Interesting 3.0 motor build thread...

Should be interesting and seems legit at least from the it will happen standpoint… We’ll see how it runs and such… Looking forward to it…

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/686718-2013-AUDI-S5-SUPERCHARGER-6466-TURBO-BUILD-ENGINE-quot-TwinCharger-quot

Seems like he has a history of motor builds…

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/430590-AUDI-S4-SINGLE-TURBO-BY-EDGE-MOTORS-!

Now that is a crazy cool build!

Twin charged is just so damn pointless. I’d be more interested in a centrifugal charger or twin turbo. Properly sized twins would also be way more interesting than someone trying to figure out the headaches of a twin charged Setup.

But his tuner is experienced tuning those “twin-charged” cars… lol Hope it runs better than 12.2!

I agree with you though why go the whole dual setup? Still will be fun to follow… Just went through his second thread other than a 13.x not sure I saw any other times the vids weren’t available…

First thread of this sort since the Eurocode built motor with special heads. 2 piece rods though?

Tuned by jfail? Lol

How’d that single turbo B5 S4 do at the strip?

How many pieces are rods usually?

The motor build should be interesting. I’m looking forward to that part of this for sure…

I have mixed feelings about the twin-charged setup (even taking Solo/JFonz out of the equation). It’s one of those things that probably makes perfect sense until you have to actually make it all work together. In theory, I think it would be a good setup. The TVS supercharger’s low end punch is a good match with a larger single turbo’s lag and upper end potential. You’d get the best of both. In reality, heat is already a major issue at stage 2 levels, and adding in hot compressed air from a turbo to the (TVS) heat pump that already sits on top of our motor is a tough thing to deal with. It definitely creates a lot of cooling and tuning issues that, I’m guessing, have been it’s downfall to this point. Built motor or not.

A twin tubo is another good idea in theory, but again reality has some challenges. The B8 chassis is an already tight package that has very little space. Then you have to add in the costs of two exhaust manifolds, an entirely new intake manifold, cooling, two turbos, etc. That just seems like it would get really expensive in the Audi world. I hate to even think what it would cost…

I don’t think a centrifugal supercharger would be a good match with the 3.0 TFSI without the TVS. The 3.0 TFSI without the TVS is, by design, pretty anemic down low. The boost on centrifugal superchargers (like Vortech) is in direct relation to RPM. Typically, it would work better on a car that already has a nice lower-RPM power band, and that goes away on the 3.0 TFSI without the TVS. Not to say it couldn’t work; it’s just probably not the best match for this engine without the TVS. If you keep both, that’s a lot of parasitic loss to deal with.

The above reasons are why I think APR started down the larger TVS path. That probably looked like the easiest upgrade path. Again, in theory at least, and we know how that has worked out. In reality, what probably makes the most sense is a more efficient twin screw style blower. Something like the Kenne Bell or similar. That could use the same packaging as the current TVS, but offer more efficiency at higher volume and boost levels.

http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Common/pdfs/TWINSCREWvsROOTS.pdf
http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Common/pdfs/acceleration-vs-boost.pdf

I’ve wondered why KB never put together a package for the S4/5 which has a large market potential, unless they just don’t want to support any non-domestic models. I’ve been looking at picking up an 03/04 Terminator Cobra this spring and the efficiency of the twin screw vs eaton is a minimum 70+ RWHP increase with no other mods. Love to see what that would equate to on our little 3.0.

The 1320 is nice to be able to pounce while in traffic from a docile cruise you can change that into a quick rip right away. That’s nice. But you lose out on top end.

We’re talking about a built motor here. We’re talking about a guy trying to make massive hp, which comes with massive top end…not a small supercharger that makes nice torque off idle. When your goal is to make massive hp, you don’t give a shit about ‘down low’. You need something with headroom and a big cfuge would fit the bill in a reasonably cramped engine bay where two turbos and all the requisite exhaust routing might lead to horrendous compromises. As someone who drove a Vortech supercharged RS4 that was making around 650 hp, I have to say this ‘no torque’ or ‘lack of grunt’ is greatly exaggerated, generally perpetuated by people who don’t have any seat time in one of these cars.

Fortunately if you’re concerned about being in the right RPM range most cars allow you to change gears.

People also forget some of the cfuge technology that is out there. I know there is a gear set that can change hearing on the fly, I think that is pro charger technology, but a sweet idea.

I’m not knocking the centrifugal supercharger. Like most things, it has it’s time and place. In general, they are efficient and stay relatively cooler than other types of FI. It works well in a lot of applications. For mass market appeal, it’s not a good match to the 3.0 TFSI without the TVS. That’s all.

I’ve had a Vortech S/C on a similarly sized V6 motor. It had it’s plusses and minuses, but I would have no issue recommending it for the right application.

Honestly, the most interesting part of the build may be how the transmission holds up, and how the upgrades go with the SSP clutch disc. This will (or could be) the first car that I know of doing the clutch disks on a high-HP build.

I love the Kenne Bell blower. The whine from that thing is nuts

What about this build?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1197290610298432&id=188549411172562

Wish they had a better tune :stuck_out_tongue:

Thoughts.

Looks like someone from the company posted:

[QUOTE=Alex@VAG;11373232]It’s a car we built for a customer. It is currently running :

Unitronic Pulley and stage 2+ software
CTS Intake and Catback
WaterMeth
And obvisouly NOS!

We will have to do DSG software and hope it solves the clutch slipping when we run nitrous. We are only running a wet 35 shot, the goal was use the nitrous as a chemical intercooler more than a performance booster to start and maybe go bigger after. We should have 034 testpipes, coolant separation and more agressive software from unitronic once the clutch slip is dealt with.

No quarter miles pass yet as there’s still quite a bit of snow on the ground, but once spring comes you can be sure there’s gonna be a couple pass with and without nitrous.
[/quote]
At least they plan to run it at the strip… Maybe one of the canada guys will see it in action

Will have to keep an eye on it.

I was always curious about using NOS for the cooling aspect vs just using its actual power benefits.
I kinda wish the setup was in the hands of a better tuner though… :o

Is not the limitations even the new aftermarket supercharger its cooling issues?