Fuel smell after manifold replacement

I recently replaced my intake manifold (such a difference) and after putting it all back together, I have a fuel smell after driving. I have taken the y plenum off to check the fuel lines to the hpfp, but don’t see any signs of leaks.

Is there a way to check if it is a leaking injector without taking the intake manifold off?

And on another note, what tool do you guys use to remove /install the injectors?

Spencer

Damn that’s too bad. Check the evap and make sure it’s not leaking there or where from where it attaches to the IM down to the hardline. Else you gotta pop the IM and re do it.

Did you replace the orings when u replaced the intake?

I used 3.2 ones OEM from dealer last time cuz they dont “sell them for our cars”

Check all of the HPFP points with the hard fuel lines. Several of those fittings are hard to tighten and can leak quite easy.

You’ll really need to start the car and then stand there until you smell the fuel smell. What I recommend is having the hood open with a flash light on and having someone key up the car. That will push the LPFP to prime the system. That along might be enough for you to smell or hear a prime event leak.

From there keep the hood open and start the car. Check each connection point. Keep in mind. Even the smallest little fuel drop will turn into a full flow of fuel when the car isn’t at idle with a load on the motor in D.

Also keep in mind that fuel will evaporate very very quickly so don’t expect to see fuel when the car is turned off. generally your more or less going to be able to see it when there is enough pressure to expose the leak.

Thank you both for your replies. Do you know if there is any functionality in VCDS to check fuel pressure in individual injectors?

By the sounds of it, I will need to pull the manifold again. I might as well clean and re seal the injectors while I’m there.

There was one fuel line I wasn’t sure if I tightened enough. It was really hard to get to and I couldn’t access it with just the y plenum off.

None. Idk if I’m just lucky, just never needed any special tool for that on both mine v10 or my dads 3.2 v6.

1 Like

Like you just pulled on them? Or used a generic tool?

Wigged and pull wigged and pull with my hands.
No tools.

They sell a proper injector puller. However when I used the tool it can also damage injectors. Wiggle can damage also. Do it slow and careful

To Count’s point - when I replaced my intake I had a small leak at the fuel line in the rear on the passenger side. After snugging that up it’s been rock solid since.

1 Like

I think this is the one for me as well. Did you have to take the whole manifold out to get to it or were you able to access it another way?

It’s tight, like most things in these cars, but should be doable without removing the manifold. I went out and popped the hood just to be sure and took a picture. In my case it was the fitting that’s kind of hidden behind or below the one that is most visible. I also can’t remember if I used a normal line wrench or a crow foot extension although I feel like it may have been the latter.

1 Like

Thank you! I forgot about those attachments. I couldn’t get a normal 17mm in there even with the y plenum off, so will give it a try with this.

Depending on how deep your tool box selection is you should be able to get a swivel head open end wrench on that. Or you can use a crows foot and a small stand off.

I feel quite confident that if you check your hard line connections. You’ll find the leak. Chances are it’s just a small weeping drip that only will be seen under pressure.

1 Like

Ran into a very similar issue this week, with a very strong fuel smell in the cabin. I thought it was the last injector on the right side leaking, so being in a hurry for a formal event I pulled the IM and resealed that 1 injector. Still leaking, actually worse.

Thought it might have been the same line mentioned in this thread, couldn’t get on it with a regular or offset open end 17mm and I don’t have a crow’s foot (but I’m getting one just for this).

Found a good way to look for the leaks though. I used a borescope (a cheap Amazon one with front and side cams) and I put it right down near this fitting and pointed the side cam forward which gave me a good view looking down the fuel rail.

Turns out the rail itself is cracked. Previous shop didn’t install the last bolt that supports the bracket in the back and so vibration caused a crack right at the end of the rail where it meets the line.

Nice catch, bad shop.

Ed