How much power and torque can be wrung from an AVK engine with just basic mods?

Although I’m new here, I’m not new to Audis and I have owned a dozen of them over the years. I am looking for some solid information as to how much power an AVK engine can make with only minor mods to the intake and exhaust systems, plus a retuned ECU, and by all evidence, this seems to be the place to ask.

Back in 2007, I ran my '04 USP at a half-dozen local events in the SCCA’s G-Stock class and did quite well with it. Times have changed, however, and since I have time on my hands and plan to keep the car for a few more years, I’m in the process of going through it to refresh the suspension, brakes, etc., which opens the door to using higher-performance, non-stock parts for not too much more money.

As such, I’m considering preparing it to compete in the SCCA’s STX class, which allows ECUs to be retuned, intakes ahead of the throttle body to be replaced or modified, and exhausts to be replaced or modified (so long as a catalytic converter is installed within 6" of the exit of the last OEM cat.) See Rule 14.10, starting at p. 85, for more details of what mods are allowed: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2014%20Solo%20Rules%20Book%201%20draft%20a%20reduced.pdf

Assuming that I take full advantage of these mod allowances, how much power and torque am I likely to see? (I would love to install a lightweight flywheel, too, but that’s not a legal mod for this class.)

I figure I can get the car’s weight down to ~3275-ish in STX legal trim using parts I already have on hand and although I will be limited to 8" wide wheels and 245mm wide tires, I believe that if I can get a 3.2L level of power (or close to it) out of a legally modified 3.0 engine and do a decent job of setting up the suspension, the car should be reasonably competitive locally and perhaps even regionally. (Of course, it won’t have a chance at the national level – unless it rains! – but as I have no plans to compete with it nationally, that’s not a big deal.)

If it can’t make that sort of power (and my gut feel is that ~240hp / ~240ft/lbs of torque are the most likely answers to my question), then I think I’ll run it in G-Street instead, as I’m probably better off saving the extra money I would spend prepping the car beyond OEM specs and putting that toward my Cayman’s engine rebuild instead (unfortunately, I blew the engine at the track back in November and as I’m presently unemployed, I am reluctant to spend too much money on “toys” just now.)

In any event, thanks for any input you folks here can offer me (even if it’s not what I want to hear!)

And for the curious, here’s a photo of my car with the set of 19" autocross wheels from my Cayman mounted on it via 42 draft adapters. Believe it or not, but this wheel/tire combo is slightly lighter than the 18" OZ Alleggerita wheel/tire combo I’ll be competing with on my Audi and IMO, it looks better too!

http://audidudi.site90.com/_DXS5990a.jpg

Nice USP! If you get the jhm tune and downpipes you will be at more power than a 3.2, probably around 260/260

The 3.0 has a strong motor. The biggest hold back is the exhaust. Take the JHM solution. I have a automatic and the JHM ECU and TCU woke up the car tremendously. The manual cars are able to really wake up as they get extra RPM And these 3.0 motors love RPM. I can’t tell you power wise but performance wise there is some good power on the table.

Mod your air box. Take out the restriction in the intake before the throttle body. JHM tune ditch the cats get a good cheap 2.5 catback and if you get the JHM full clutch kit with LW flywheel the revs go up even quicker. For the hot track days the JHM intake spacers will keep the intake temps from getting too high and they even have lightweight rotors that make the acceleration and breaking better. Its not too bad when you look at it.

There was tons of debate but the proof is there. the 1.8T guys used to say if you have a 3.0 just sell it and get a 1.8T but JHM has shown a well modded 3.0 is faster or as fast as a stage 3 1.8T

Justin nailed it. Here’s the JHM product thread with more info

http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=2027.0

If only JHM would take that Supercharger for the V8 and make a kit for the 3.0 with a reasonable price tag. Then the 3.0 would REALLY put it down. 8)

I appreciate the input and no offense intended, but can anyone offer up something other than anecdotal evidence … dyno plots, dragstrip timing slips, FATS times, or ??? I have no doubt the engine will make more power with basic intake and exhaust mods, but I really would like to quantify that before I start spending money…

Lol did you click my link?

http://audirevolution.net/videos/75/take-2-1.8t-stage2-vs.-jhm-3.0-stage2

I think stock for the 3.0 is 16seconds…JHM got there in house 3.0 to the 14secind range…

Yes, but there was only one data point that I saw – 14.7 @ 90 mph – which suggests the engine is making ~220 hp. That assumes RWD, which overstates power somewhat, as it doesn’t account for AWD’s ability to launch hard. I’m not so much interested in ultimate horsepower, though, but the amount of torque under the curve, so I’d really like to see a dyno chart … anybody have one they can share?

I dont think you can look at the 3.0 time and say its this much hp…Check out thr link I put up. It shows in a real world real life example of the performance difference.

I wouldn’t expect a dyno sheet. Over teh years so many compamys jave played the dyno sheet game only to leave customers with a blank sheet of paper performance that the cusomers started demanding real time real life visual results…a dyno sheet is dependent on too many vairables even if you did jave a dyno sheet the times and video show you the real end results

Oh. To clarify, that car run 16.0 stock, then ran 14.7 with those mods. Assuming 220hp stock that would account for around 40hp of gain.

Based on your goals, stick with your weight reduction, lighter weight wheels if that’s allowed (not sure on the class restrictions) and any boltons you can use from JHM along with their tune… I would give JHM a call and tell them what you want to do and work something out with them.