First issue with my 2013 RS5

Got this loud beep and icon that said I had problem with my left low beam. Sure enough, left low beam was not working when I came out and looked. I think it did come back on and work for a few minutes then went back off which was followed by the dash warning.
Any suggestions on types of bulbs, and if I should replace both? Any ideas or input will be appreciated.
Thanks guys
Vance (Yoda1) on other forum.

I just replaced mine in my 2014 Rs5. It was a D3S bulb. I ended up getting this. Came back to life like it should. If yours is going on and off, make sure the connections are all clipped properly. All it takes is a little separation to ruin your day.

Thanks for the suggestions and I’ll definitely check the connection. Did you do one or both? I read a few reviews from you’re link and one of the reviewers said it was yellow compared to his OEM Escalade’s when he changed one.

I did both mine as the other might not be as bright or the colour will be different and the other one might go out anyway ,they are D3S bulbs 35w there are loads of different ones but i stuck to the originals

I only did the driver side. The color came out fine. Stock color is 4300k, so there is a ever so slight yellow to it. 5000k-5800k will give you a white color. 6000 will give you blueish. Any higher is really more for color.

This is confusing. Checked and no wiring loose i could find. Now the light works for the first few minutes then comes of. Could it be a ballast?

Did a search and it seems that it could be either bulb or ballast. I’ll switch bulbs from left to right when I get around to it.

Makes sense.

How did you go ? I had the same issue in an Audi A1 and the blast fixed it but in my mates RS4 2013 replacing the ballast fixed the issue for 5 minutes then failed. I’m about to replace the bulb and another ballast to see if that’s the final solution.

I ordered bulbs. Still waiting on the GT Ultra Xenon from PowerBulbs. Looks like the best value but not sure how they compare to stock yet.
I’ll do a comparison test vs stock but I’ll most likely replace both after test.

If the new bulb do not fix the issue then I’ll change the ballast. I definitely check connections and wiring when I change bulb.

Got the bulbs! Took a minute because it came from England. As promised, I did a comparison and only installed one on the blown side.

The bulb did fix the problem and as of now, it was a bad bulb.

My observations:
New bulb is waaay brighter than the 2013 stock Phillips.
Although the new bulb is rated at 4300k, it cast a yellow gold tint on the highlights which I do not care for so it is yellower then the stock. For now at least its brighter. Feels like twice as bright.
I’ll install the other side this weekend.

1 Like