100
** Various Hose Clamps (Buy an assorted pack)- $10

Estimate Total Cost of Necessary Parts: $155

EQUIPMENT / TOOL REQUIRED:

Critical Equipment
** Engine Hoist (Must be rated at least 1/2 ton)
** Lift Chains / Securing Hooks
** 4 Jack Stands
** Jack

Tools Necessary
*Not all of these tools are absolutely necessary. For example you will not use every single socket in the 1/4 set, or you might prefer to use a 3/8 set instead of a 1/4.

However, all are good to have and with many options it can make certain tasks easier with the right assortment of tools

** 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 Ratchets
** 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 Socket Sets (Shallow and Deep)
** 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 Breaker Bars (Assorted Lengths for Leverage)
** Assortment of Flat Head Screw Drivers
** Assortment of Philips Screw Drivers
** Angled Pick Set
** TORX Socket Set (T25, T30, T45 mostly used)
** HEX Socket Set (6mm mostly used)
** Ratcheting Wrench Set
** Assorted Wrench Set (Metric)
** Triple Square Set (110 mostly used)
** Hose Clamp Removal Tool (Make things a lot easier)
** Assortment of Pliers (Needle Nose, Channel Locks, Pliers)
** Hammer
** Rubber Mallet
** Pry Bars
** Can of PB Blaster / Spray Lubricant

PHASES / DIFFICULTY / TiIME ESTIMATES

This DIY will be broken out into phases, below is an outline of the phases involved for the motor pull process. I have also rated each phase based on difficulty with a scale of 1-10 (ten begin extremely difficult) with an estimated time of completion.

Note: Time estimation is taking into account on someone who is familiar with working on this section of the car

Phase 1: Bumper Removal
Difficulty: 4
Time: 45 Minutes

Phase 2: Radiator Removal
Difficulty: 5
Time: 1 Hour

Phase 3: Stock Cat-back Removal
Difficulty: 2
Time: 20 Minutes

Phase 4: Engine Bay Plumbing and Component Removal
Difficulty: 6
Time: 1.5 Hours

Phase 5: Engine Electrical Harness Removal
Difficulty: 6
Time: 2 Hours

Phase 6: Dropping the Shifter Box
Difficulty: 3
Time: 45 Minutes

Phase 7: Final Components and Engine Pull
Difficulty: 8
Time: 2-3 Hours

*** SUPPLEMENTALS ***

SUPPLEMENTAL ONE: ECU REMOVAL
[url=http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=2737.msg77114#msg77114]SUPPLEMENTAL TWO: JHM HEADERS

Total Time Estimate: 8-9 Hours

This gives us a realistic time frame of how long it will take to pull the motor first time around, working at a decent pace and taking short breaks. I have done this motor twice now and i can say i would feel comfortable getting it done in about 5-6 hours with capable assistance.

Air Conditioning Discharge / Recharge

The Air Condition lines must be disconnected during this engine pull DIY. It is up to you whether or not you want to have the system discharged professionally; having it done properly will be better for the environment. However, this is totally up to you. an AC discharge should only run about $20. You can also buy a kit to do the discharge it yourself. If wish to do it the lazy way, locate this AC line in the upper passenger side of the engine bay, remove this black cap, stick a pick or a small screw driver down in to vent the freon as shown below.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5571/14950942342_3641bf7061_o.jpg

You will also need a recharge upon completion. Prices vary, but expect to pay around $100 for it.

HELPFUL RECOMMENDATIONS

** Be Patient.
** Don’t rush! It is a long process.
** If you become frustrated, take a break; going too quickly or getting upset will only lead to stuff breaking.
** Ask Questions! If you become stuck or if something is not clear, take the time to ask.
** Have Fun! Enjoy your passion and really learn about your car; working on it is half the love for these cars