Dragstrip tips - got any advice?

thanks for the info, I’m really dying to get out there and see what I can do with my exhaust and JHM tune. I haven’t gone because the 1/4 miles strips are all outside of the DFW area. The closest strip is an 1/8th mile and I just really have no desire to go there.

• Turn off ESP
  • Bring a saki or similar (truly helps being with someone you know who has been to the strip before)
  • If it’s your first time or you need a refresher, tell the marshals and ask about local etiquette
  • Go chat to some of the domestic guys - if anything it gave me an appreciation on how much work it takes to get a 10/11 second car. And how cheap they have it lol.
  • S4 V8 drivers - bring a helmet because if you run the thing stock on a good DA day, you should be hitting 13.99 or lower which NHRA rules require a “DOT” approved helmet (which included a Canadian Tire motorcycle helmet). It would have sucked big time if I had to stop racing when I ran 13.84.
  • You’re interested in ET so don’t worry too much about your reaction time and trying to light shit up as soon as the go light is on.

let me ask this for they guys with 6mt and JHM LA. When you get to your “shallow staging” how do you guys prepare to slam on the gas to get to 5500 rpm? Do you heel your brake and then slam on the gas when the lights start going off or just take your foot off the brake and get ready to push the gas?

You can use your ebrake to hold you in place while you prepare to launch.

Great thread Saki. I’m definitely hitting up the strip a few times this year and this will be a helpful checklist.

read bangoman’s post - don’t worry about reacting to the lights. If you do, you’ll be too busy being a bracket racing star, and will fuck up your run.

I often go a full second or two after green. I really don’t care. The clocks don’t start till you pass that second beam with the back of your front tires. There are two times measured…your reaction time, and your elapsed time to run the quarter mile. The reaction time has nothing to do with ET, and when we talk quarter mile times, we ALWAYS talk elapsed time. ET. The reaction time or RT is only relevant when you’re in a bracket racing competition where you have to beat the guy beside you. THey add your ET to your RT (RT+ET) and the lowest overall is the winner…but that’s irrelevant for everyone who is reading this thread lol.

As for what to do with LA…I just sit there idling waiting as the lights start getting ready to go, I prepare to engage LA, then once i hit 5500 and hold for a quarter-half second, I go.

As for the e-brake, I wouldn’t bother. No need…the track is dead flat at the starting area to allow you to stage perfectly.

updated with some of bangoman’s additions

Anyone else with any advice, it is always appreciated.

So there is much more then just good power shifting skills to get good times ;D

I plan on getting my charger installed in LA then finding the closest strip for some runs but this may not be until mid Dec! Based on your post Saki it would be very optimistic of me to get any good runs in, especially if im alone. The reason why I want to get it right there in LA before driving back is that the DA in SLC is brutal, 4400ft elevation!

Can we have this moved to the 1/4 mile section? ;D

No, it is only for the S4/RS4 guys…lol

Can we have this moved to the 1/4 mile section? ;D

No, it is only for the S4/RS4 guys…lol

bumping this up…would also like to see this in the 1/4 mile section, and stickied.

bumping this up…would also like to see this in the 1/4 mile section, and stickied.

I’m going to weigh my car, either at a local dump or at a CAT Scale at a truck stop. With everything including the OEM wheels, full interior, and spare tire in it. Brim the tank then weigh. Easiest to keep weight of gas constant that way. No passengers obviously.

Then as time goes by and I’ve done this and that weight reducing measures I’ll weigh again.

Perhaps it will be possible to equate weight reduction to dragstrip results over time. Just an idea.

that has been done. You can bank on picking up about 1 tenth of ET for every 100 lbs reduced on these cars. So there you go, you don’t need to now.

Is it also one tenth for 10 pounds of rotating mass reduction?

I put 15mm spacers on all 4 corners - so I just killed a decent chunk of hp didn’t I?

maybe 30 lbs of rotating…

15mm spacers? Those things weigh the same as lint.

I’m going to weigh my car, either at a local dump or at a CAT Scale at a truck stop. With everything including the OEM wheels, full interior, and spare tire in it. Brim the tank then weigh. Easiest to keep weight of gas constant that way. No passengers obviously.

Then as time goes by and I’ve done this and that weight reducing measures I’ll weigh again.

Perhaps it will be possible to equate weight reduction to dragstrip results over time. Just an idea.

that has been done. You can bank on picking up about 1 tenth of ET for every 100 lbs reduced on these cars. So there you go, you don’t need to now.