Front strut mount replacement, 034 Motorsports Density Line

Note: Upgrade these if you’re going with coilovers. Makes WAY more sense to do it once when the OEM suspension is out.

I get a lot of creaking from the front suspension over big bumps and I’m thinking it’s coming from the OEM upper front strut mount to spring contact. I had the wild idea to replace them with the 034 Motorsports density line front strut mounts which are stiffer than OEM and should hold up better long-term since I’m running a coil over kit with firmer springs.
https://store.034motorsport.com/strut-mount-front-density-line-b8-audi-a4-s4-a5-s5-rs5-q5.html

I’ve been reading through this excellent ECS guide on how to install coilovers on the B8.5 chassis which can be found here in PDF format;
http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3e01bf511d4da3315c66902d6.r6.cf1.rackcdn.com/B8A4_Coilovers_horizontal.pdf

Now with that said…I’m wondering if I can shortcut this. Why? I have to replace at least ten types of bolts and nuts as they’re all stretch. Here’s a list with the number needed of each;
Strut Nut (2) N 10106402 (For Audi struts)
Cage to chassis Bolts (4 per side, 8 total) N 91152301
Tie rod end nut (2) WHT004593
Upper Control arms to knuckle bolt (2) N10770901 or WHT007963
Upper Control arms to knuckle nut (2) N 10272302
Lower Control arm inner bolt (2) WHT001949
Lower Control Arm inner nut (2) WHT001987
Strut fork to lower control arm bolt (2) N 10241202
Strut fork to lower control arm nut (2) WHT003684
Strut fork pinch bolt (2) N 10421304
Strut fork pinch bolt nut (2) N 10106402
(2)Stabilizer link bolts p/n N10699601
(2) Self-locking nuts for stabilizer end link bolts p/n N10286110

Edit: Updated again with all the part numbers.

Anyway…because the Bilsteins have an adjustable lower perch, I’m thinking I can loosen spring tension enough and I won’t have to fully remove the entire shock/spring/upper mount assembly from the car and take everything apart to replace it. It does look like it’s difficult to get the strut mount off the bracket from what I’ve read. So not sure I’d have enough room to get in there and pry it out or enough leverage to get the new piece in.

So…if I do need to remove the entire assembly, is it really necessary to remove the inboard bolt and disconnect the lower control arm as well as separate the tie rod ball joint? Or could I compress the damper enough to slide the fork lower mount over the top of the lower control arm without removing said arm? Or does the tie rod just get in the way? If it is possible, I could then use a bracket spreader on the fork lower mount and slide it off. Might give me more room to maneuver everything out.

Possible or will I be relegated to doing it by the book?

I do plan on lubing everything necessary while I’m in there.

Edited…added pertinent info to the initial post.

How many miiles have you put on your car since installed Bilsteins?

My left front corner gets occasional creak as well usually when im turning through a dip. I thought it may be the end links with premature wear? But I’m not certain

The Bilstein kit now has about 35K on them. I actually have new ECS end links that’ll go on at the same time while I’m “in there”. It’s definitely something to do with the rubber top strut mount as I sprayed a bit of lube up there and it went away temporarily.

It’s always really big stuff at low speed that causes it. And it’s pretty loud, easily heard inside the cabin.

I’ve got an updated list of nuts/bolts with the Audi part number. ECS Tuning has pretty much everything.
Strut Nut (2) N 10106402 (For Audi struts)
Cage to chassis Bolts (4 per side, 8 total) N 91152301
Tie rod end nut (2) WHT004593
Upper Control arms to knuckle bolt (2) N10770901 or WHT007963
Upper Control arms to knuckle nut (2) N 10272302
Lower Control arm inner bolt (2) WHT001949
Lower Control Arm inner nut (2) WHT001987
Strut fork to lower control arm bolt (2) N 10241202
Strut fork to lower control arm nut (2) WHT003684
Strut fork pinch bolt (2) N 10421304
Strut fork pinch bolt nut (2) N 10106402
(2)Stabilizer link bolts p/n N10699601
(2) Self-locking nuts for stabilizer end link bolts p/n N10286110

New parts waiting to go on!

I installed rear subframe bushings last weekend and will do differential inserts and a tranny insert this weekend.

Every nut/bolt in this diagram needs to be replaced when servicing the front dampers. It’s about $65 worth of parts.

Looks great. Really neat overview. Should be helpful to many others.

Hopefully! I’ll be diving into the rest of the suspension here possibly as early as this weekend after I get back from a trip. BUT, I’m now contemplating replacing both lower control arms with 034 Motorsports density line arms and I’d want to do everything at one time.

Nice! Curious to hear the difference from before to after

Haven’t updated this post in a while. I’ve been waiting for a few parts as I determined I had one bad bushing in the upper control arms. Looks like it’s actually the wrong bushing and probably wasn’t torqued down at ride height. So I ended up ordering a new bushing and the related one nut/bolt.

I had been considering swapping out all the bushings for polyurethane bushings but ultimately decided against it. I did order the 034 rear sway bar end links so I’d have beefier links front and rear. Targeting installation of everything either this Monday or possibly next.

I’ll do the lower control arms in the future. Right now, honestly, I don’t see much need. Pretty content with the handling overall until I’m able to get better tires on the car.

So the short version of the story is the squeak was caused by a bushing, as I figured. What I didn’t realize is that the bushing was polyurethane, most likely a Powerflex race (black) bushing. If you like squeaks, by all means, go with poly bushings.

Anyway…moving on.

I knew today would be painful. My plan was to yank both front suspension assemblies, replace the top rubber mounts, one control arm bushing and the front sway bar end links.

Going in, 034 Motorsports Density Line upper shock mounts, an OEM style heavy duty bushing and ECS Tuning front sway bar end links.

For bushing removal, you’ll need a push/pull kit. I purchased this one off of eBay for less than $100. The bearings that come with it suck and will break after your first use but you can get by without them.

Ready for battle.

I started by taping off the line for the center cap and the top of the rotors. I could use this to “load” the suspension with the jack and tighten various nuts/bolts to spec.

I also have a set of race ramps which allow me to have the suspension loaded with the tires on. These are super light. Best way I can describe them is they feel like styrofoam but they have the ability to support 1500 lbs. each. They weigh about a pound. Cool stuff

I used the most excellent ECS Tuning guide to installing coilovers as it had all the torque specs and the steps are spot on. You can download the PDF off of the ECS website.

I jacked the car up and removed both front wheels. No need to have the car with the suspension loaded just yet. I covered the ceramic rotor with a towel, just in case. I then took a measurement of the spring perch height and came out to 5omm. The passenger’s side came in at about 53mm but I changed it to 50. I took the measurement because I’ll be loosening the bottom spring perch to relieve spring tension and allow me to remove the top mount.

I released the spring tension with the assembly still in the car but for the other side, I did it with the assembly out of the car. Per James’ suggestion, I have a screwdriver with a cut-off tip that I use to adjust it. But I also picked up a Bilstein wrench just to have it.

I purchased a schwaben ball joint breaker tool and it made removing the tie rod end super easy. Took like a minute and came apart without drama and no damaged dust boots. Highly recommended.

I did have to remove the lower strut mount fork. I couldn’t figure out an easy way to get it out with it still on the bottom of the damper. It actually saves quite a bit of time removing it as the shock tower to chassis brace and the damper come right out, easy as pie. I could have saved myself a good 30 minutes if I’d removed it from the start. Be sure to purchase the spreader bit off of the ECS website. It ensures you don’t damage the lower mount and allows for easy removal of the damper from the lower fork mount.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cta-tools-parts/vw-audi-strut-nut-socket/cta4005~cta/

Once out, the arm with the “bad” bushing rotated freely whereas the OEM rubber style mount had a very limited range. I took off the arm that needed the bushing replaced and then used my bushing removal kit. Found the right press out size and assembled everything. There’s one cup that matches the outer size of the bushing shell and another, larger cup that the bushing gets pressed into. Both have slots so you can see your progress.

Assembled and ready to be pressed out.

And it’s out! It literally took 10 seconds and came out very, very easily. I was expecting a struggle but it didn’t happen. I did grease everything in the assembly to remove any friction.

So I didn’t see this coming…Once i got the offending bushing off, I realized it was a poly bushing, most likely a Powerflex black race bushing. It was a bit wide for the space it’s designed to fit into and I could see the end of the polyurethane had deformed a bit. Here it is next to the new OEM-style bushing.

I put the new bushing in the freezer for a bit and used synthetic grease on the inside of the control arm. Made putting the new bushing in just as easy as removing the old. You can put the new bushing/arm on the upper mount and torque to spec out of the car. Just line it up with the other arm. The reason why they say to do it at ride height is the rubber only has so much rotational movement. By positioning the arm appropriately, you’re achieving the same thing.

At this point, having nothing go wrong, I was practically laughing out loud at how easy everything was. Then I tried to remove the top nut on the damper. Huge PITA. I did have the Schwaben tool specifically for this but it was still difficult.

OEM rubber mount on top, the 034 density line on the bottom. The original mounts showed wear. If you’re going to swap springs or go with coil overs, definitely get these top mounts.

I cleaned and reassembled the damper and top mount assembly and got everything back in fairly easily. It’s a bit of a struggle to get the strut/top mount up and in and then get one of the mount to chassis bolts threaded. Just takes a bit of muscle but easily doable by yourself.

I adjusted the ECS end links to OEM length and installed them per their instructions. I will say this…the top bolt is a huge, huge, HUGE pain to get in. I was cursing and I must have struggled for a good hour. I found that it would go in and then wouldn’t turn by hand. I figured i was cross threading it. Not the case. Once you get to that point, put a 17mm shorty on it and twist away. Goes right in at that point so mark it down as being deceptive.

I moved on to the passenger’s side and it went more quickly as I didn’t stop to take photos and I’d taken my time on the driver’s side. With the knowledge from the first ECS end link, the second one went in much easier. I did run into one snafu, the starter threads on the top of the Bilstein damper were tweaked. Couldn’t get a nut on it. I also couldn’t find my master thread repair kit and tried to use small files to repair the threads to no avail. So I ended up using a high speed cutoff wheel to grind a few threads off. Problem solved.

For the final step, adjusting the end links, I put the car up on the race ramps. I adjusted them for no load and finished buttoning everything up.

All told it took me a whopping 7 hours. To make matters worse, I discovered that the passenger side had one poly bushing too. Wasn’t obvious as it was even in the bore unlike the other which stuck out like a sore thumb. I’d only ordered one bushing and one nut/bolt for the driver’s control arm so I cleaned and lubed it with Krytox. Next time I have any work to do on the suspension, I’ll take care of the other bushing. I could probably do each side in less than two hours now. But I can think of better ways to spend a Sunday.

Awesome right up Ape!

I liked your bilstein wrench hack with the screwdriver…those suspensions wrenches are shit! I’ve skinned my knuckles multiple times from them slipping

Yeah the Bilstein (or any other C-spanner for that matter) are a pain. Wasn’t my idea to take the tip off a screwdriver though. Another forum member on Audizine suggested it. Went to Harbor freight and bought a “lot” and two of them actually worked. Fits like a glove in the Bilstein collar holes.

Took the car out today for the first time and the suspension was dead silent. Was a nice change. I’ve managed to eliminate every squeak and rattle now, except for a pop I get from the sunroof when I start up my driveway. It’s steep.