Exhaust flex pipe leaks?

exhaust is getting very loud. used to get quieter as engine warmed up. I believe the flex pipes are the typical culprit and replacement requires an engine drop.

can someone confirm the above. also, do I need p/n’s 4F0-253-154 and 4F0-253-153 for this?

and, if it is only the flex pipe, wondering why I can’t just weld in a new section?

I see flex pipes are available from a wide variety of places, including Summit. that should work just as well at a fraction of the price, no? anyone try it?

Just had this done a couple of weeks ago at a local exhaust repair garage (here in UK) as it failed it’s annual emissions. Not the easiest for access but they managed to replace them at same time as lots of corroded nuts and studs. So it can be done.

I also had mine repaired about 1 1/2 yrs ago, it seems to be holding up. i don’t think mine came as nice as Fakie1977’s. I had it done through my trusted indy, who didn’t weld any more, so he sent it to an exhaust shop he works with. Very disappointed in the work, they cut my JHM exhaust on one side to make the repair. Needless to say, I was NOT impressed.

Thanks, guys, very helpful!

Can you confirm that an engine drop is necessary for this repair? Also, do you recall the sizes of the flex pipes needed for the repair?

First 3 places I took it to said the engine needed to be dropped and basically didn’t want to do the work or charge silly money. Was giving up hope until I took it to these guys. Didn’t need to drop the engine. One side is easy enough to get to the nuts. The other side is right up near the engine and the worry was they wouldn’t be able to do that. Not sure how but they got enough extension tools and access in there to undo it (or at least break them off since they were renewing all the studs and nuts anyway). It was a 2 day job but still about a quarter of cost of the engine drop option.

Sorry don’t know the size but it wasn’t a direct replacement as the new ones are a little longer but also more layers so they should outlast the rest of the exhaust now. Or at least until I get bored and decide to get rid of it.

Good feedback. Thanks again. This type of info is what makes this site #1 for all things C6/S6.

Just in to second. As clearly shown by fakie you don’t need to drop the motor. But you do need to make sure you have some one that knows what they are doing. Dropping the rear sub frame and then the transmission mount makes this easier.

Justin, I’m not sure I can be qualified as someone that knows what they’re doing, but I do want to try this. I have a two post lift so it makes it more achievable. I’ve done engine drops on other cars.

If I lower the back of the engine and trans like you describe, I assume I’m not putting any strain on any plumbing or electrical? Do I just need an inch or two?

…also, Justin, I believe you live near me (I’m in Rochester) so you could always come by and supervise!