DIY Engine drop

I am considering dropping my driveline out to replace my starter.

Is this a realistic endeavour, or should this be left to a shop with a proper hoist.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

Amateur opinion here - Its a cop out answer, but the truth. It all depends on your skill level. If this isn’t your first vehicle you’ve ever worked on and you have a basic set of automotive tools, you can do it in a matter of days. Some would argue a couple hours. The first v10 driveline I dropped took me 2 days on and off. I was fortunate enough to use a lift, which made the separation part easy peasy. Now I can confidently say it would probably take me 3-4 hours doing it again in the same setting. Lots of little hiccups I could avoid the 2nd time around.

A few months back I stopped being a cheap ass and paid $30 for the erWin Audi 1 day subscription, and downloaded every manual possible on the v10. Do that and read up on the engine removal process, it will be so worth the $30 if you put a price on your time. I regret not doing this years earlier.

Hey

Thank you for the reply and yes the manual subscription may be a critical option.
I have done a lot of my own work on this and other vehicles and posses most of the tools

Is an option to separate the engine from the subframe or is better to drop the engine with it?
Local shop is asking about 2500 Canadian plus parts.

I appreciate your thoughts!

Dave

When I dropped mine last year, i removed the subframe completely, but I was using an engine hoist. If you are planning to lower the engine from the body, or lift the body, I think leaving subframe on would be more convinient, but honestly it’s up to your preference. It took me around 8 hours to drop the engine when I put the car on jack stands. Also, I think it would actually be possible to replace the starter without removing the engine completely. I think 10cm down would be enough.

Thank you for this info!
I have those tool and a transmission jack as well.
I agree with the convenience of lowering the whole assembly

Also only having to lower by 10cm would definitely help.

And shout out to 10Banger, I just downloaded all of the Erwin manuals!

Cheers

1 Like

Hi,
if you need to replace the starter motor, I can tell you that I’ve done it one month ago to my S8 D3 without lowering the engine, neither 10 cm.
I can send you some pictures that I’ve taken to the tools setup and passages through the exhaust system, to reach and unscrew the infamous bolt

Hi
Thank you, I would appreciate any photos that would help!

I am hoping to begin working on the car this week.

Thanks
Dave

From my knowledge it is possible on the S8, but not on the S6. Firewall is too close to upper bolt.

Thank you for this info on the difference between the two cars.
I also have headers that are wrapped and cannot allow any access through the tubing.

I am hopeful that everything comes apart.

cheers

Ah! I didn’t know it…
I’m very sad about this

Yeah second on the S6 is going to be harder to get the starter out over the S8. I’d suggest a motor drop. as I’ve not seen the ability to do it otherwise.

Thanks for confirming!
I see an engine drop as a good opportunity to complete some needed work while it’s out.

On my s6, mechanic removed subframe, not shure was also some bolt from engine mounts on block to get access to starter, and starter come out

Hello

I have an update as to my engine drop and starter replacement.
I have removed engine and transmission and removed the starter and have to do some repairs to power supply to the starter solenoid, I plan to install new starter and repaired wire.

I also had to rewrap the headers which was a bonus as the wrap had begun to degrade.

I do have one question regarding the serpentine belt reinstall, I’m looking for the procedure to remount the tensioner and adjust it for proper belt tension.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Install the tensioner with the bolt prior to belt install obviously, hand tighten, then hold tension on it as stated below.

Hi

Thank you for this!
I just got the starter in and going to reassembling the car tmw and Sunday.

Hoping it starts!

Very glad everything came apart easily.

Dave