hood latch broken

Hello my firts topics and I have a problem I cant open the hood the wire is no more connected . Any one can help there no place to work on and I cant find the parts to know how it working.

Anyone can take à picture of the hood release please

check out audi world. Lots of topics in there about this on the d3. When I get time I’ll find you a link/repost it here

Tomorow we Will try with à camera cause from under its hard to see .

Welcome yan. Lots of V10 guys here and this has actually been talked about several times on here.

Ill have to find the thread where the one guy walked more though what to do. I found one thread but its not super helpful
http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=3250.0

What you need to do is get the car up in the air. On the S6 you have the hood latch right in the middle like most cars. Your best results will be doing one of two things.

1 you can go from under the car. Looking between the motor and the core support. if you get a long rod with a 90deg on the end of it you can push the lock arm over and release the hood latch. Its not easy but its how most guys do it.

2 this way is sometimes eaiser. You also need to be under the car. You also need a long rod with a 90deg bend on the end. What you do is fish the rod up to the core support. One your at the top you should be able to find the cable attached to the core support and just pull the cable back down. From up top. When you have pulled the cable down you can then pull on the rod wire

3 this is how I have done it in the past on other cars. And Im happy to help if you can post pictures. You can load pictures to the site by clicking on the load icon in the very upper part of the web page. Here is what you do. Take a picture of the wire in the car thats still left. Most of the time the wire brakes but it wont go into the engine bay. Find the cable by pulling the kick panel out just under the dash. From there you should see the cable broken wire still in the car. From there get a pair of pliers and pull on the wire. The hood will pop

If you have questions ask. We are all here to help

Thanks for the info justin. Ill try the solition 1 cause there is no more câble left on the support seem to be disconnect .

most go with direction 1. If you pull the kick nee panel you can maybe see if you can pull off 3 but it sounds like you have already looked and see there is no lead left in the car.

If you have one use an inspecton camera and get a good refrence when you put the rod or pole up to move the latch. Generally if your doing this on your own and done have an inspection camera you can get one for cheap at a hobofrieght. They come with a color screen and work well in assisting you where you normally couldnt see.

The garage where the car is call is friend from snapon to get à camera Today Just hope it Will work :slight_smile:

any luck getting this open

Im waiting for the New câble and latch before trying . Suppose to receive it wednesday. :slight_smile:

Yes its open :slight_smile:

Did they fill you in on how they did it.

Yes one was holding the camera and the other with à bend rod. Hé say was not easy u have to push the right spot lol . I try to put picture here but seem I cant so I put it in profile

Just did mine, use a coat hanger from the bottom between front of the engine and fans, put a small hook on the hanger and a slight curve towards the front of the car. Go straight up to the center of the the Latch and slightly to the left, you should be able to grab the cable and pull it. Took me about 5 minutes.

Can anyone advise on how I can open mine? When I replaced my fans I forgot to connect the cable to the core support, the little ball I see it hanging up there from under the car from the cable… No space to stick my hand up there and connect it

Yesterday I tried a coat hanger on the latch with 90 degrees on it and was un successful…

Is there a specific hole I would want to put a 90 degree rod in and either push or pull?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Feel you man. Same thing happened to me - I buttoned everything up and forgot about that damn cable. Anyways this was the video that helped me make a tool and understand exactly how I needed to get it inserted into the latch mechanism.

https://youtu.be/QqaHfRabQQ8

I originally posted that link in this thread but for some reason the video is showing as unavailable, perhaps because of hotlinking :man_shrugging:

https://forums.audirevolution.net/t/2008-s6-help-hood-latch-busted/7030/7

I made this tool but ccouldn’t get it still. Gonna get my race mechanic to bore scope to help me tomorrow

Worked flawlessly and took 5 min to find the trigger with the scope!

Thanks for sharing me that video friend

1 Like

Knock on wood. This is my most reliable audi I own at the minute which I think is saying a lot. Did a full stress test ‘mind you at high altitude’ so not full power output or heat soak, but it was 111 out and I beat the s6 as much as possible without any issues. All the coolant hoses, new radiator… lack of cats also helped reduce engine bay heat A LOT. Coolant temps never get over 221degF but hover at 210deg 90% of the time. I’m not afraid to drive it