How To: VCDS Logging on B8 S4

I originally posted this in the B8 S4 “Performance Expectations” thread, but I can’t update that post. I recently updated this on the other site with values from VCDS version 15.7.1 and some other details, so here it is here. If anyone has input on changes, I’m open. Just let me know. I know this is long, but it’s meant to walk someone through logging step-by-step.

Original post here (good post to go along with this): http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=2656.0

============

Several people have asked about logging their vehicle, so I put together a “how to” on logging with the Ross-Tech VCDS software and cable (VAGCOM). Logging is critical to understanding how your car is performing, and even more so if you are tuned. There are several parameters that can be logged that will give a good indication as to how your car is running, and if there are any problems. This “how to” guide will cover how to perform basic performance logging, and also how to interpret some of the results.

============

First, a few things:
*Every version of Ross-Tech software is slightly different. In terms of logging, the only real difference is the location number associated with each logging parameter. The name of the parameter will be similar from version to version, but the associated location number may be different. I am using version 12.12.1 in the screen captures, but I have updated the parameters from version 15.7.1 (updated 10/8/2015). Regardless, your version may be slightly different.
*One of the key things people like to log is requested and actual boost. In recent versions of the Ross-Tech software boost is not displayed as an absolute value. Some conversion and calculation is required. This is covered in the next post.
*While there are others ways to log a vehicle, this only covers using the full version of Ross-Tech software with their VCDS cable.
*Logging must be done with Windows software. That can be XP, Vista, Windows 7 or 8. Doesn’t really matter. An Apple/Mac that runs Windows will also work (Boot Camp, Parallels, etc.).

============
Getting Started
Step 1: Plug the Ross-Tech VCDS cable into the OBDII port under the dash on the driver’s side.

Step 2: With the car on, launch the VCDS software.
*Note: The car can be in the ON position or running for steps 1-11.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/jran76/VCDSstart_zpse122c8c4.jpg

Check for Fault Codes
Step 3: Before you start logging, ensure there are no fault codes. Press the “Auto-Scan” button on the VCDS main menu.

Step 4: Once in the Auto-Scan section, press the “Start” button to scan for codes. The scan will take a few minutes as it scans all modules. If there are faults, I would recommend saving the scan results (copy/paste, save, print), and then clear the faults with the “Clear all DTC’s” button. Once this is done, “Close” the Auto-Scan section, and return to the main menu.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/jran76/VCDSautoscan_zps2e94133c.jpg

Logging Setup
Step 5: Under “Select Control Module” press the “Select” button.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/jran76/VCDSstart_zpse122c8c4.jpg

Step 6: Under the “Common” tab press the “01-Engine” module button.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/jran76/VCDSmodule_zps5dbd824b.jpg

Step 7: In the Engine Controller module, press the “Adv. Meas. Values” button to access the logging section.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/jran76/VCDSengine_zps1564e92c.jpg

Step 8: Select the “Ambient Air Pressure” value from the parameter list. Record the value displayed for future reference, and then uncheck the box. The ambient pressure value will be used later to calculate boost related values.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/jran76/VCDSambientairpres_zps1dceb3fa.jpg

Step 9: Select the parameters you would like to log from the list.
*Notes:
-VCDS will let you select a maximum of 12 parameters, or 10 parameters if you use grouping (which is a must for good logs as we’ll cover below). So, concentrate on the parameters that are most important for this particular logging session. Fewer parameters logged will yield higher resolution logs.
-For general performance logging, I recommend the following parameters, but you can pick the appropriate parameter for your needs from the list:
Location Number- Parameter Field- Units- (details)
002- Accelerator position- in %
009- Charge air pressure specified value in hPa (specified boost+ambient air pressure)
018- Engine speed- in RPM
089- Air mass- in kg/h (intake)
186- Ignition angle; actual- in degrees
188- Intake air temperature- in degrees C
190- Intake manifold pressure; absolute- in hPa (actual boost+ambient air pressure)
418- IGA_AD_KNK[0]- in degrees- (knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 1- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
419- IGA_AD_KNK[1]- in degrees- (knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 2- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
420- IGA_AD_KNK[2] -in degrees- (knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 3- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
421- IGA_AD_KNK[3] -in degrees- (knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 4- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
422- IGA_AD_KNK[4] -in degrees- (knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 5- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
423- IGA_AD_KNK[5] -in degrees- (knock detection/timing pulled on cylinder 6- Just pick 2 Cylinders to log)
540- RFP_AV (bypass valve percentage)

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/jran76/VCDSloggingfields_zps77230125.jpg

Step 10: Save the parameter list so you can easily access it at a later time by clicking the “VCDS” icon in the top-left corner. Name the file “performance” or similar. If you have parameter files for other types of logging, name them appropriately.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/jran76/VCDSloggingfieldsave_zpsb4c2abf2.jpg

Logging
Step 11: This step is very important for capturing good logs. Press the “Turbo” button, and check the “Group UDS requests” box at the top of the screen. This will speed up the logging, and also group all 10 fields to the same timestamp. This is the only way to get useful logs (otherwise, each parameter will have a different timestamp).

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/jran76/VCDSlog_zps04769222.jpg

Step 12: Press the “Log” button to initiate the logging session. This will not start the actual logging process
*Note: Your car should be running if it is not already.

Step 13: When you are ready, press the “Start” button. This will start the actual logging process.
*Notes:
-Logging should be performed in a controlled area where you can safely reach 85-90 MPH. The drag strip or dyno are the best options, but in places like Texas there are some pretty safe places to do this on the road (I do it late at night in traffic free areas with 70+ MPH speed limits).
-Logging runs should capture a full 3rd gear pull at a minimum. 4th is probably a little better, but that should only be done at the drag strip or on a dyno. A full pull is around 3000 RPM to 7000 RPM. This can be tricky on a DSG car because you need to avoid triggering the kickdown switch at lower RPM’s. Play around with what works best, but the sooner you can get to full acceleration the better.
-When logging, the A/C and radio should be OFF, the windows UP, car IN dynamic mode if available, and traction/ASR OFF (hold traction button for at least 5 seconds to turn both off).
-Logging should be done on a flat surface, and if done multiple times it should be done at the same location and in similar conditions if possible. This makes comparing data more accurate.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/jran76/VCDSlogstart_zpsb7d252fc.jpg

Step 14: Once you have captured the needed logs, press the “Stop” button to stop the logging process, and “Done, close” when finished. The logs will be saved to the Ross-Tech/VCDS/Logs folder as a .CSV file (typically on the C:/ or wherever the Ross-Tech software is installed). It can be opened with Excel or similar.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/jran76/VCDSlogstop_zps68e72dfe.jpg

============

That is it for capturing basic performance logs. Below I cover some of the basics in regards to interpreting the logs.

============

In addition to logging the basic performance parameters listed above, VCDS gives the option to log many many other things.
*Some examples:
-If you are experiencing timing being pulled due to engine knock detection, you may want to log knock on each individual cylinder instead of just the 2 covered above. In that case you would want to log something like: accelerator position, engine speed, ignition angle; actual, and IGA_AD_KNK[x] on all 6 cylinders. Those 9 parameters may point to an issue with a specific cylinder.
-As you can see, accelerator position and engine speed are really needed every time so you have some reference point in the logs. Intake air temperature is also good to log as it will give a good idea on the conditions.
-More fields and examples are below (updated below).

Update with additional fields:

Misfires:
If you are experiencing misfires, you may want to log misfires on all 6 cylinders to see where the problem is coming from. In that case you would want to log accelerator position, engine speed, misfires all cylinders, misfires cylinder X on all 6 cylinders. These 9 parameters may point to an issue with a specific cylinder, or a more general problem.

Some (low number of) random misfires that DO NOT result in a fault code are fairly normal. I see it on most 3.0 TFSI engines stock or tuned. With that said, Audi has dumbed down the misfire reporting threshold, so it is possible misfires could be causing a performance issue, but also not trigger a CEL. I don’t have an answer on what constitutes a real problem… Maybe others can chime in. In the most basic sense, if you see a CEL due to misfires, there is definitely an issue. If you see a low number of misfires and no CEL, it may be normal. If you see a high number of constant misfires, but no CEL, blame Audi for dumbing down the threshold and try to figure out the problem.

251- Misfires all cylinders per 1000 rpm 0
253- Misfires cylinder 1 per 1000 rpm 0
255- Misfires cylinder 2 per 1000 rpm 0
257- Misfires cylinder 3 per 1000 rpm 0
259- Misfires cylinder 4 per 1000 rpm 0
261- Misfires cylinder 5 per 1000 rpm 0
263- Misfires cylinder 6 per 1000 rpm 0

Lambda/Air:Fuel/EGT:
Lambda or Air:Fuel ratio is important to understand for a couple of reasons. The most basic is to ensure your engine tuning is optimal. This is obviously more important with aftermarket (non-OEM) tuning. If you want to see what “normal” is, log your car with the stock tune, and the specified values will give you a pretty good idea for different scenarios. Assuming fueling is sufficient, specific and actual should be fairly close. If the actual number is higher than the specified value, you will start running into issues (not good).

On that note, if you are running E85 or the fuel system near maximum capacity, it is a good way to determine if fueling needs are being met. Again, E85 or if you are mixing E85 with regular gas, could present an issue on the stock fuel system. E85 has (about 33%) less energy per part compared to regular high octane fuel, so it takes roughly 33% more of it to run your vehicle. This can tap out the stock fuel system pretty quickly if too much is used. To run strait E85, and upgraded HPFP would be required. The advantage of E85 is the higher relative octane (close to the equivalent of 105 octane).

020- Exhaust temperature 1 bank 1 460.0 ∞C
021- Exhaust temperature 1 bank 2 459.5 ∞C
238- Lambda probes actual; bank1 0.9971
239- Lambda probes actual; bank2 1.0049
244- Lambda probes specification; bank 1 0.9971
245- Lambda probes specification; bank 2 0.9971
246- Lambda probes specified; bank1 0.9971
247- Lambda probes specified; bank2 0.9971
(note that 244-247 seem to be the same thing, the specified Lambda value, so logging one is likely sufficient).

Table to convert Lambda to Air:Fuel ratios:

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/jran76/LamdaVsAFR_zpsj6s7ctd1.jpg

================

Understanding the Logs
Accelerator position (%): Pretty self explanatory. In terms of performance logging, we typically want to look at what the car is doing under wide-open throttle (WOT). On most cars this is in the 93-95% range. It is perfectly normal for the car NOT to hit 100%. The car will adapt to the given range on each vehicle for accelerator and throttle positions.

Engine speed (RPM): Again, pretty self explanatory. This will give a good reference point in the logs when the car is at maximum performance/higher RPM’s. Like WOT, the best indicator of performance is going to be what the car is doing at higher RPM’s; say 3000-7000 RPM.

Charge air pressure; specified value (hPa): This is essentially what the ECU is requesting in terms of air pressure or boost in the case of the B8 S4 engine. This value is in hPa, and needs to be converted to PSI for more common interpretation. You also have to subtract the ambient air pressure to get the actual requested boost number.
*1 kPa=10 hPa
*1 hPa=0.014503774
So, to calculate the requested/specified boost:
Requested boost= (Charge air pressure; specified value hPa) - (Ambient air pressure kPa x 10) x 0.014503774
*On a stock tuned car, this value will be in the 12 PSI range max. Any boost over this amount will trigger the bypass valve, and be bled off.
*On a tuned car, this value can be as high as 17-18 PSI. The tuned cars request more boost than is possible to ensure there is no bypass. The goal of a tuned car is to use all the boost available without opening the bypass valve.

Intake manifold pressure; absolute (hPa): This is the actual amount of pressure in the manifold where the specified is the requested. So, like the specified value, it needs to be converted to PSI, and subtract the ambient pressure. The amount of actual boost will depend on the size of the pulley, and losses due to belt slippage or leakage, environmental conditions, elevation, etc.
Actual boost= (Intake manifold pressure; absolute hPa) – (Ambient air pressure kPa x 10) x 0.014503774
*A stock car will see boost in the 10-11 PSI range, but it will bleed off at higher RPM’s.
*A stage 1 car will see boost in the 12 PSI range, but it should not bleed off at higher RPM’s
*Stage 2 cars can see as much as 16-17 PSI. I have seen a max of 15 PSI, but that is in really high DA’s and we’re at about 600 ft. above see level (hotter/less dense air will make slightly less boost).

Air mass (kg/h): This is the amount of air the car is taking in via the intake. The environmental conditions and type of intake you have will effect this value. Obviously, more air can equate to more power, so the higher the better.
*I have seen the stock intake have around 1100 kg/h maximum in my logging (70F, 50% humidity, 2000 DA). Aftermarket intakes that use the stock airbox are in the 1100-1200 kg/h range, and aftermarket open intakes like the Roc-Euro and CTS are in the 1300-1400 kg/h range.

Intake air temperature (degrees C): Another one that is pretty self explanatory; just note that it is in Celsius. IAT’s have a big impact on performance. Higher IAT’s mean less dense air, less timing, and the chance of more knock/timing being pulled and other bad things like misfires. The lower the IAT’s, the better.
*During my logging (see conditions above), I typically see a max of upper 60’s with the stock airbox. With the CTS intake (open filter with heat shield), I typically see in the upper 50’s.

Ignition angle; actual (degrees): This is the total actual timing.
*A tuned stage 2 car on 93 octane should typically sees total timing in the upper teens or low twenties at higher RPM/WOT. On race gas those numbers can be in the mid to upper 20’s in some cases.

ING_AD_KNK_x (degrees): This is the amount of timing being pulled from the given cylinder (x) due to knock detection. The amount will wholly depend on the gas you use, the condition of your car, and environmental conditions. It is very possible (and good) not to see any timing being pulled.
*Something in the -3 to -4 degree range is “normal” in hot temps or with lower quality gas. I have seen timing pull as high as -7 to -8 degrees on my car which will absolutely kill power. High IAT’s are usually the most likely cause. Once IAT’s get into the 60C range, you will typically see some timing pulled, and you’ll see those higher numbers when IAT’s reach into the 80C range; especially when mixed with lower quality gas or lower relative octanes.

RFP_AV (%): This is the bypass valve opening percentage.
*A stock car will see significant opening because the car will typically make more boost than requested at higher RPM’s, and the rest is bled off—this is why stock dynos die off after 5000 RPM.
*A properly tuned car should see nothing here; 0%. Anything else means the car is not making max boost/power. There are some instances where a tuned car may bleed off boost. I’ve seen this happen on my 1-2 shift when I get wheel spin, and others have reported it when IAT’s get extremely high as a protection mechanism (Revo tunes seem to prefer this method as opposed to retarding timing).

Awesome stuff as usual bud! Much nicer writeup than I did that’s for sure… I saw the update on Vendorzine, those guys are lucky people like you and drob post over there still… + karma!

I’m not at home but one thing you may add(let me get more clarity first) for those who’ve gotten the APR dsg tune is the autoscan almost always hangs up on the AWD module I believe it is, again not at home so going off memory. It won’t finish and you have to crash it. So I go in and manually clear the codes section by section. I’ll get a more clear writeup tonight or this weekend. Not sure why this happens and I think I asked APR but never heard back, so next time I talk to them I’ll ask again…

Cool. Thanks. Just let me know what you find out, and I’ll update. I can update my post here now.

Oh, and a big thanks to you. I probably should have given you some credit in the thread since I basically ripped most this stuff off from you, and then just dumbed it down for general consumption.

Great write up Jran. I did a thread years ago on AZ, not sure how outdated it is now. This was at a time the 3 tuners didn’t like their logs posted, thus I added “don’t be a pussy” lol.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/474796-B8-S4-log-thread-Post-your-VCDS-logs-here

Good stuff reminding to get the ambient pressure and temperature such that boost can be calculated (if they desire) and more importantly, log comparisons can be understood.

Side note - I think that calibrators mostly care about the absolute air charge in hPa - not “boost”. Absolute pressure and temperature define what the cylinder will see in terms of intake charge ultimate temp and pressure, and ultimately the limits of the motor. Which is why you don’t see a “boost” or gauge pressure reference in the parameters anywhere in any Audi.

Thanks for posting a link to that. I’ll probably add it to my thread just as another good source of similar information.

On the other site, I added a link to your thread, and several others that were either useful in terms of logging or had good examples of logs from various tunes.

Updated with fields for fuel pressure, trims/adaptations, and injector duty cycles.

Edit: It wouldn’t let me edit the OP, so I added the changes below…

Additions:

[B]020- Exhaust temperature 1 bank 1 460.0 ∞C
021- Exhaust temperature 1 bank 2 459.5 ∞C
238- Lambda probes actual; bank1 0.9971
13- same?
239- Lambda probes actual; bank2 1.0049
14- same?
244- Lambda probes specification; bank 1 0.9971
245- Lambda probes specification; bank 2 0.9971
246- Lambda probes specified; bank1 0.9971
247- Lambda probes specified; bank2 0.9971
(note that 244-247 seem to be the same thing, the specified Lambda value, so logging one is likely sufficient).

194-199: Knock sensor voltage[/B]

Table to convert Lambda to Air:Fuel ratios:

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/jran76/LamdaVsAFR_zpsj6s7ctd1.jpg

Fuel Pressures, Trims, and Injectors

[B]87- Rail pressure actual
170- Rail pressure specified
22- Fuel pressure
187- Fuel pump, actual fuel pressure

Fuel Trims/Adaptations (%)
47- Long-term adaptation; bank 1
48- Long-term adaptation; bank 2
63- Short-term adaptation; bank 1
64- Short-term adaptation; bank 2

Injector Pulse Width (IPW in ms):
609- TI_1_HOM[0]
610- TI_1_HOM[1]
611- TI_1_HOM[2]
612- TI_1_HOM[3]
613- TI_1_HOM[4]
614- TI_1_HOM[5]
To calculate the injector duty cycle, it is something like: (RPM x IPW)/300=IDC
[/B]

Good stuff Josh! I started to log a few of these with the e85… Appreciate you sharing!

No problem. I’m going to go back and add some additional information about the new ones I added when I get a chance. I got most of these from talking with you and andthen about the E85 stuff, and just wanted to put them somewhere before I lost them.

One thing I’m still trying to figure out is the injector duty cycle, and I’d love to hear what you guys think about this. I’ve read so many conflicting things about how to calculate it on a DI motor, all the way to saying it’s not really possible to accurately calculate at all. If anyone has any ideas, I’d like to hear them. Here’s where I’m at (just thinking out loud):

On a port injected (PI) motor, you can take the injector pulse width (IPW), and calculate out the injector duty cycle (IDC). The normal formula is IDC=(IPW x RPM)/1200

In theory, the injectors have to spray much faster on a DI motor (4x in theory according to bhvrdr). So, you would divide by 300 instead of 1200. With that said, it doesn’t calculate out right as you end up way over 100% in most cases.
**A typical PI motor has an IPW around 2.5 to 4ms at idle, and may max out in the 15 to 18ms range in most cases.
**The 3.0 TFSI (DI) motor has an IPW around 0.6 to 0.7ms at idle, and seems to max out in the 7 to 8ms range. The logs I’ve seen so far show it maxing at around 8ms at 5200 RPM, and then declining to around 7ms at redline.

I bring up that last point because a lot of what I read said it doesn’t really matter on a DI motor. That it’s actually better to run the injectors near their maximum duty cycle, and in a lot of cases the need for more fuel is made up for by additional pressure.

Thoughts?

Just to add another data point to the injector pulse width/duty cycle conversation (that I’m having with myself):

My APR 93 stage 2 tune hit around 6.4ms at 5200rpm, and it tapered down to 5.4ms at 7200rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear.

The EPL full E85 stage 2 tune with the dual pulleys hit around 8ms at 5000rpm, and it tapered down to 6.2ms at 7200rpm (not sure on the gear, but I think 3rd).

I’m reading this with interest - don’t think I can add knowledge, but I have a few questions if you will indulge me…

A quick glance at APR’s torque curve shows torque at redline a bit over 20% below the peak near 5000 - that seems to roughly correlate to the 6.2ms vs 8ms width times you quote. And (extreme simplification I know) air available is proportional to torque…

It’s been too long since I’ve looked at logs - is absolute manifold pressure also down 20+ % as well to match the injector width time reduction, or is the MAP stay higher but the resulting internal restrictions in the intake system at higher flow (revs) result in less air and a need for less fuel? Is AFR constant from 5-7200?

Good points to consider. I had to go take a look.

Absolute pressure does continue to rise linearly all the way to redline for the most part. On my most recent logs from 5000-7200 RPM’s it goes from 1900hPa to 2100hPa in a pretty linear manner. The recent dual pulley logs I have go from 2100hPa to 2250hPa.

Looking at a recent set of logs from an APR stage 2 tune, lambda stays pretty steady as RPM’s climb. In 1st-3rd gears, it’s right around 0.84-0.85 (12.5:1) the entire time. In 4th and 5th gears it richens up just a tad to 0.80-0.81 (12:1). It may jump around a little, but it’s right at those numbers most of the time.

The 3rd gear dynos I have show the AFR (measured at the tailpipe) for:
-Revo stage 2 steady at 11.5:1
-APR stage 2 steady at 11.2:1 (older V2 tune)
-GIAC stage 2 steady at 11:1 on their older tune
-GIAC dropping from 12.5:1 to 11 from 3000-7000 RPM on their newer tune (not sure what was up with this one as it looked vastly different than the rest)

I should be hitting the same dyno again this week with my APR stage 2 car, and an EPL dual pulley/E85 car. Hopefully we’ll hit the strip together shortly after…

So : lambda remaining fairly steady, and decreasing injector pulse widths - would indicate less air present as the revs rise? (same amount of air + less fuel would lead to higher lambda readings?).

Could one use AFR, injector widths, and MAP to roughly calculate volumetric efficiency vs. RPM?

Air mass and pressure both increase, but so does fuel pressure for the most part. I think that is at least making up some of the difference. It does from under 1900psi to over 2000psi in the same span.

I found out today that the B8.5 (at least the 2015 I logged) has very different field names and ID#'s. I tried to use my normal parameter file, and it was completely jacked up. I’ll do some logging on the car again next week, and update this thread with the new ID’s.

So, just a heads up for now that if you have a newer car, some of the fields may be different both in name and ID#.

I think primetime told us about that a few years back. This may even have happened within the prefacelift years

Yeah, it seems like it may just be the later 2014-2016 models. The fact the regular existing tunes bombed on those models without some changes is a pretty good sign something with the ECU changed. I have a 2013 and 2015 I’m going to try and log in the next few weeks, so I’ll sort it out and update this.