DIY - How-To: C6 S6 Intake Manifold Removal & Carbon Clean

For some reason the original post on intake removal was messed up so I wanted to copy the data over into a new thread.

If you want a great link on how to do a carbon clean on your v10 look at this thread
http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=4000.0

Here is the step by step on intake removal. Thread originally created by Countvohn posted here for better search results
The full thread on Countvohn and his build can be found here
http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=3951.0

1 Like

This is a novice question, however what should be used to cap the fuel and HPFP points? I’ll probably take a crack at this when I reach 75K miles and am installing the intake spacers.

This is on my TO-DO list for 2018…

I used elastics and the fingers cut off a rubber glove.

Starting from what’s shown/explained above, what else needs to be removed to reseal the valve covers?
Anything else that should be reseal while this is all torn apart? Trying to stay ahead on preventative maintenance…

coils will have to be removed and I had to move the power steering reservoir… and unplug the cam sensors… that was the hardest thing to get the valve covers in and out.

also good to have a mini ratchet like this for the back bolts : http://www.whiterosetools.com/Faithfull-FAISBMINIRAT

Mods can you permanently pin this thread at the top?
The info here will help all members with this platform new and old.

Just did carbon clean and replaced injectors. 2007 S6.
Atleast for me these tips worked:

1. leave all intake plugs plugged in. Just remove 2 bolts that hold connector bracket. Also I removed position sensors. Easier to access those two bolts than plugs :slight_smile:

2. to turn engine, I removed bumber and one black link next to alternator which was held by 2 easy access bolts (t30). Then I was able to get 24mm socket and ratchet to alternator nut. Required some thinking and curse words to work it past the radioator fan. But very doable and saved a lot of time.

Someone has been there before me so my car might not have all intake plug holders in place and thats why 1. worked for me ::slight_smile:

Still cant edit.

NOTE: You need to remove flap motor plugs.

What did you do to make sure I take valves were closed? Eyeball it, or look at a timing mark?

Eyeball first, then sprayed starter fluid and see if it pools or leaks to cylinder.

Engine seems to have 8 cylinders with intake valves closed at same time so if first cylinder that you look has intake valves open, check rest before cranking engine for no reason and do those first, then come back to first cylinder.
Saves from unnessecary work turning the engine

One thing that is a great idea to replace is the oil housing 0-rings. They commonly leak, it is easy to do (remove 3 bolts, take housing off, replace 0-rings, re-install housing and torque bolts), and you might as well since you have the intake off.

I didn’t see any torque specs in this guide so here are some for the intake manifold.
This is from the Audi workshop manual.
File: A005A603420-Direct_petrol_injection_and_ignition_system_(10-cyl__5_2_ltr__4-valve).pdf

Bolt:
❑ Renew
❑ Tighten initially to 8 Nm
❑ Subsequently tighten to 9 Nm and then tighten 90° further

Tighten in pattern below.

https://d2aztkdj0ezvrk.cloudfront.net/items/1O2z212r0u241C181V2K/Skærmbillede%202019-07-14%20kl.%2016.28.02.png

Does someone have the pictures with each step?

Most of the images on this original thread appear to have been hosted on this domain so I would think they would be fairly easy to retrieve unless there was some type of data loss as I’m not entirely sure what happened in the first place. I tried to pull up the images using the wayback machine but only 2 of them seemed to be cached. I wholeheartedly agree with some of the other comments and feel that the pictures included on this original thread are invaluable. I am a software developer by day and would love to help in any way I could if that was an option. I’m not sure who runs the site but feel free to PM me if there was anything I could do to help bring back some of the missing content.

1 Like

I PMd the OP to see if he can post them