Dual Pulley (DA + 662 ft) results --> 11.240@122.44mph

Hi all,

I managed to get to the track for their test-n-tune this morning around 10am. Weather conditions were nice, and I started at approx 10:15 am and ran only for a 1 1/2hr or so. Track prep was so-so even though there was an event, I managed to spin my first run (12.9@117.xxmph), so I decided against using LC.

Weather conditions: 71F / humidity 28% / pressure 30.16Hg when I started. Track elevation approx. 50 ft. Effective density altitude is 662 feet, and went up to 797 feet by the time I left as temps rose.

Mods are:

Mods:
GIAC Stage II ECU (version 2, RACE file)
GIAC TCU file
AWE-tuning pulley
JHM Overdrive crank pulley
Chipwerke Pro (4-1 setting)
aFe Pro 5r air filter
034Motorsports TBB
Airbox box
X-pipe mod

Wheels/tires: Stock OEM 19" rotor wheels (S5), 255/35/19 PSS set to 39f/38r.

Fuel: 1/2 tank of my usual 93/E85 mix

Weight reduction = none (I forgot to remove my spare tire/jack prior to leaving and I didn’t want it sitting at the track unattended)

I set my Chipwerke Pro to 4-1 (dialed it down from 5-1), which helped my shift issues on the 2-3, but the 3-4 still is not 100% smooth, almost like the transmission pauses before it decides to upshift on each of my runs (it was a symptom prior to installing the CW, so I’m not placing blame on that). My runs in the below pictures are slowest to quickest, here are the results from my quickest run:

R/T .266
60’ 1.610
330’ 4.659
1/8 7.210
MPH 97.19
1000’ 9.396
1/4 11.240
MPH 122.44

The launch for the two quickest times was using a two-foot technique. It’s hard to describe, but when you are at the christmas tree, you hit the brake (DSC fully off, dynamic mode, D/S mode on the tranny), and when the lights signal you to go, you stab the gas WOT as you quickly (but not immediately) let off the brake. The results were revs jumping up to 4,500 rpm as the car accelerates, which is different than using Launch Control where the car stands still at 4,500 rpm and then accelerates when you release the brake.

Some notes:

My IAT’s on my slowest run in the picture (and last run, and when I decided to use Launch Control again) started at 52C because of long lines and improper cooling prior to that run, and reached 84C (183F!) by the end of my run, which is why the trap and MPH is low compared to my other two runs despite a 60ft time of 1.584 (<—I take back what I said about PSS not having good accelerative grip!). In theory, that run may have landed me 11.0-11.1x@123-124 mph! Darn! I did not log the two quicker runs, however my VDCS was on and the IAT’s ranged from 30C - 70C by the end.

As such, I’m happy with the results, and I can’t wait until the fall when I have at least some form of S/C cooling to keep IAT’s at bay and DA’s closer to 300 feet, and maybe run less fuel as well as removing the spare/jack.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/04092016_Dual_Pulley_E38_97octane_RACE.JPG

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/audi_S5_number33.JPG

remarkable! - hope the CW/Stg2+ combo isn’t pushing the limits too much but the results can’t be denied :slight_smile:

wow…you just raped the previous record

Imagine if you had a full modlist like some of the other top cars? i.e. properly light wheels, rotors etc. Pretty awesome stuff.

…and without proper cooling, and not even running race gas lol. Not sure how it’s even possible, and Bradenton Motorsports isn’t known to be a record placing track either. There is room for improvements too… You’d be surprised to find that my knock correction is 0 throughout the majority of that high IAT run, only hitting -4.75 after an upshift quickly swinging it back down to 0. By-pass only opens .8% a few times, otherwise remained at 0.

Hoping I can still pull that 1.58 in the fall/winter and control my IAT’s better for more power with my upcoming AWE coolant reservoir to divorce the system.

Ron, lets see you break the 1.58 60ft man! Can’t wait until you get to the track!

Cobrario, I don’t think I’m at the limits just yet (still feel its a safe set-up thus far, but I’m not going to advertise it as many have reserves on it still). There maybe a new overdrive crank pulley that I do want to try (S4matty on AZ is making them) that goes an extra 1.5 psi above the current dual-pulley set-up. Supplies are limited though, but I may venture into it when the fall gets here.

These are really great times. It sucks you had to add the CW device to get this to work but your results have paid off.

Any thoughts on contacting giac and asking if they can update your file so you don’t need the CW device. I would think giac would love to work with you considering how well your car is doing.

I did send Alex@GIAC an email this morning with my logs and results and looking at the possibility of working with me to create a proper file. We will see, but the last time I inquired I simply got a “there may be in possibly in the works for the B8.5” instead of yes, we will work with you on one.

I have a educated inclination that GIAC no longer has their own B8 to test on.

So I imagine they are hesistent relying on customer cars.

Sad news if true :-\

they are currently focusing their interested on getting product release out for newer platforms, and then possibly work on my request. Not holding my breath or counting my chickens until they hatch, especially since the B9 S4 is following the A4 soon, which means they will be focusing on that platform first.

With that being said, at the moment I don’t feel like I need a dedicated file as the integration of the Chipwerke Pro along side the production verion 2 GIAC file in its lowest manipulation setting is surprisingly very refined in nature to fool you into thinking its simply another GIAC stage II file, only with more thrust everywhere in the powerband.

I will more than likely consider APR’s dual-pulley file if primetime does his normal thing and product record times (which I’m confident he will continue to pursue as his upshift issues are resolved). I have an APR dealer about 37 miles away, but I’ve met a few of the techs at test-n-tune and they are very easy going with modifications.

I’ve been very persistent with them about testing the file they made for Ron. They really don’t have an interest in anyone else running it right now… I pushed hard to get the file flashed when they make my dsg tune next friday, hoping they let me

I might try the chipwerke also if they don’t come out with anything soon though…

if you do, I’m sure the results would be similar as mine or better as I feel APR’s TCU tune is superior with a functioning AMAX mode. Plus, if they eventually come in after you installed and tested the CW, they still go for $325-$350 on the used market so you’re really losing only like $75 in the end, something to think about ;D

Wow

Good stuff! Nice to see its a nice looking S5 rather than those boring b8 s4s :wink: /troll

FWIW, my results last night:

I knew I wasn’t going to be beating my previous times, but went anyways at the last minute

conditions:
Track Elevation 50F
Temp 75F
Pressure 29.97
Humidity 84%
Density Altitude 1357 feet

Unfortunately did not get to log at all tonight. But I can tell my car is down on power in the top-end with either IAT’s or just the humidity sapping power, my 1/8-1/4 MPH delta isn’t as strong as it was running in 662ft DA’s, but good results nonetheless!

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/04142016_Dual_Pulley_E38_97octane_RACE.JPG

So did you cancel your BMW orders yet :wink:

Man ya tempting to just buy one of these and replicate your exact mods, very impressive what are you at all in out of curiosity seriously quick. Also on 93 octane we talking like 11.5ish?

Yeah, cancelled the M4 order near the end of last year and not regretting it one bit. I’ll be keeping the S5 at least through 2018. I’m enjoying the set-up too much to even consider another car at the moment; If I can truly hit a 10.9x-11.0x with another 2mph in traps, I may just keep it longer until any DSG symptoms appear (may not on the gen DSG, but there aren’t many high mileage ones yet), then trade it in for a B9 S5 or RS5, depending on when I decide to swap.

I would like to know the 93 octane results as well to compare with other set-ups running a dedicated flash-file, I have never logged on a pump 93 file with my set-up yet, but I may eventually out of curiosity. If the logs look similar to the race (near zero timing corrections, etc etc…), I can’t imagine 11.5.xx-11.6.xx@118.xxmph would be out of the question, especially here in the fall/winter/spring months of FL at 25-50ft above sea level. Maybe i’ll try it this winter to see if I can set an example? :wink: