How do You fix squeaking breaks?

Replaced the rear pads because they were squeaking.

The day after they were replaced they started squeaking again.
Maybe not the very next day.
Same tone same volume and the same amount of pressure applied causes the squeaking.

What do You do to fix this problem if it happens to You?

Bed the brakes.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bed-in-theory-definitions-and-procedures/stock-brake-system-bed-in

Bed the brakes process was done after the new brakes were installed.

I think it has something to do with the brake dust I cleaned off before installing the brake pads.

I think it allows the pads to move freely when braking.
Just enough to allow them to vibrate and make the squeaking.

I’ve found that brake squeaking is usually caused by very small movement from the piston rubbing the back of the pad.

Try this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/CRC-Disc-brake-quiet//N-268d?itemIdentifier=348169_0_0

You basically spread a layer on the back of the pad where it makes contact with the piston or caliper. Also make sure you aren’t re-using anti-rattle/springs or clips that cause excess movement and can contribute to unwanted sqeaking.

It takes a very small amount of play somewhere in the system to produce the vibration/harmonics you perceive as a sequel. I would take everything apart again and clean/lube the sliders, clips, and as swagr said, apply some sauce to the piston face. I use the purple permatex stuff.

All sounds like good info.

I’ll try the purple permatex stuff and let You know how it goes.

Thanks

Read a link saying Purple Permatex is bad for Toyota and Honda apparently.

Any one had a bad experience with the Purple?

squeaky breaks = “Be right back guys, I have to step outside to fart”

squeaky brakes = Gotta bed those brakes.

HAHA thanks for the chuckle!

I’ve never had any bad experience with it. (it can get messy if you smear it on lol).

+karma

this is a very popular forum spelling error for some reason

My personal favourite:

“I am defiantly going to do that to my car”
Did you mean to say definitely? Or are you actually going to do the mod in a defiant fashion, defying convention or authority?

there/their and your/you’re are the ones that i notice the most.

moot =/= mute

is a pet peeve of my own…

Friends - Its Moo: http://youtu.be/LiCa8hS7TLc

New rotors with the new pads?

I haven’t touched the front brakes. They look like they have a lot of pad material left.
When I replaced the rear rotors and pads I did the bed the brakes process.
They squeaked once and a while.
After about 15-20k miles they squeaked almost all the time when stopping.
I don’t stomp the brakes when stopping. If I do no squeaks.
But if I use them to slow down early and only have to barely bush them to stop the squeaking starts.
So I decide to change the pads because the shop I go to said they look like they needed replacing.
Did the bed the pad process.
After a day the squeaking started. Same as before.

Right now its old rotors and new pads.
I think I gave the pads room to move around because I cleaned the pad cradle pretty good.
The original pads when I replaced everything had to be tapped to brake them loose from the caliper cradle.

Have you tried the stuff I mentioned yet? The most annoying brake noises are causes by very lite movement, usually at slow speeds while light on the brakes like you mentioned. If your caliper guide pins aren’t lubricated well and there is movement on the pad backing you can bed the brakes a hundred times and they will still squeak in the circumstances you are mentioning.

While parked my car was side swiped.
Its in the shop getting repaired.
I’ll have to wait till I get it back to do anything.

Thanks everyone.

This is sad news. Never good to hear stuff like this. Good to hear its on the mend. You’ll be back on the road soon.

I’d like to say soon then later but it seems later is on the menu.

I am getting an estimate to paint match the lowers.
If its not too much I’ll have them do that also.
Maybe some touch up on the scratches.