Dual Pulley (DA +2872ft / 89-93F) results --> 11.490@118.98mph

Hi all,

Just thought I’d share my results from tonights Street Heat event at Bradenton Motorsports. Showers in the area, which resulted in high humidity, low barometric pressures, and generally higher temperatures around 8pm. I only ran twice, as it eventually rained out within an hour and a half being there.

The density altitude was 2872 feet in effective elevation, the national weather service says 89F, but my car temp gauge said 93F, and IIRC weather.com says 91F, so I’m not sure which one is 100% accurate based on my actual location. My mods are the same as before aside from finally upgrading my S/C cooling system:

GIAC stage II RACE file
GIAC TCU
AWE-tuning s/c pulley
JHM O/D pulley
Chipwerke Pro set to 3-1
AWE coldfront w/ upgraded pump
034Motorsports intake tube
aFe filter
2.5" drilled airbox
exhaust x-pipe

My fuel was 1/2 tank of my usual 93/e85 mix. Tire pressures were 39f/38r on Michelin PSS, spare/jack all intact in the car, so essentially no weight reduction. I did NOT utilize launch control, but used “primetimes’” method. I also have a larger custom crank pulley on order waiting for its arrival and installation, hopefully I can reach my goal once FL weather sees high 50’s/low 60’s this fall before installing that larger custom crank pulley.

Breakdown of my timeslip:
reaction .151
60ft 1.627
330ft 4.749
1/8mile 7.355
mph 94.47
1000ft 9.594
1/4mile 11.490
mph 118.98

With my current set-up, it looks like I may be able to run 10.9x-11.0x based on online calculators in “perfect” conditions and considering being able to run full advance in lower D/A’s. As such, I’m VERY VERY VERY happy with this time considering it was done in 2872 ft. density altitudes in temps between 89-93F (typical FL summer day, with high humidity). I’m also excited that I finally solved all of my WOT upshift issues, previously it would pause/hang for a split second on the 3-4 upshift with the Chipwerke set to 4-1 (up to .16 seconds recorded on logs on my 11.2xx second runs), I have dialed it down to 3-1 and now the hang-up hardly exists in logs.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/06042016_E38_97octane_RACE.JPG

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/density_altitude.JPG

Solid run! Especially in DA. That chipwerks mod sounds effective. I am still in amazement but your build, very simple only putting parts on that give the most results. If you can run 10.9 in this that is one testament to this motor. Why go with a 4.0t at this point :-). Congrats hope to see you dip into the 10s.

How does is drive on the street btw, that’s most important to many people

good to see more solid results.

With the shift hangup issue what would changing the CW settings do to help the shifting hang up. It sounds nice to fix it but it would almost be more helpul to know why it helped.

any reasoning that I have is purely speculation. On the 3-1 setting, the variance that it tricks the ECU isn’t as aggressive, however it’s enough to clamp the by-pass valve mostly shut, and the less aggressive variance will allow for a smoother transition in terms of ignition timing value’s post-shift. My correction value’s are closer to -2 degrees post-shift, where as on the 4-1 setting, I would see -4 degrees post-shift. It’s not “perfect” by any means, however it’s minimal enough to not be shown as a shift hang-up in the logs; I no longer see a value at 6,990rpm, and a second later on the next data set 6,999rpm. Instead the value’s are more like 6,999rpm, then 5,000rpm on the next data set (for example).

vtgt, it drives like a pushier/torquier stage II car, no hiccup’s with OEM in terms of drivability and refinement. The only difference to queue that it’s modded is an slightly S/C whine at about 50-60% throttle, however it’s not noticeable or hardly noticeable after or before that.

wow, no weight reduction too.

dual pulley is the new stage3.

the next window of great DAs is going to be exciting (especially if the tuners are ready).

Lol stage 3 is dead

It really seems to be. This blower is kinda at the end of its legs but its still putting out a great amount of CFM. If you can keep teh charge cool enough its only helping.

Think about it if the blower is putting out say 18lbs of boost in the system your going to need to find a blower that can exceed that by at least 5lbs of boost and not cost a huge amount of HP to drive. just putting a bigger blower on isnt the answer if that bigger blower takes too much hp to drive and cant produce big boost pressure without overheating the system.

definitely the case with a small 3.0 V6 (the 4.2 cars handle the bigger blower very well and produce great results)

FWIW, the closest comparable car was running dual-pulley + full E85 in approx + dedicated tune file in 3,000 D/A’s running 11.8x@115mph. I’m quite happy with my time, even considering I ran in the right lane where the E.T.'s historically have been .05-.08 seconds slower…

Interesting that a stacked set-up on GIAC or APR is the way to do with dual-pulley and NOT a dedicated tune file thus far.

agreed, so far the TVS1320 is a good match. We just need substantially better cooling systems/techniques (nothing to take away from our current methods).